2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 10 Australia v South Africa 12/10 1900hrs @ Ekana Sports City

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to foresee any of yesterday's XI being there in 2027 and neither should they. Tired, boring side.

But we will continue to pump up the BBL and select our ODI side based off that. If CA don't give two shits about 50 over cricket anymore (and they haven't since the 2015 WC), why should the public?

I'm tired of Warner, Maxwell, Stoinis, Zampa, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, etc and I'm certain I'm not alone.

Hard to foresee any of yesterday's XI being there in 2027 and neither should they. Tired, boring side.
But we will continue to pump up the BBL and select our ODI side based off that. If CA don't give two shits about 50 over cricket anymore (and they haven't since the 2015 WC), why should the public?

I'm tired of Warner, Maxwell, Stoinis, Zampa, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, etc and I'm certain I'm not alone.
Why do Warner, Maxwell, Zampa, Starc and Hazlewood keep getting lumped into the same argument as Stoinis and Cummins? Those first 5 have been consistent performers in this format for a number of years now and are still our best players now. Tbh they’re the only ones really performing this tournament so far as well.

None will be there in 2027, but they’re clearly in our best side now.

They were always going to lose, but the Stoinis and Smith dismissals were shambolic - the ball tracking on Smith's LBW call was dubious, and the 3rd umpire fluffed the Stoinis review.

The only saving grace is having a “tough draw”. But it might already be too late.
Tough draw that everyone plays everyone once.

You could argue the makeup of when we play certain sides but seriously we are kidding themselves.

We look under-prepared, clueless.

If your dropping your keeper 1 game into a world cup its clearly going to be a trainwreck. Even if its the right call. World cup winning teams dont have to drop keepers midway through tournaments.

Feel like we're at a bit of a crossroads with Australian selections across all formats. Some dominant players winding up or winding down.

Not obvious replacements.

We're at a stage where some prescient selections are needed. The Glenn McGrath, Ian Healy, Shane Warne type selections. Players who'd only played a handful of Shield games and were completely unproven but the Australian selectors saw something in them and were vindicated over time.

We're not at the stage where we can just plonk long serving Shield performers in there (Mike Hussey, Stuart Clark, Adam Voges) and carry on.

Whether we have young, untried players capable of stepping in and becoming quality internationals however...?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm assuming it's Top 4 finals?

Probably still make it.

Definitely beat Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Netherlands

Should beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka

So imo need to beat one of NZ and England to make it.

6-3 should be close to 4th Place.

Team has been too unsettled and we are missing the quality ODI batsman at the top of the order.

Inglis clumsy hands are good for a giggle but not enough to keep him in the team.

Feel like we're at a bit of a crossroads with Australian selections across all formats. Some dominant players winding up or winding down.

Not obvious replacements.

We're at a stage where some prescient selections are needed. The Glenn McGrath, Ian Healy, Shane Warne type selections. Players who'd only played a handful of Shield games amd were completely unproven but the Australian selectors saw something in them and were vindicated over time.

We're not at the stage where we can just plonk long serving Shield performers in there (Mike Hussey, Stuart Clark, Adam Voges) and carry on.

Whether we have young, untried players capable of stepping in and becoming quality internationals however...?
Old Mother Hubbard
Went to the Cupboard
To fetch her poor dog a bone
But when she got there the cupboard was bare
So the poor dog got none

Systemic destruction of the traditional pyramid system combine with the rise of shorter form cricket and and a move to “elite talent pathways” gets you to where we are now which is an utter embarrassment

I recon the worst part was making Maharaj look decent fair dinkum he’s Xavier Doherty version 2

Can you let me know when Doherty took 9-fer in a Test innings?

Maharaj has 200 international wickets at 31 (his Test average is the same as Nathan Lyon’s) and he averages the same in ODI cricket coupled with an economy rate of 4.5.

Do some research mate.

Australia has been left behind by everyone else. Every other nation his going hung hoe from the first ball, while we are going 5 to 6 an over first 10 and then doubling the score after 30. This aging side has been exposed badly

The team that they lost to last night literally went at 5-6 an over for the first 10 while beating Australia last night. One of their openers went at 64 per hundred balls

I'm assuming it's Top 4 finals?

Probably still make it.

Definitely beat Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Netherlands

Should beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka

So imo need to beat one of NZ and England to make it.

6-3 should be close to 4th Place.

Bangladesh aren’t a given, depending on the conditions.
I’d still expect Australia to win but it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if they didn’t

Remove this Banner Ad

Back