Preview 2022 Round 1 – GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Saturday 19th March, Accor Stadium, 5.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Welcome to season 2022, everyone. I hope we’ve all kept safe and can now start putting the last two years well and truly behind us.

Round 1 sees us back at the Olympic Stadium for the first time since 2016, scene of our maiden finals win. Fond memories indeed, but it’s not our home ground, and the Swans are even offering tickets as a bonus game inclusion for their members. The AFL must be hoping for some kind of grand “back to normal” crowd, which is all well and good, but we should be playing to a packed house at Giants Stadium.

Let’s have a look at the team that won the EF in Launceston and what the changes might be:

B: J Stein, S Taylor, I Cumming
HB: L Ash, N Haynes, L Whitfield
C: J Kelly, S Congilio, H Perryman
HF: T Taranto, H Himmelberg, T Greene
F: Z Sproule, J Hogan, M de Boer
R: S Mumford, J Hopper, C Ward
Int: S Reid, D Lloyd, T Green, C Idun
Emg: K Briggs, T Bruhn, P Davis, C Stone

This was the best we had available that day, and they just managed to hold on in a thriller. Now, Toby is suspended, Mummy has retired, and Reid has been shown the door. So, who replaces them, who might return, and at whose expense? The pre-season might provide some answers.

With the club letting go of Mummy’s hand forever, the moment of truth has arrived for Flynn and Briggs. One of them must step up. Flynn, who's previously had ACL problems and was good last year before needing a shoulder re-construction, has been on the list for seven years. We need a return from him now, and he performed well against the Swans in Albury. It looks promising.

Preuss, who has finally managed a game or two in club colours, also looked quite good against Collingwood and was probably in line for his debut before getting himself suspended with a needlessly rough tackle. If he can stay fit, we might have more depth in the ruck than we thought.

The off-season saw a lot of speculation about the forward line. We need a key marking forward, someone to fill the gap left by JC. That was supposed to be Hogan, and still might be, but I can’t see him go the whole season without getting injured. We rested him against Collingwood after he kicked a couple against the Swans in Albury. He’s supposed to be back for Round 1 but we need more options.

Riccardi looked great against both the Swans and Collingwood and can take the spot filled by de Boer in the EF. If Hogan is out, de Boer will probably take his place. Brander also looked good in the practice match against the Swans and might get his chance replacing Sproule.

There’s been a lot of talk of Taranto spending more time forward, and he probably will, but the main candidates for Toby's spot would be Hill or Bruhn. Hill played in both pre-season games, kicked a few goals, and seemed to show some genuine commitment, so he will likely get the nod. If Lloyd hasn’t recovered from his concussion, Bruhn will probably replace him on the interchange bench.

With the midfield, it’s pretty well packed to the rafters with talent, and it’s great to see Coniglio back to his previous best. He looks like a new man without the burden of being sole captain. We also have some really good depth down back. Davis performed well on Buddy in Albury, and is almost certain to get the job on him again. Another player who might get a recall is Keefe, who’s recovered from an ACL injury.

All up, this is what I think the line-up will be:

B: P Davis, S Taylor, I Cumming
HF: T Taranto, H Himmelberg, B Hill
F: J Brander, J Hogan, J Riccardi
R: M Flynn, J Hopper, C Ward
Int: L Keefe, D Lloyd, T Green, C Idun
Emg: K Briggs, M de Boer, T Bruhn, X O’Halloran

In: P Davis, J Riccardi, J Brander, L Keefe, B Hill, X O’Halloran
Out: J Stein (omitted), Z Sproule (omitted), C Stone, (injured), S Mumford (ret) S Reid (del) T Greene (susp)

What about the Swans? They have some new faces and a couple of significant outs, probably the biggest being Papley, who injured his hamstring in Albury. They also lost Dawson and Hewett in the off-season (Dawson actually sang their praises at the B & F, then walked out). Another gun in Mills has been managing an Achilles problem and if he plays will probably be a bit underdone. But despite all this and their dislike of heading west, the Swans won’t lack motivation after we terminated their otherwise good season with yet another finals defeat. There’s also no Toby to torment them. And we’d better watch out for Heeney.

An intriguing sub-plot will be whether Franklin kicks his 1000th goal, and with hype like that, it’s a relief this derby is not being played at the SCG. If he goes ahead and does it, good luck to him - as long as we win.

Footy is back on the biggest stage in Sydney, so let’s turn out in force and make sure our voices are heard when the boys run out. We got a pretty good turnout for the practice games, hopefully that was an omen for the real thing.

Personally, I can’t wait to see our derby guernsey again, it’s a drawcard in its own right.

Let’s go Giants, let’s go!

Last edited:
Welcome to season 2022, everyone. I hope we’ve all kept safe and can now start putting the last two years well and truly behind us.

Round 1 sees us back at the Olympic Stadium for the first time since 2016, scene of our maiden finals win. Fond memories indeed, but it’s not our home ground, and the Swans are even offering tickets as a bonus game inclusion for their members. The AFL must be hoping for some kind of grand “back to normal” crowd, which is all well and good, but we should be playing to a packed house at Giants Stadium.

Let’s have a look at the team that won the EF in Launceston and what the changes might be:

This was the best we had available that day, and they just managed to hold on in a thriller. Now, Toby is suspended, Mummy has retired, and Reid has been shown the door. So, who replaces them, who might return, and at whose expense? The pre-season might provide some answers.

With the club letting go of Mummy’s hand forever, the moment of truth has arrived for Flynn and Briggs. One of them must step up. Flynn, who's previously had ACL problems and was good last year before needing a shoulder re-construction, has been on the list for seven years. We need a return from him now, and he performed well against the Swans in Albury. It looks promising.

Preuss, who has finally managed a game or two in club colours, also looked quite good against Collingwood and was probably in line for his debut before getting himself suspended with a needlessly rough tackle. If he can stay fit, we might have more depth in the ruck than we thought.

The off-season saw a lot of speculation about the forward line. We need a key marking forward, someone to fill the gap left by JC. That was supposed to be Hogan, and still might be, but I can’t see him go the whole season without getting injured. We rested him against Collingwood after he kicked a couple against the Swans in Albury. He’s supposed to be back for Round 1 but we need more options.

Riccardi looked great against both the Swans and Collingwood and can take the spot filled by de Boer in the EF. If Hogan is out, de Boer will probably take his place. Brander also looked good in the practice match against the Swans and might get his chance replacing Sproule.

There’s been a lot of talk of Taranto spending more time forward, and he probably will, but the main candidates for Toiby's spot would be Hill or Bruhn. Hill played in both pre-season games, kicked a few goals, and seemed to show some genuine commitment, so he will likely get the nod. If Lloyd hasn’t recovered from his concussion, Bruhn will probably replace him on the interchange bench.

With the midfield, it’s pretty well packed to the rafters with talent, and it’s great to see Coniglio back to his previous best. He looks like a new man without the burden of being sole captain. We also have some really good depth down back. Davis performed well on Buddy in Albury, and is almost certain to get the job on him again. Another player who might get a recall is Keefe, who’s recovered from an ACL injury.

Out: J Stein (omitted), Z Sproule (omitted), C Stone, (injured), S Mumford (ret) S Reid (del) T Greene (susp)

What about the Swans? They have some new faces and a couple of significant outs, probably the biggest being Papley, who injured his hamstring in Albury. They also lost Dawson and Hewett in the off-season (Dawson actually sang their praises at the B & F, then walked out). Another gun in Mills has been managing an Achilles problem and if he plays will probably be a bit underdone. But despite all this and their dislike of heading west, the Swans won’t lack motivation after we terminated their otherwise good season with yet another finals defeat. There’s also no Toby to torment them. And we’d better watch out for Heeney.

An intriguing sub-plot will be whether Franklin kicks his 1000th goal, and with hype like that, it’s a relief this derby is not being played at the SCG. If he goes ahead and does it, good luck to him - as long as we win.

Footy is back on the biggest stage in Sydney, so let’s turn out in force and make sure our voices are heard when the boys run out. We got a pretty good turnout for the practice games, hopefully that was an omen for the real thing.

Personally, I can’t wait to see our derby guernsey again, it’s a drawcard in its own right.

Bruhn's definitely going to play right? He had a significant midfield role this past weekend so I imagine he's a big part of their plans, would likely take Keefe out for him or Brander. Brander was good in the praccy game a couple weeks ago against the swans when he was playing the weaker competition but he didn't really jump out to me that much last week.

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Perryman David Whitfield
Kelly Green Ash
Taranto Hogan Bruhn
Lloyd HH Hill
Flynn Hopper Cogs

XO Idun Ward Keefe

Think that would be my team, might be missing someone, not sure about that last bench spot could go to a couple different guys imo

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Perryman David Whitfield
Kelly Green Ash
Taranto Hogan Bruhn
Lloyd HH Hill
Flynn Hopper Cogs

XO Idun Ward Keefe

Think that would be my team, might be missing someone, not sure about that last bench spot could go to a couple different guys imo
Like it but think Riccardi comes in for Keefe or XO or maybe even Lloyd

That’s the team. Keefe out for Riccardi. With XO, Ash patrolling the wings with Kelly and Cogs through the middle with a sprinkling of Bobby & Bruhn our previous lack of speed is not such an issue
Yeah really think this midfield is more balanced has a few different flavours then it's had the last couple years. Still has plenty of size with Hopper, Taranto, Green. Cogs, Bruhn and a bit of Ash give us some burst and zip that we haven't quite had and then Kelly is just sort of his own style of mid giving us really nice ball use and evasive moving. All these guys are capable of winning at the contest and we've seen more two way running from a lot of these guys so far then previously imo which has been inconsistent. Should be right up there with one of the best midfields in the competiton as far as depth of talent I think only the Doggies are better.

Don't expect Bobby to be a prolific ball winner in the minor midfield role he seems to have but think his speed is gonna be handy as a reciever and someone guys can target to get the ball to after we've won it, he's really shifty and could use his speed to burst away from the contest. Same could be said for Ash but he probably has more ability as a ball winner although don't think he'll be racking up big numbers either which is fine because we have plenty of others to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruhn's definitely going to play right? He had a significant midfield role this past weekend so I imagine he's a big part of their plans, would likely take Keefe out for him or Brander. Brander was good in the praccy game a couple weeks ago against the swans when he was playing the weaker competition but he didn't really jump out to me that much last week.

yes. Bruhn will definitely play.

There’s been a lot of talk of Taranto spending more time forward, and he probably will, but the main candidates for Toby's spot would be Hill or Bruhn. Hill played in both pre-season games, kicked a few goals, and seemed to show some genuine commitment, so he will likely get the nod. If Lloyd hasn’t recovered from his concussion, Bruhn will probably replace him on the interchange bench.

There are 2 too many talls in that side. 1 extra at each end.

Keefe and Brander to miss for Bruhn and XO I expect . De Boar could be included at the expense of any of Llyod, XO or less likely Bruhn

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Perryman David Whitfield
Kelly Green Ash
Taranto Hogan Bruhn
Lloyd HH Hill
Flynn Hopper Cogs

XO Idun Ward Keefe

No Riccardi, prob looking at Riccardi in for Keefe

The lineup we are putting up for this game is almost as good as we can get. I guess two points going forward are going to be
  • can we get the right players hitting form together this year
  • can we move the ball like we have in the preseason games. That ball movement through the middle was exciting to see

Reckon it may be:

HB: H Perryman, N Haynes, L Whitfield
C: X O’Halloran , S Congilio, L Ash
F: T Bruhn, J Hogan, J Riccardi
R: M Flynn, J Hopper, J Kelly
Int: C Idun, C Ward, T Green, D Lloyd
Emg: K Briggs, M de Boer, J Peatling, J Brander or L Keeffe

Probably a question on Lloyd, both in general and after his concussion; so de Boer might be a possibility (although he had COVID last week so could be iffy also).

Reckon it may be:

Probably a question on Lloyd, both in general and after his concussion; so de Boer might be a possibility (although he had COVID last week so could be iffy also).

that‘s a pretty good looking team. about the only change I would make is I would have Peatling ahead of a 32 yr old deBoer on a limited preseason. I like Peatling and I think he’s shown enough to say he belongs at this level - did some nice things against the colliwobbles after playing in the VFL game earlier in the afternoon, so we know he’s match fit.

I would even go so far as to rest Lloyd for JP anyway - I know concussion protocols would have him ok, but why risk it so early in the season?

I can also see Hogan and Brander job-sharing the FF slot throughout the year. Can’t see them both in unless either Riccardi or HH is injured.

Reckon it may be:

That'll be the 22 I reckon, De Boat.the only possible one to come in

Would be interesting if preuss was available to play

I reckon we would select him if he wasn’t suspended

Remove this Banner Ad

Back