List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:

I'll run naked down Pitt St if we managed to get O'Sullivan. That's hoiw sure I am that we won't.
Futurama Bender GIF

I think it is a case of the Swans have most bases covered. Just bringing in ANOTHER draftee does not ADD to the list. We want QUALITY. If we have to spend 2 picks to do it then we will. Another QUALITY player will improve the list. Another draftee of average WONT.
I think this is where we are now.
100% this. Draft quality.

2 new power rankings dropping this morning!

Cal Twomey with his latest Top 30 Form Guide
(Links us to a number of players, which means I don't think he has a clue!)

Ben Waterworth (Fox Footy) with his 26-50 Power Rankings (spoiler: Caiden at 41)

As noted by BW - Note: This is not a ‘phantom draft’ predicting where players will be taken across the draft nights.
I think Twomey has been getting a lot of conflicting messages after about 12 and seems to be struggling to make up his mind. A few big sliders eg Murphy down to 24 from 13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I look at fantast drafts and what is available at our pick in the mid teens, and
what our needs are,
not mids, we drafted in heaps and have Shedrick, Roberts, Corey with 3 preseasons now
not KPD as we have ample(quality is questionable) but that is how we roll
that leaves KPF and Ruck.
KPF at our pick is probably Archer Reid.
Ruck is Will Green
I like the look of Green. Archer has question marks.
If we don't trade up then itis Green for me. Ruck sorted for the next 10 years with Stretch.

The more I look at fantast drafts and what is available at our pick in the mid teens, and
what our needs are,
not mids, we drafted in heaps and have Shedrick, Roberts, Corey with 3 preseasons now
Ruck is Will Green
If we don't trade up then itis Green for me. Ruck sorted for the next 10 years with Stretch.
If he gets through to the rookie draft we should take a look at Wil Dawson from Vic Country. 200cm and decent build. Played both forward and back and did OK at both. Gippsland boy. Most likely to end up a KPD but is OK below the knees and has good closing speed. Strong mark.
December birthday.

what our needs are,
Ruck is Will Green
There are other needs/team roles other than ruck, midfield and KPF/D. Lots of them.

Plus we’re not drafting for next season but for the next decade or more. We have plenty of regeneration and renewal required, especially in our backline over the next two to three years.

It really should be a case of “best available” at our first pick. With the proviso of “not a 180-185cm pure onballer” given we probably have Cleary lined up.

I think Twomey has been getting a lot of conflicting messages after about 12 and seems to be struggling to make up his mind. A few big sliders eg Murphy down to 24 from 13.
That list is a tease - indicating we could be a shot getting Wilson which Swans should RUN to the phone to get done if it happened.

Norf would be a very likely landing spot for Murphy and one of the Rucks Green or Edwards with their late teen picks. Get a small to go with them in DeMattia or Collard.

If they can land them as well as McKercher and Curtain with their top picks it would be a generational draft for them IMO. WAAAY better than spending 3 picks on the number one. The top two picks could play a bit early, the others to come on in following years as they develop.

I'd be fascinated to watch them develop.

Have you read the last 700 pages?
That is the argument - ‘you never know’.
Undeniably true …
If we are going to start seriously discussing players like McCluggage, then the thread will be about 7000 pages long.

Unless he has a girlfriend from Sydney or some other personal reason for coming, his free agency year is of no relevance to us.

Last edited:

Tell me this doesn't scream Sydney's first round draft bolter all over it! Absolutely perfect fit for our recruitment team, fills no needs with potential to be played out of position for the first few years too!
1699762580021.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back