Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, I never, repeat, never said he was slow. Others suggested it.
Its no biggy. Im saying he is every bit as much an athlete as a footballer. His speed ad strength are both excellent in my view. You are saying he is a footballer first an athlete second. I'd agree based on last year. Im saying his athleticism has come on in leaps ad bounds this off season.

Playing Pearce at FF last year was a big surprise for me. I think JL is plenty creative enough.
What you label creative (in the example above), I label a disaster. JL is still too nice for me. I would have told Cox he has not earnt the right to dictate where he plays and he should have played forward in that game.

What you label creative (in the example above), I label a disaster. JL is still too nice for me. I would have told Cox he has not earnt the right to dictate where he plays and he should have played forward in that game.

Still makes zero sense to me. Yes cox had looked good as a defender the season prior and was being talked as the best defender in the pre-season, but when you need someone to swing forward why choose the guy with zero experience there as opposed to the guy who's spent half his career there.

It made sense to me. Cox would stop more goals against than I expect he would contribute goals for and the player coming back from injury would better be able to dictate their own workload when playing forward over covering an opponent - especially when the key defender in the league most likely to run off their man and create the opposite direction is the very player we are talking about.

Playing Pearce at FF last year was a big surprise for me. I think JL is plenty creative enough.
A desperate and failed attempt to address a problem doesn't indicate a creative problem solver. It indicates it is not a strength.

That isn't a criticism either. Play to your strengths, and bring in others who can balance your weaknesses. Doing that is what makes a really good coach, manager or leader.

A desperate and failed attempt to address a problem doesn't indicate a creative problem solver. It indicates it is not a strength.

That isn't a criticism either. Play to your strengths, and bring in others who can balance your weaknesses. Doing that is what makes a really good coach, manager or leader.

If I recall, the thought process was around keeping the game plan as similar to what they had been training. Ie a >200cm marking forward in goal square with Tabs roaming at CHF.

Lobb not being available for the game, Pearce was a like for like replacement.

Pearce if I recall played a lot of junior football as a forward, so it’s not a huge reach.

“Drafted with the 37th selection in the 2013 AFL draft from Devonport Football Club in the Tasmanian State League, he played most of the junior football as a key forward.[1] “

...as did Joel Hamling in U18s for WA - just for when his name is thrown up as the forward potential. He even made the case himself to the club but was shot down. Different coach now though.

Are you assuming with that combo, that Hamling will not play?
When fit, he would be close to first picked. In my opinion.
Easily. People forget his close down speed and ‘blanketing’ of a key forward. Dominated Naughton so much, that he was forced to go down back and Beveridge actually complained. Pearce is difference in that he’s good at defending the space and not necessarily fast to cover forwards leading

The question or comment wasn't whether he'd been successful with his creativeness, it was whether he'd made many surprising positional decisions - Peace to FF was a surprise.

The question or comment wasn't whether he'd been successful with his creativeness, it was whether he'd made many surprising positional decisions - Peace to FF was a surprise.
As Walkingwounded has pointed out it is a long way from creative thinking. I agree with his thoughts on that the move was about keeping the game plan simple and as close to normal as possible. That is, it was a decision involving the least possible change.

The surprise to me was the decision to play a long term injured player in that position so early in their return. I think it was a poor decision.

The discussion was about creative coaching, not surprises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Walkingwounded has pointed out it is a long way from creative thinking. I agree with his thoughts on that the move was about keeping the game plan simple and as close to normal as possible. That is, it was a decision involving the least possible change.

The surprise to me was the decision to play a long term injured player in that position so early in their return. I think it was a poor decision.

When you're at the stage of a rebuild that we've been in, up until now, it's very unlikely you're going to see much creative flair and the coach in his second season will just be wanting to bed down his gameplan, which up until the the point that Lobb was injured included a 200cm forward for structure. So Pearce seemed like the obvious option. Not much of a surprise and more about teaching structure and not mixing it up too much which would confuse the (mostly young) players.

It's when you're in the 6-1 ladder position and you're pushing for deep finals and a flag that I'd expect to see creativity with coaching.

Criticising JL for not doing that yet is a bit of a weird take.

When you're at the stage of a rebuild that we've been in, up until now, it's very unlikely you're going to see much creative flair and the coach in his second season will just be wanting to bed down his gameplan, which up until the the point that Lobb was injured included a 200cm forward for structure. So Pearce seemed like the obvious option. Not much of a surprise and more about teaching structure and not mixing it up too much which would confuse the (mostly young) players.

It's when you're in the 6-1 ladder position and you're pushing for deep finals and a flag that I'd expect to see creativity with coaching.

I don't think anyone is being critical, just commenting on how we read JLo's style.

To quote you..."I really don't think Longmuir is a coach who surprises."

I never criticised Longmuir for not being creative, I'm saying it isn't something I have observed about him. I have not even suggested that being more creative is the best or most important feature of a head coach. I'm saying it isn't something he has shown so far.

I agree with most of your comments. Pearce was an obvious choice with few other options. I think it was the wrong choice because he was recovering from a long term injury and could place him at risk, and he had barely trained in the position. But I understand it. And I certainly think it is more important to lay down structure at our stage of development.

Last edited:
Yes and it's obvious why that is. Wait until we're pushing for a flag to see whether or not he has that element in his coaching.
Gee this looks like a sensitive subject.

To me both Cuddles and Neesham were significantly more creative coaches. It didn't equate to a winning strategy.

Yes because your opinion of JL's creativity or not is personally tough to handle. /s

Why does it seem so hard for you to admit when you're wrong?
What am I wrong about? I have agreed that focussing on structure is what he should have done. I don't see Pearce forward as particularly creative but rather an obvious choice. It would (or should have) come down to either Cox or Pearce. Neither option is creative or surprising.

Gee this looks like a sensitive subject.

To me both Cuddles and Neesham were significantly more creative coaches. It didn't equate to a winning strategy.
Just extending this, I would rate the "creativity" of our coaches from high to low something like this;
Neesham
Connolly
Harvey
Lyon
Longmuir
Drum

Are you assuming with that combo, that Hamling will not play?
When fit, he would be close to first picked. In my opinion.
Probably not. Hammers one of my all time faves, never put a bad shift in. But 29 coming off 2 years of serve ankle
injuries, and lacks some offensive attack. Think AP offers more. And would rather get games into Cox / Logue, before him as that’s the future backline. To top heavy to play them all.
Be great to see him out there again tho!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back