Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to note that Harry Sharp was mentioned as a defender for us when he spoke on that video.

Maybe it was just a typo from Channel 9 most likely, but I think there is also a slight possibility IMO that the club might trial him as a running half-back for us who can spend moderate minutes on the wing and be a fringe AFL player for us in 2022, before he can make that full-time transition on the wing and then also spend small amount of minutes in our midfield rotation for our AFL side heading into 2023 and beyond.

Interesting to note that Harry Sharp was mentioned as a defender for us when he spoke on that video.

Maybe it was just a typo from Channel 9 most likely, but I think there is also a slight possibility IMO that the club might trial him as a running half-back for us who can spend moderate minutes on the wing and be a fringe AFL player for us in 2022, before he can make that full-time transition on the wing and then also spend small amount of minutes in our midfield rotation for our AFL side heading into 2023 and beyond.
It's possible. It's also possible 9 news had no idea about some of these players and just randomly put in captions.

I think half back is a role where running capacity is not really a hugely useful weapon. I think if you've got someone who can run all day, you really need them playing on a wing or high half forward where gut running makes a big difference.

Mind you, at Reserves level, Sharp could learn a lot playing half back. Like winning contests, being accountable, reading play etc. Skills that might be quite transferable to senior level irrespective of what role he plays.

Given how serious Harry's ankle injury was, his recovery and return to running as well as he is is quite amazing.

He was given a much longer time than needed to recover which was a smart move by the club given his age. He's an exciting prospect and is looking much stronger already.

I think half back is a role where running capacity is not really a hugely useful weapon. I think if you've got someone who can run all day, you really need them playing on a wing or high half forward where gut running makes a big difference.

Mind you, at Reserves level, Sharp could learn a lot playing half back. Like winning contests, being accountable, reading play etc. Skills that might be quite transferable to senior level irrespective of what role he plays.

Teams are often running a defensive wing and an offensive wing and Sharp would really suit that defensive link role. He can use his running to get back and help and run off and get to space to give the likes of Rich someone to kick to in space and then link with the forwarding running mids and flankers.

He was more physically capable this year than I expected and with a year and other offseason in the gym you have to think his strength will improve coming into next year. He was willing to commit his body and I think he should do fine as an extra man in defence once he gets a feel for it.

Training at Yeronga this morning >

1- I left a little early this week, just as the boys were about to get into their endurance session, bloody very muggy there today.
2- Looked sharper and more up and about than last Friday, similar session to last week apart from a couple of drills.
3- Half field drills, entering F50/lowering eyes/creating space and the other end of the field looked liked quick play on after a turnover drill.
4- Extended session at the start of training on agility/balancing, strengthening knees, ankles maybe.
5- As per last week Hippy, H.Smith and Blake were the only ones not taking part in the majority of the session.
6- An overall observation, nearly all the guys have well developed shoulders, thighs not so much apart from a few eg. Lachie + his calves, Zorks, Adams... a fair amount would have what we used to call chicken legs.
7- Zorks getting some one on one work done on his running technique along with H.Smith.
8- Richy wasn't there.
9- It was slippery out there and there were a few falls, heart in mouth time when Clugga took a heavy fall and took a reasonable sized divot out of the ground, thank god he got straight back up and continued as per normal.
10- A few of the boys were counting out Fages doing 20 push ups(good form too from the old fella), later on it was done a few times after someone landed a set shot, I think the boys that said he would miss had to do the push ups.

And on another note, I'd say 90% of the cars the players drive are 4WD, spotted 1 pretty smick looking BMW.. didn't see who got out of it, probably Lachie/Charlie?? Who would be our highest paid player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training at Yeronga this morning >

1- I left a little early this week, just as the boys were about to get into their endurance session, bloody very muggy there today.
2- Looked sharper and more up and about than last Friday, similar session to last week apart from a couple of drills.
3- Half field drills, entering F50/lowering eyes/creating space and the other end of the field looked liked quick play on after a turnover drill.
4- Extended session at the start of training on agility/balancing, strengthening knees, ankles maybe.
5- As per last week Hippy, H.Smith and Blake were the only ones not taking part in the majority of the session.
6- An overall observation, nearly all the guys have well developed shoulders, thighs not so much apart from a few eg. Lachie + his calves, Zorks, Adams... a fair amount would have what we used to call chicken legs.
7- Zorks getting some one on one work done on his running technique along with H.Smith.
8- Richy wasn't there.
9- It was slippery out there and there were a few falls, heart in mouth time when Clugga took a heavy fall and took a reasonable sized divot out of the ground, thank god he got straight back up and continued as per normal.
10- A few of the boys were counting out Fages doing 20 push ups(good form too from the old fella), later on it was done a few times after someone landed a set shot, I think the boys that said he would miss had to do the push ups.

And on another note, I'd say 90% of the cars the players drive are 4WD, spotted 1 pretty smick looking BMW.. didn't see who got out of it, probably Lachie/Charlie?? Who would be our highest paid player?

Doesnt Matho have a Mustang?

Maybe not as an inside mid but as a balanced mid surely, hard to see what more he can do playing on a wing.
No doubt Hugh can be a full time mid but i don't see that happening next year for team balance
Each year he has got a bit more pure midfield time in games and i see 2022 being the same.

I don't see us improving as a team if Hugh goes into a full time mid role excluding multiple injuries from others

He would not take the roles of Neale or Lyons. Nor Jarrod Berry if we include him
Would Hugh be much better than Zorko and the hopefully improving Bailey when they are in the midfield. Possibly yes/no but not much difference either way
Then we have Rayner coming back who will get more midfield time. Then McCarthy gets a bit also during games
None of the above players are a better pure wing than Hugh although they do spend some time there during the game
Hugh is arguably the best pure wing in the AFL and i would keep him there for now

The other wing spot is Robbos to lose. Could be Prior, Dev Robertson, Sharp or someone from left field.
I see one of this group starting on the field with one other on the interchange bench

No doubt Hugh can be a full time mid but i don't see that happening next year for team balance
Each year he has got a bit more pure midfield time in games and i see 2022 being the same.

I don't see us improving as a team if Hugh goes into a full time mid role excluding multiple injuries from others

He would not take the roles of Neale or Lyons. Nor Jarrod Berry if we include him
Would Hugh be much better than Zorko and the hopefully improving Bailey when they are in the midfield. Possibly yes/no but not much difference either way
Then we have Rayner coming back who will get more midfield time. Then McCarthy gets a bit also during games
None of the above players are a better pure wing than Hugh although they do spend some time there during the game
Hugh is arguably the best pure wing in the AFL and i would keep him there for now

The other wing spot is Robbos to lose. Could be Prior, Dev Robertson, Sharp or someone from left field.
I see one of this group starting on the field with one other on the interchange bench
Honestly I think he would make a big enough difference in the middle to be worth it. I thought the game against Freo later in the season was when our midfield looked really balanced and probably at its best for me and it was made up of Lyons, McCluggage and Berry. Obviously a fully fit Neale probably changes that but Hugh's running power and class through the middle could be a real difference maker. I also like the depth and quality we have that play his spot on the wing.

Honestly I think he would make a big enough difference in the middle to be worth it. I thought the game against Freo later in the season was when our midfield looked really balanced and probably at its best for me and it was made up of Lyons, McCluggage and Berry. Obviously a fully fit Neale probably changes that but Hugh's running power and class through the middle could be a real difference maker. I also like the depth and quality we have that play his spot on the wing.
He also spent a lot more time in the middle during the unbeaten period when Lachie was out with his ankle.
And thrived during that period.

sven_inc how soon is too soon in your opinion?
Hey mate! It's a complicated topic, but in short everyone involved needs to feel confident the knee is essentially normal - if not better than normal. And what that looks like for each person differs based on a whole range of factors. From memory libba returned within a few months, and someone like Sicily will probably take closer to 18 months. It's impossible to tell without seeing someone like Hipwood up close, see how he moves, understand the severity of his initial injury, the quality of his surgery, and overall rehab achievements. Unfortunately for us, we'll probably only know whether he returns too soon with hindsight.

Sent from my T671O using Tapatalk

Do u think Hugh can be as good as or better than McRea this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back