List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy trade worked out well because he sat out a year and he had some issues. The deal worked for them because they got a pick in before their academy player.

We got a bunch of picks and worked out quite well because that draft batted quite deep and we ended up with the likes of Cox, Darcy and Ryan. Logue is also coming good after being held back in his development due to injuries.

As for Hogan and Bennell. Both were failed trades due to off field issues and injuries. Hogan carried his injuries to GWS. Bennell could barely get on the park. Both made dumb decisions whilst off injured. Those sorts of higher risk trades can’t involve a first round pick. I realise Bennell was a late first round and we ended up Tucker but the GCS played picked up was Fiorini from memory who is a fast winger and goes alright.

Seems we have finally learnt our lesson and we should never again trade an early pick for high risk but talented players. I can cope with losing a second or third but not a first.
I forgot about Cox, best trade ever.

Yyour over the top criticisms of Logue will come back to haunt yyou when he’s a key part of our maiden flag winning side
I dream of us winning a flag and Logue getting the Norm Smith so JammoMonty will finally acknowledge the man crush he has for the Rowing Beast

McCarthy trade worked out well because he sat out a year and he had some issues. The deal worked for them because they got a pick in before their academy player.

We got a bunch of picks and worked out quite well because that draft batted quite deep and we ended up with the likes of Cox, Darcy and Ryan. Logue is also coming good after being held back in his development due to injuries.

As for Hogan and Bennell. Both were failed trades due to off field issues and injuries. Hogan carried his injuries to GWS. Bennell could barely get on the park. Both made dumb decisions whilst off injured. Those sorts of higher risk trades can’t involve a first round pick. I realise Bennell was a late first round and we ended up Tucker but the GCS played picked up was Fiorini from memory who is a fast winger and goes alright.

Seems we have finally learnt our lesson and we should never again trade an early pick for high risk but talented players. I can cope with losing a second or third but not a first.

In a strange way both Freo and GWS probably thought they gave up very little and got quite a lot.

Freo got three good players (and McCarthy) instead of one for the cost of a four pick downgrade

GWS got an extra top five pick for the cost of a player with baggage and a few late picks that would’ve disappeared when matching academy bids.

Win-win in a reasonably unique way.

We didn't really choose to trade either of those guys. Neale left because he hated Lyon, Cerra wanted to go home.

The Croad trade also included Luke McPharlin as a sweetener who ended up being one of Freo's greatest ever players, a fact that people who criticise Freo for this trade always overlook.

If they want to criticise a trade it should be the trades we made for McCarthy, Bennell or Hogan.
Neale invited Lyon to his wedding.

We didn't really choose to trade either of those guys. Neale left because he hated Lyon, Cerra wanted to go home.

The Croad trade also included Luke McPharlin as a sweetener who ended up being one of Freo's greatest ever players, a fact that people who criticise Freo for this trade always overlook.

If they want to criticise a trade it should be the trades we made for McCarthy, Bennell or Hogan.
Luke mcpharlin and Ryley Dunn vs Mitchell , hodge, croad...
That's a premiership backbone vs Luke.
We lost that trade 😉

Yes, yes I do remember the Croad trade. Not sure that can be used as a demonstration of Freo's trading prowess.

Can you imagine adding Cerra and Neale to our best 22 right now? We've made some good trades but trading players starting to come into their peak for a bag of magic beans is peak Freo of the past.
Now is the right time to be looking at adding experienced players that fill gaps, not high priced trades for areas of strength.

We are in the right place for developing Erasmus and Johnson for the midfield because we have the existing support around them, and possibly bring in Brayshaw as a freebie.

We are in a far better place to bring in a boost to our forward line than when we jumped at Hogan, so a potential trade from an area of depth (Logue or Young) for Jackson can be considered. And IF Logue gets big contract or trade offers, or IF Young indicates he isn't planning to stay long term, we should consider it.

Croad and the others are examples of clubs losing good players but improving overall. We have done spectacularly well with trading Mayne, Weller and Hill. Potentially that kind of trade may be available for Logue or Lobb. Perhaps Meek. Who knows.

The worst trade we've ever done and hopefully will ever do was the Hogan trade. Essentially giving up Ben King and and a 2nd round pick for nothing...
Yes, although I see it slightly differently. It was a failure in due diligence and internal club procedures, regardless of who posters want to make responsible for the trade.

With the benefit of hindsight there should have been a red line through his name. Trade value-wise I have no issue with pick 4 for a high end KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you’re the one having dreams about Logue

Are his arms oiled up in the dream ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
happy moves GIF by 7Sport

Pretty standard way to negotiate a price isn't it?

The deal Hogan signed may have been quite different before and after that event too. He was still paid well, but if he was still with us he would be our second highest paid player after Fyfe using that trigger clause. The initial deal may have been that money the whole way through.

It's comparing being slapped to being punched, but it could have been worse.

We are in a far better place to bring in a boost to our forward line than when we jumped at Hogan, so a potential trade from an area of depth (Logue or Young) for Jackson can be considered. And IF Logue gets big contract or trade offers, or IF Young indicates he isn't planning to stay long term, we should consider it.
Given Young is about to commit to the club for the next 5 years beyond this one according to this mornings reports, we can thankfully remove his name from trade bait speculation such as this

Given Young is about to commit to the club for the next 5 years beyond this one according to this mornings reports, we can thankfully remove his name from trade bait speculation such as this

A player like Young, contracted for five years would be a swap for Jackson and more coming back, so yes, it would put that to bed.

Definitely good news. But that isn't really what we I am discussing. I'm certainly not advocating trading him. I'm suggesting that our list still needs tweaking and given the stage of development our list is at, player trading should be considered. Lose something to gain something.

Spot on. I was a big fan of his but he killed any chance he had with these silly decisions. Put a fork in him for the time being.

I’ve warmed to the idea of Strom. I don’t really know why but I think he can be a good stop gap for 3 years.

Very fit, very versatile - 198cm, 104kg, 12/02/1994

His performances in the finals last year is what moved him into draft possibility.

A mobile forward who can help in the ruck forward of centre.

Otherwise we’ll go for someone unexpected from the VFL or SANFL who Walls has had on his radar for a while.
Don’t think he’ll move over East. Hes WA boy thru and thru. Exmouth lad and His younger brothers is a nloody good defender also.
Jimmy Millar is another who in the last 2 seasons has showed he has AFL potential. Go his head in the right footy space now.

I wonder if Luke Jackson will try and get Clark’s number next year… 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back