2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 10 Australia v South Africa 12/10 1900hrs @ Ekana Sports City

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally agree, Englands white ball side is very different from their test side. We have no white ball program at all, it’s just play the usual guys, who often rest for bilateral series, ridiculous.
It's fine, we don't rate white ball internationals anymore - CA cares about home tests and BBL. That's it.

There's a reasonable chance this could be the last 50 over World Cup (even with the next one booked in), so enjoy it while you can.

i'm kind of not surprised. the ashes left question marks over all three of the quicks, tactics.

marsh - in the form of his life before the tournament. now, nothing. stoinis - has talent to dominate the shorter format comps like bbl but seems to go missing. ditto maxwell - eternal tease.

no surprises the guy left out of the side applied himself a bit more. time to kick some butts out of the side to earn their place.

Exciting times for those in domestic cricket, there needs to be a serious rebuild and refresh of this side.

It's fine, we don't rate white ball internationals anymore - CA cares about home tests and BBL. That's it.

There's a reasonable chance this could be the last 50 over World Cup (even with the next one booked in), so enjoy it while you can.
Yeah ODIs have been behind a paywall for years now, pretty sad for a format I really enjoyed growing up with the tri-series’ that went on etc.

Our home summers are in strife too with the lack of competitiveness most years too, crickets in a weird place.

i'm kind of not surprised. the ashes left question marks over all three of the quicks, tactics.

marsh - in the form of his life before the tournament. now, nothing. stoinis - has talent to dominate the shorter format comps like bbl but seems to go missing. ditto maxwell - eternal tease.

no surprises the guy left out of the side applied himself a bit more. time to kick some butts out of the side to earn their place.

100%. The 2nd Ashes test, despite winning, left me in no doubt that our seamers are well and truly past it.

Without genuine wicket takers, you aren't going to win many cricket matches. A sure sign of declining bowlers is when you get a team on the ropes and they can't finish them off - it has happened increasingly in all formats from 2018 onwards.

What is being done about it? If we keep rolling out the stale and tired combo of Starc, Halzewood and Cummins this summer then we deserve to lose against the Windies and Pakistan.

Australia deserves to get hammered this world cup. Nothing will change otherwise.

100%. The 2nd Ashes test, despite winning, left me in no doubt that our seamers are well and truly past it.

Without genuine wicket takers, you aren't going to win many cricket matches. A sure sign of declining bowlers is when you get a team on the ropes and they can't finish them off - it has happened increasingly in all formats from 2018 onwards.

What is being done about it? If we keep rolling out the stale and tired combo of Starc, Halzewood and Cummins this summer then we deserve to lose against the Windies and Pakistan.

Australia deserves to get hammered this world cup. Nothing will change otherwise.
We will bash up Pakistan & Windies at home.

And the bosses in CA will think all is well again.

Morris Richo Spencer Murphy there is enough talent in the system...its just the disconnect with the national team to the state setups which is an issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Records of ODI pacers for Australia last 4 years:

Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood:
Avg: 28.80
Economy Rate: 5.19

All other pacers:
Avg: 42.76
Economy Rate: 5.65

It's borderline whether Cummins is the 3rd best quick but it's not like anyone else has stood up and done anything when given the chance.
Jhye Richardson's injury certainly didn't help.

However my point stands when you include the other 2 formats. How did we go in the latest T20 WC? How did the final two Ashes tests go? The last match at the GABBA of the 2020/21 Border- Gavaskar?

I'm never going to question how good the big 3 are. It's just that we are over reliant on them.

Would replacing Starc with Neser in the BG trophy in 2020/21 have won us the game? maybe not. Same with Cummins in the final Ashes test.

We don't know, because we never try it.

And it's cost us.

yes the windies are basketcase but pakistan has very good cricketers and a very good bowling attack dont underestimate them
Historically Pakistan are useless in Australia, can't bat on our wickets and there bowlers can't get wickets, don't bowl the right length.

26-4 Head to Head.

However my point stands when you include the other 2 formats. How did we go in the latest T20 WC? How did the final two Ashes tests go? The last match at the GABBA of the 2020/21 Border- Gavaskar?

I'm never going to question how good the big 3 are. It's just that we are over reliant on them.

Would replacing Starc with Neser in the BG trophy in 2020/21 have won us the game? maybe not. Same with Cummins in the final Ashes test.

And it's cost us.

I don’t believe in ‘trying things’ for big games, if you’ve got weapons in your arsenal that have proven themselves as often as not.
Yes sport is littered with examples of fairy tails where someone comes in and proves to be the difference maker but in almost every case it’s borne out of necessity rather than a calculated risk.

Alan Langer called into the Queensland side for the 2001 origin decider because they had no other options, Marlion Pickett wasn’t selected to drop someone, he was selected because Jack Graham couldn’t play.

If you’re going to try those alternative guys waiting in the wings, I think percentages dictate that you always try them when the need is at its lowest. You don’t just dump them in at a World Cup or in a must win game because you can, when there are other better credentialed players

Historically Pakistan are useless in Australia, can't bat on our wickets and there bowlers can't get wickets, don't bowl the right length.

26-4 Head to Head.

Their bowlers are hopeless but the series before last they made plenty of runs.
They’ve had a century maker in each of their last 5 tests here (yes one of them was Yasir Shah)
Their problem with the bat is that when it goes bad - it goes really bad.

I just don't think people have comprehended how big a loss Head is to this side.

The risk of injury outweighs any benefit warm up series close to an important tournament has. The schedule is so compact that these guys are playing enough cricket already.
We are starting to clearly understand what a big loss it is to have Cummins in the side.

And it's cost us.

People are forgetting that fast bowler's performance can fall off a cliff in their 30s. Jason Gillespie in 2004 v India (in India) looked like he could bowl for the next 10 years.....8 months later and he is being tonked around by a club cricketer in Geraint Jones.

J.Hazlewood isnt the same bowler he was 12 months ago, nor is Starc, and if we are being honest, nor is Cummins.

As I have said previously, dark times ahead.

Said it before, but Australia underperformed at the last World Cup and have brought a lot of the same names to this one. What did they think would happen different. Warner has been cooked for years, he couldn't score last night, which put pressure on Marsh to change his game and accelerate early, which cost him his wicket. Stoinis and Maxwell are living on past glory, the bowlers aren't a cohesive unit. There's more.

Said it before, but Australia underperformed at the last World Cup and have brought a lot of the same names to this one. What did they think would happen different. Warner has been cooked for years, he couldn't score last night, which put pressure on Marsh to change his game and accelerate early, which cost him his wicket. Stoinis and Maxwell are living on past glory, the bowlers aren't a cohesive unit. There's more.
What's stoinis past glories.

140 odd at Eden Park 6 years ago.

Once in a lifetime innings on a postage stamp that he hasn't come close to producing again.

What's Warner done wrong in ODI cricket? He scored 647 runs and was 2nd on the run scoring list at the last World Cup and since then he's averaged 42 at a strike rate of 98. This year he's averaging 40 at a strike rate of 110. He's legitimately been Australia's most consistent ODI player since he returned from suspension.

What's Warner done wrong in ODI cricket? He scored 647 runs and was 2nd on the run scoring list at the last World Cup and since then he's averaged 42 at a strike rate of 98. This year he's averaging 40 at a strike rate of 110. He's legitimately been Australia's most consistent ODI player since he returned from suspension.

I never really liked the guy and it took me a while to admit that he was quality - and he has never, SA aside, legitimately answered the ‘overseas test performance’ question but I’m baffled as to how quick Aussie fans are to forget how decent he has been over a long period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back