AFL Grand Final 2023 AFL Grand Final - Carringbush v Brisbane šŸ†

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Itā€™s our next 6-8 thatā€™s the problem. Our bottom six is good enough when we arenā€™t stacked with injuries but the minute we have 6-8 on the injury list we become a bog average team.
wut?

Someone wrote during the week our bottom 6 wouldn't walk into the other top 4 sides. I saw players win a premiership yesterday who ain't any better than our bottom 6.
We were winning huge games, often easily, in our run that often had 6 good players out, including the Collingwood game. Our bottom 6 weren't too bad. Not to mention the bottom 6 more after that.

Alot say "you can't win a flag with such and such in your side". This proves you can. Billy Frampton now has one more premiership medal than Nathan Buckley. We all look for the perfect team. No team is perfect. We are ripe next year. The run of 8 losses in 9 weeks killed our season. Had too much to do and it cooked us in the end. 3 months of sudden death matches takes it's toll. Win 3 of those games, finish top 4 and I reckon we'd have won it this year.

Last edited:

Zero votes for Steele Sidebottom in the Norm Smith šŸ¤Ø

Itā€™s a bit of a spew that they managed to win this one as I canā€™t see them being competitive in 2 years with all the inevitable outgoings. The Weagles had way less resting on 30+ year olds in 2018 than the Pies did this year.

Of their Premiership winning side, 9 will be 30+ next year. That doesnā€™t include Adams, who didnā€™t play but is absolutely best 18.

To illustrate how dire itā€™s gonna get, here are the 10 with their successors that are on their current list (that didnā€™t play yesterday, obviously):
Scott Pendlebury - Fin Macrae
Jeremy Howe - Trey Ruscoe
Steel Sidebottom - John Noble
Mason Cox - Oscar Steene
Jamie Elliot - Trent Bianco?
Brodie Mihochek - Ash Johnson
Tom Mitchell - Reef McInnes
Will Hoskin Elliot - Arlo Draper
Taylor Adams - Ed Allan
Jack Crisp - Jakob Ryan

They are deadset cooked with that list profile! Theyā€™ve pulled it off this year and thatā€™s what theyā€™ll be judged on but wow, if the Lions knocked them off weā€™d have had years and years to hold over them.

It was a great game though and they did deserve to win, and were very fun to watch. But wowee we couldā€™ve had a golden era of taunting the black and white army had they lost in the last minute then fell away to obscurity for years.

Itā€™s our next 6-8 thatā€™s the problem. Our bottom six is good enough when we arenā€™t stacked with injuries but the minute we have 6-8 on the injury list we become a bog average team.
Far from it. Our depth is deeper than almost all teams. We used more players than Melbourne and Brisbane this year because of injury.

Brisbane had 9 players play every game, a further 3 miss one game and a further 3 miss two games. A total of 15 players missed 2 games or less.

Collingwood had 4 players every game, 3 miss one game, 5 miss two games. A total of 12 players missed 2 or less.

Melbourne, 5 every game, 4 miss one game, 5 miss 2. Total of 14 missed less 2 or less.

GWS, 3 every game, 3 miss 1 game and 2 miss 2 games. Total of 8 missed 2 or less.

Port, 6 played every game, 3 missed one game, 1 missed one game. A total of 10 missed 2 or less.

Carlton 2 played every game, 2 missed one game and 2 missed two games. A total of 6 players missed 2 games or less.

Our depth stacked up very well.

Last edited:
Far from it. Our depth is deeper than almost all teams. We used more players than Melbourne and Brisbane this year because of injury.

Brisbane had 9 players play every game, a further 3 miss one game and a further 3 miss two games. A total of 15 players missed 2 games or less.

Collingwood had 4 players every game, 3 miss one game, 5 miss two games. A total of 12 players missed 2 or less.

Melbourne, 5 every game, 4 miss one game, 5 miss 2. Total of 14 missed less 2 or less.

GWS, 3 every game, 3 miss 1 game and 2 miss 2 games. Total of 8 missed 2 or less.

Port, 6 played every game, 3 missed one game, 1 missed one game. A total of 10 missed 2 or less.

Carlton 2 played every game, 2 missed one game and 2 missed two games. A total of 6 players missed 2 games or less.

Our depth stacked up very well.
I think we tend to drop off significantly when a certain amount of players arenā€™t in our forward half and backline. Thatā€™s just what my eyes tell me. I canā€™t argue with those numbers though

Itā€™s a bit of a spew that they managed to win this one as I canā€™t see them being competitive in 2 years with all the inevitable outgoings. The Weagles had way less resting on 30+ year olds in 2018 than the Pies did this year.

Of their Premiership winning side, 9 will be 30+ next year. That doesnā€™t include Adams, who didnā€™t play but is absolutely best 18.

To illustrate how dire itā€™s gonna get, here are the 10 with their successors that are on their current list (that didnā€™t play yesterday, obviously):
Scott Pendlebury - Fin Macrae
Jeremy Howe - Trey Ruscoe
Steel Sidebottom - John Noble
Mason Cox - Oscar Steene
Jamie Elliot - Trent Bianco?
Brodie Mihochek - Ash Johnson
Tom Mitchell - Reef McInnes
Will Hoskin Elliot - Arlo Draper
Taylor Adams - Ed Allan
Jack Crisp - Jakob Ryan

They are deadset cooked with that list profile! Theyā€™ve pulled it off this year and thatā€™s what theyā€™ll be judged on but wow, if the Lions knocked them off weā€™d have had years and years to hold over them.

It was a great game though and they did deserve to win, and were very fun to watch. But wowee we couldā€™ve had a golden era of taunting the black and white army had they lost in the last minute then fell away to obscurity for years.

Fly will try to emulate Clarko and top up to plug holes to continue the premiership window.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fly will try to emulate Clarko and top up to plug holes to continue the premiership window.
Yeah, I agree - I just don't see how they're going to achieve that given how much money is tied up in their top end by all reports. Plus, they have no depth to trade out. Of the players that didn't play in the 23 on the weekend that are 28 or younger, all would only have nominal value on the trade table except John Noble and Ash Johnson - both of which would command a late 2nd or early 3rd at most.

Anyway, credit to them - they've achieved the ultimate. That list just looks like a disaster waiting to happen in a few years.

what was the crowd yesterday, aside from the usual personal hygiene issues?

F7T7V2JbAAAabeZ

Yeah, I agree - I just don't see how they're going to achieve that given how much money is tied up in their top end by all reports. Plus, they have no depth to trade out. Of the players that didn't play in the 23 on the weekend that are 28 or younger, all would only have nominal value on the trade table except John Noble and Ash Johnson - both of which would command a late 2nd or early 3rd at most.

Anyway, credit to them - they've achieved the ultimate. That list just looks like a disaster waiting to happen in a few years.
I'm not so sure it does. Plenty of variety and talent in their below 27 demographics.

anyone thinking the pies will fall off the earth in the next few years is being a little overly hopeful - they have the same opportunities to bring in new talent as the rest of us - sure their draft picks may be shallow but that will made up for by now being the ultimate destination club...............

little overly - foxymoron?

Hey dude we came third, from the top, not third last!!!! WTF is going through these people's heads? We came third and are happy, better be careful they'll be telling us we're accepting failure, settling for second best, blah, blah, blah..........

Same campaigners no matter what the Team achieves, should we win the flag next year, it'll be that we didn't smash them, and win by 50 points......

Someone wrote during the week our bottom 6 wouldn't walk into the other top 4 sides. I saw players win a premiership yesterday who ain't any better than our bottom 6.

I doubt the average supporter could name the bottom 6 of every top 4 side. šŸ˜‚

Hey dude we came third, from the top, not third last!!!! WTF is going through these people's heads? We came third and are happy, better be careful they'll be telling us we're accepting failure, settling for second best, blah, blah, blah..........

Same campaigners no matter what the Team achieves, should we win the flag next year, it'll be that we didn't smash them, and win by 50 points......
Lol chill dude, even the itks just said the club believe we need to strengthen our depth. I donā€™t think Iā€™m being unreasonable. Great finish to the year but if we just ignore what happened throughout the campaign and just expect weā€™ll continue onto next year in the same way we ended the year then weā€™re just being complacent. Weā€™ve got to keep the standard high now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back