List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Current status of Parish talks with the Bombers:
  • Wants a 6 yr deal - Bombers are offering 5
  • $50k to $100k difference between them per year. Which equates to about $500k across the contract
Looking at what the player wants - would we be interested? I think he'd be great in our midfield.
Would take in a heartbeat

They’d drop Fox before Florent I reckon.
Fox is now in his 30's and looks a touch slower this season compared to his last 2. Can see him falling out of favour pretty quickly tbh.

Honestly I'd completely reshape our midfield set up next season, starting with getting a proven contested ball winner in along with grundy, add in Sheldrick and keep rowy. Parker can go forward or play as sub idc. Mills can swing between mid and back. Mcinerney and gulden stay on wing. Warner splits between mid and forward.

Let us suppose North get the ultimate rort in pick 2 for McKay.

Would I be correct in assuming that Gold Coast’s first (say Pick 5) drops to Pick 6 - thereby costing them a bunch of precious points needed for academy kids?

And the double whammy of having to match North’s inevitable bid for Walter at pick 2 makes it feel as the Gold Coast REALLY get screwed by the AFL’s desperate (and unfair) attempts to help a Victorian basket case.

Doesn't chase and not a great kick. Would want massive dollars. Pass.
Both can be taught. But I think a more attacking mid is required and most of them are not two way runners so we'd likely have to teach whoever we get regardless.

Would I be correct in assuming that Gold Coast’s first (say Pick 5) drops to Pick 6 - thereby costing them a bunch of precious points needed for academy kids?

And the double whammy of having to match North’s inevitable bid for Walter at pick 2 makes it feel as the Gold Coast REALLY get screwed by the AFL’s desperate (and unfair) attempts to help a Victorian basket case.

McKay is an average KPD imo. I am shocked we'd think of offering $750-800k pa.

I reckon West Coast suffers more than Gold Coast, especially if North take Curtin with pick 2.

Both can be taught. But I think a more attacking mid is required and most of them are not two way runners so we'd likely have to teach whoever we get regardless.

Bit old for Parish to learn. That said I think his tackle numbers are up this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Current status of Parish talks with the Bombers:
  • Wants a 6 yr deal - Bombers are offering 5
  • $50k to $100k difference between them per year. Which equates to about $500k across the contract
Looking at what the player wants - would we be interested? I think he'd be great in our midfield.
I am not a Darcy Parish fan. I don't see him improving our mid field significantly. At 66% efficiency with a high number of those in the contest, he still probably lacks foot skils to be in the top echelon.

Like your approach.
Reid depends entirely on his body. If fit re-sign one year.
Wicks re-sign 2 or 3 years high value player.
Melican hope Norf take him. We get late second or third round compo. Too fragile.
Gould is already gone in his mind. Trade if someone is interested or delist.
HHK 2 years has shown enough. Sharp.
Clarke delist which makes me sad 😢.
Rankin delist hasn't shown enough.
Magor re-sign one year still as a rookie.
Edwards re-sign probably one year.
Owen delist hasn't shown enough.
Sheather delist body has failed 😭
Stephens trade.
That's seven plus the three retirees if Reid is OK.
Ten slots in total should be more than enough remembering two are needed for Buller and Arnold.
Personally I think you’re over stating the case for HHK.

I’m not sure he’s shown enough at VFL level to suggest it could translate to AFL level. Gould has, to my eye, appeared far more potent since his shift forward.

I believe Gould is ahead of HHK in the clamber for list spots.

Agree, it’s a rort. There shouldn’t be any compensation for a free agent. That’s the whole idea of it being “free” there shouldn’t be a cost to the competition.
I agree, the game has to grow up around FA and stop giving clubs compo picks for not being able to hang on to their own players.

Honestly I'd completely reshape our midfield set up next season, starting with getting a proven contested ball winner in along with grundy, add in Sheldrick and keep rowy. Parker can go forward or play as sub idc. Mills can swing between mid and back. Mcinerney and gulden stay on wing. Warner splits between mid and forward.
The final metamorphosis for Gould, will emerge next year as a midfield bull............okay, maybe not.

Good point - although I can’t see North taking Curtin.

More likely they’d take Reid, then bid on Walter before taking McKercher when the Walter bid is matched.

Bid on Walter, yes (pushing WC pick back to #4 in this scenario). But McKercher, not so sure. They have said publicly that they know they have taken a lot of mids in recent years and now they need to get some key position players in. Definite chance they could take Curtin (or another tall, although pick 2 seems a bit early for Sullivan).

I agree with the midfield needing to be remodelled with a particular focus on the contested side of the game. I just think the players are already there and we don't really use them.

An interesting phenomenon I think is Swans fans' belief that we lack hardness, big bodies, a JPK type etc. in the mids, but then not being willing to entertain any players who fit that bill because they're sucked in by the more dynamic Gulden, Warner, Papley types.

People can't have it both ways.

People seem to forget that Grundy had several years of average or poor form before leaving the Pies. Yes, there were Covid impacts and some injuries, but plenty of criticism came his way after the big new deal.

Struggling ruckman 'a work in progress', Pies tap into Anzac history

He'd be an upgrade on Ladhams for sure, based on his reliability alone. But we'd not want to fork out too much for someone who might just try and coast along if things aren't going well.

I have a few questions about our list management About our current players coming out of contract. Thus far we have three retirees in Buddy, Paddy and RJ.

1. Do you think Sam Reid should or will be offered another one year extension? There has been no noise from the Club, perhaps pending how his op went. It seems he was the last player Re-Contracted last year. Would another Club offer a lifeline? Irrespective, the issue should not affect our trading or drafting strategy. Retire/delist
  2. Will Sam Wicks be offered a two or three year extension? Imo he certainly deserves one. Beyond JK and Paps we lack small forwards. He strikes me as a priority signing. Re-sign
  3. Like Reid, Lewis Melican has an unreliable body. The rumour last year was he was asked to check interest from other Clubs. True or not he is still here on his last contract year. Should he be extended? At best I would offer a Rookie contract. He is a RFA but doubt other Clubs will be interested, unless they are spelled N.O.R.F. Rookie
  4. Has WillGould shown enough as a robust clever forward to be offered another year? Do you reckon other Clubs may have an interest? I reckon he has a future, hopefully with us. Re-sign.
  5. Hugo Hall-Kahan has not debuted but has shown enough imo to get an extension. He is smart and a great kick. Other Clubs will be interested if we are not. I would keep but fear he is a goner. Your thoughts? Trade/Delist
  6. Clarkey has two skills. At lower levels he is a ball magnet but wastes the ball. In the seniors he can do a pure negation role but can be a liability. He has not had a good year but guess he is something of a role model for fitness and getting the most out of himself. Should he be given an extension? Imo no. De-list.
  7. Rankin is still young and a great kick when he is not over reaching. He was something of a revelation when thrown forward in the last game of the season. Should he be kept as cover for Cunningham and Lloyd or as a potential cover as a small pressure forward? Re-sign
  8. Magor has probably been the best of our newbies in the 2s and played forward and back. He uses the ball well but really needs to put on weight. Re-sign
  9. I am a fan of Edwards but realise many are not. He is big and a bit unco and spent the season being educated as a lockdown KPD. In 2022 he sometimes played ruck and a bit forward. We need depth in our talls and the big unit offers this as a development project. I am biased but think we should keep. Your thoughts? Re-sign
  10. I feel for Cam Owen. He is big kid who we have tried forward and back with the odd run in the ruck. As a young Giraffe he is yet to grow into his body. In contests I’ve noted he does not have much of a leap. He is a classic project player but reckon we will take May. Thoughts? Delist
  11. Sadly Sheather has been injury prone in his time with us and imo has not shown enough to persist with. Delist.
  12. FFS. PLEASE GIVE McLEAN A DECENT CONTRACT.
I expect Stephens will be traded.

I’ve probably forgotten someone. I have assumed we keep both Arnold and Buller. This means we need to find two list spots before finding spots for a couple of trades, three main list draftees and a couple of rookie listed players.

I have not cut hard enough. Aside from Stephens there may be other trades sought for currently contracted players.

1) Reid - delist/retire.

2) Wicks - I'd like 1 year to keep him honest but probably need to give 2 years.

3) Melican - I've defended his honour before, but I don't think we can trust his body. If he wants to explore FA then so be it. Otherwise 1 year or rookie.

4) Gould - if we lose Melican, extend for 1 year. Unless he's got interest elsewhere, he's become valuable at either end in the VFL, and I'm interested to see what he can do with more time up forward. Plus we can't afford to lose much KPD talent as it is. Rookie risks us losing him for nothing, same as Melican.

5) Delist Clarke, Owen, Sheather (unlucky).

6) Keep HHK, Magor, Rankin, McAndrew. Isn't Edwards contracted?

7) It's purely up to Stephens, we've offered him a deal. If he finishes the year off well I'd put some extra $$ in the deal to get it done, assuming we're not offering him big money already (why would we).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back