AFL Grand Final 2023 AFL Grand Final - Carringbush v Brisbane 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like anything looking at long term trends potentially makes the stat somewhat useful but in a specific game the state is more useless than "metres gained" and that's saying something
I've experienced hundreds of games of footy and numerous finals and premierships as a supporter. The only statistic I was ever aware of was the one on the scoreboard. The deep regret I have now is that it would have been so much more satisfying knowing Jimmy Buckley's "hardball get" numbers. Kill me......

Last edited:

Apart from our ridiculous preference to bomb it into our forwards despite continually being out marked by the best defences in the league, I think our issue was tired legs.
Our 2 way run really dropped off as did our pressure on the ball carrier. Together with the fact Lions (Coleman) hit their targets and speedy transition of the ball back into the forward line, we looked a spent force.
We need our mids to lower their eyes and provide better disposal into our 50m arc, our forwards need to learn how to lead into space (Harry need to work on his timing and stop continually over-running and being worked under the ball), and we need to stop having poor starts to the season. If we can win the majority of our matches in the first half of the season, it will go a long way to setting up a top 4 finish.
This exactly

Not gonna win anything by going on losing streaks. Cant lose more than 5-6 games in a year

This exactly

Not gonna win anything by going on losing streaks. Cant lose more than 5-6 games in a year
Let's build as much pressure on the boys in the off season as we can.

Let's build as much pressure on the boys in the off season as we can.
Nah but in all seriousness. A lot has to go right in a season obviously to have a real tilt. For once we had a fit and firing list at the end of the season, just ran out of petrol tickets and had to play against a side who hadn’t lose at home all year.

Top 2 is almost a must to win it now.

Nah but in all seriousness. A lot has to go right in a season obviously to have a real tilt. For once we had a fit and firing list at the end of the season, just ran out of petrol tickets and had to play against a side who hadn’t lose at home all year.

Top 2 is almost a must to win it now.
and you were going so well!

probably true but........

Thanx re edited.
poor old lucky lee takes a swing - fails - has to go back to the record books:

"hey, lee - come on, we're all going down to vicky park"
"no - I have to land an insult on the carlton board..............geez 5 to 1, they weren't kidding.........(mouth moving) wooden spoons in 1976 & 1999............* a dog......"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from our ridiculous preference to bomb it into our forwards despite continually being out marked by the best defences in the league, I think our issue was tired legs.
Our 2 way run really dropped off as did our pressure on the ball carrier. Together with the fact Lions (Coleman) hit their targets and speedy transition of the ball back into the forward line, we looked a spent force.
We need our mids to lower their eyes and provide better disposal into our 50m arc, our forwards need to learn how to lead into space (Harry need to work on his timing and stop continually over-running and being worked under the ball), and we need to stop having poor starts to the season. If we can win the majority of our matches in the first half of the season, it will go a long way to setting up a top 4 finish.
Two things about Coll I admired this year were that they are so well drilled and their fitness is next level. I have a mate who is adamant they are on the juice which in today's day and age I'm sure isn't the case. Their training facility must be chockablock with all the latest goodies and their Head of Performance and S&C guy are two very smart cookies (or cookie if the one guy is both).

I wouldn't know the first thing about S&C but from an outsider looking in, we have always seemed to be behind the 8 ball in this area considering we supposedly have one the best in the business running it in Russell. During that losing streaking, to me we looked cooked.

I've experienced hundreds of games of footy and numerous finals and premierships as a supporter. The only statistic I was ever aware of was the one on the scoreboard. The deep regret I have now is that it would have been so much more satisfying knowing Jimmy Buckley's "hardball get" numbers. Kill me......
... but, but Thy...

What about Jezza's metres gained?

The day after the GF and I’ve got to say it. Collingwood look unbeatable. They do everything better than everyone else. May as well hand them the Cup now and not bother about 2024.
Eh. They looked plenty beatable yesterday. Brisbane looked exhausted by midway through the third.

The day after the GF and I’ve got to say it. Collingwood look unbeatable. They do everything better than everyone else. May as well hand them the Cup now and not bother about 2024.
I'll call your pisstake with geelong, hawthorn, richmond.........we is all queuing up for our slurp at the soup.........

I'll call your pisstake with geelong, hawthorn, richmond.........we is all queuing up for our slurp at the soup.........
You are on thin ice. OMG if I hear Buckley say "their turn for a lick of the icecream" one more time. Tosspot.

EAD, Sidebottom, McCreery & Cox…
Can’t even shake the kids hands you scumbags…
The McCreery one was by far the worst, the kid extended the hand right in front of him and he left them hanging.
I thought he might jog over to the kid after they came off the podium but no...

Two things about Coll I admired this year were that they are so well drilled and their fitness is next level. I have a mate who is adamant they are on the juice which in today's day and age I'm sure isn't the case. Their training facility must be chockablock with all the latest goodies and their Head of Performance and S&C guy are two very smart cookies (or cookie if the one guy is both).

I wouldn't know the first thing about S&C but from an outsider looking in, we have always seemed to be behind the 8 ball in this area considering we supposedly have one the best in the business running it in Russell. During that losing streaking, to me we looked cooked.
Yep - I think there's way too many hammies/soft tissue injuries at our club.
I'm not sure what causes syndesmosis but there seems to be a bit of that too.
May be co-incidence but I'm not so sure.

It's not rocket science. AFL seasons are a marathon, not a sprint, and flags are rarely snatched. Hawthorn 2008 and Bulldogs 2016 are exceptional. Usually they're won by being better for longer, and allowing percentages and circumstances to bend your way.

Collingwood were the best team all year, 17-6 in the regular season is testament to that, and when you finish top-two, you give yourself a great chance. They were actually unlucky to draw Melbourne for the qualifying final, probably the toughest matchup available, but they were always in the box seat once they prevailed. They (and we) have a significant advantage when winning through to the Grand Final, because there's a 50-50 chance your opponent will be an interstate traveller, regardless of how perfect their own campaign has been, and they all seem to struggle at the MCG. The result yesterday was not particularly surprising, and only Brisbane's efficiency (and Collingwood's relative lack of it) kept the scoreline close.

And to win a flag, you need to keep presenting. Easy to forget that this time last year, Collingwood had played 10 Preliminary Finals in the last 21 seasons, and 5* Grand Finals... for one flag. Obviously Hawthorn and Richmond have gotten better value than that in the last 10 years especially, and hopefully we will too... but consistency of performance will be a challenge.

(*counting 2010 as one result)
The Dees should have done them in the first final.

We would have sent the Pies out in straight sets.

Blame the Dees. ;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back