Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welsh - who looks a gun key forward, F/S for Adelaide, annoying as it seems every top end key forward now days isn’t in the open pool

Ashcroft - F/S

Ben & Lucas twins - F/S’s for Carlton

I think they are all the likely top end F/S’s that I can remember, then there’ll be some academy boys, at least a couple from the Suns.

I don’t understand what relevance these players are to the picks anyone has next year.

Free agency “manufactured” picks I’ll grant you, but f/s and academy picks have no relevance to any difference between pick 19 and 26 “after matching”.

But that’s exactly what I think you guys should do, you don’t need Reid, giving up significant assets for him is stupid.

2 - McKercher
3 - Curtin

Trade the 2 future 1sts for a pick in this draft, try and get the Suns or Cats first and also grab O’Sullivan or someone on that level. You can fix a lot of your flaws in one draft if you be smart about it.

You guys are welcome to tell me I have no idea what I’m talking about but all the mail out of WC is they are set on Reid or a ridiculous offer from North, I know 2, 14 and a future 1st isn’t a bad offer by any means, it’s just not going to warrant giving up one of the best draft prospects ever for.

We felt the same way with the JHF offers, he was ahead of the pack because Daicos and Darcy weren't in the open market, but I don't think Callaghan was as far away as some people make it out to be. GWS rated him ahead of Daicos... I don't share that opinion but he was a very good talent, we never got an offer that would have allowed us to get Callaghan, Crows were the closest but he would have been long gone.

It ultimately comes down to how different clubs see the talent in the draft, imo there is a smaller gap between Reid and the next best option than say going from Sheezel/Wardlaw to Ginbey, I even think Phillipou was a better prospect. Not massively, but to me at least there seems to be an inconsistent approach between last year and this year. I just find it curious, why the difference from the club. If I was in WCE's shoes I'd take Reid too... but I wouldn't have downgraded pick 2 last year either. I wanted Wardlaw more than I wanted Sheezel but I am glad we were able to get both.

Why would you pass on Sheezel or Wardlaw for Ginbey last year and then say we aren't going to downgrade from 1 to 2 and get the local boy Curtin plus a host of other picks. Did they regret trading last year?

I agree, it would make more sense for us to hit the draft with as many picks as we can get. I think it is too difficult to fix all the problems via the draft, or try to. You should target the best talent and try and build 1/2 to 3/4 of a side and then trade for the rest, I don't think anyone has ever completely rebuilt from the draft alone.

I doubt we will try and get pick 1, we will probably be more focused on trying to get pick 4 from the Suns imo.

Lol he isn't going to tell WA media that he doesn't want to leave VIC when WC hold pick 1??

He said he would rather stay in Victoria
And that’s fair enough and understandable.

But his happy to go over to the west of it happens to work out that way.

And he’s nothing like JHF (attitude wise) i can assure you that.

It’s frightening how much we are hated by other teams. Just for being a small club and not very successful. Imagine if we start winning we rival Collingwood for hatred. Let them hate btw. Let them hate.
The hate started in the 90’s but to our credit, we were a very arrogant bunch🔵⚪

Man we have been bashed up a lot. Last year we traded pick 1, and JHF for 2,3 and F14.

So..
Out: 1 and 1

In: 2,3 and 14

TWO #1 picks for 3 first rounders!

Now we are being conditioned to expect we have to dish up the same to get just one in return. Why? Why should we always expect less for giving more?

Makes me want to contact Relationships Victoria, the abuse we get as a club from the AFL as a whole.

WA TALL ON THE RISE

WEST Australian tall Zane Zakostelsky looms as a possible top-30 contender as clubs continue to scour the market for key-position options in this year's draft.

Zakostelsky was named best on ground in Claremont's under-18 colts Grand Final win over Perth last weekend, gathering 22 disposals and having 18 hitouts.

The 17-year-old has played as a ruckman at that level through this season but shapes as a key defensive option for AFL clubs given his 196cm frame.

Zakostelsky, who has a background in basketball and athletics, will next week test at the AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne, where he is expected to be a standout performer and further push his draft case.

His endurance and speed combination has impressed, having ran the 20-metre sprint in 2.85 seconds at WA's under-18 testing earlier this year. Some clubs believe he could break into the top 30 draftees by November given his attributes. – Callum Twomey

1 for 2, 19 (+F2): Reid, McKercher, Murphy/Leake/Wilson/Windsor/A.Reid/W.Green

OR

1 for 3, 14 (+F2): Reid, Curtin, Leake/Wilson/Windsor/A.Reid/W.Green

OR preferably

We just rock up to the draft with the following and a tonne of positional need talent:

2 (McKercher), 3 (Curtin), (5/6 Watson/O’Sullivan/Sanders), 14 (Wilson, Windsor)

Twoomey is adamant if we don't get pick 4, we will get pick 10 once GC get their hands on it. We are going hard for additional first rounders.

We are obviously chasing more draft collateral.

This could be read 1 of 2 ways.

1 - We want another player out of the "second tier group" that slides through - Sanders, Watson, O'Sullivan, Caddy etc.

If one of them don't slide, I think the Dogs pick (if it's not intended as part of a trade) would guarantee one of Murphy, Wilson, Edwards or Leake.

2 - We want another pick to package for Reid, but maintain another mid first rounder in the process of getting Reid.

Last edited:
West Coast aren’t giving up Reid for 2 and 2 mid twenties picks next year. Please be serious.
Correct. Something of real value needs to be added.

At least the 2024 WCE round 2 pick or a player.

If Gaff is involved for a salary dump then the trade is far simpler. 2 and one of the north 2024 assistance picks for Gaff and 1.

Twoomey is adamant if we don't get pick 4, we will get pick 10 once GC get their hands on it. We are going hard for additional first rounders.

We are obviously chasing more draft collateral.

This could be read 1 of 2 ways.

1 - We want another player out of the "second tier group" that slides through - Sanders, Watson, O'Sullivan, Caddy etc.

If one of them don't slide, I think the Dogs pick (if it's not intended as part of a trade) would guarantee one of Murphy, Wilson, Edwards or Leake.

2 - We want another pick to package for Reid, but maintain another mid first rounder in the process of getting Reid.

I really hope the Reid scenario isn’t the case. Overpaying for one 18 year old just seems so silly to me.

Gun established players who have been traded over recent years have cost less than Reid.

I really hope the Reid scenario isn’t the case. Overpaying for one 18 year old just seems so silly to me.

Gun established players who have been traded over recent years have cost less than Reid.

It depends what the overpaying is.

I'm not opposed to using the two future PP's to trade up for Reid, as it still maintains our draft hand this year.

It also clears the future picks as we've used them in the AFL's eyes.

I'm opposed at trading any of 3 or 14 to attain it.

If it was something like 2 x Future PP's for Pick 10.

2 & 10 for 1. I really wouldn't be fussed.

Take 1,3,14,19 to the draft. Still maintain our F1 and F2 picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get the hype. His 21 disposals is the starting point on the conversation. Let’s dissect at high level. Disposal efficiency poor. Decision making poor. No big marks.
ZZ is 196cm. Too small for a ruck. Could he be a KPD? Maybe. What am I not seeing?
Upside
  • Athletic
  • Looks like a good competitor
  • Ruck craft, but it is u18

Disposal efficiency too poor to be a KPD. He'd be a turnover merchant back there.

A lot of blind handballs straight to the opposition.

Like his athleticism though. Maybe a forward? Not sure what his goal kicking is like

But that’s exactly what I think you guys should do, you don’t need Reid, giving up significant assets for him is stupid.

2 - McKercher
3 - Curtin

Trade the 2 future 1sts for a pick in this draft, try and get the Suns or Cats first and also grab O’Sullivan or someone on that level. You can fix a lot of your flaws in one draft if you be smart about it.

You guys are welcome to tell me I have no idea what I’m talking about but all the mail out of WC is they are set on Reid or a ridiculous offer from North, I know 2, 14 and a future 1st isn’t a bad offer by any means, it’s just not going to warrant giving up one of the best draft prospects ever for.
We dont have 2 future 1sts. We only have our own future 1st which l cant see be given .What the AFL gave us was "end of round 1 picks" making it 2 future 2nds..Round 1 picks end at whichever team wins the grand final which is pick#18. l'm quite content in not getting Reid but finishing up with Curtin and McKersher at #2 and #3...

I'm going off the fact WCE are expecting 3x first round picks. Those 2x picks in the 20s would equal a legit first rounder

Why do we give them what they demand when we really don't have to? They're the one's with the Reid issue, not us.

Us getting involved in a deal for pick 1 would be a goodwill gesture so they can save face. WC are in absolutely no position to call the shots here!

And as an aside, i'd be giving them pick 3, not 2. That way we get McKercher as well. Curtin at 3 is a much better look for them anyway.

Pick 3 plus 1 of our FF priority picks for Pick 1.

Last edited:
But it’s not a very good offer when you factor in Reid is such a better prospect than whoever is at 2

Then pick 14 will be 20ish, then that future 1st will also be in its mid 20’s in a very compromised draft next year.

You guys would not trade Reid for 2 and 2 2nd rounders essentially, please don’t try and say that you would lol.
l would rather us not bid on Reid and use the 2 second round picks in a way to try and get pick#5 off GC and Pick#6 off GWS when taking into account the pick#3 for McKay...Then end up with 2,3,5,6,....

Why do we give them what they demand when we really don't have to? They're the one's with the Reid issue, not us.

Us getting involved in a deal for pick 1 would be a goodwill gesture so they can save face. WC are in absolutely no position to call the shots here!

And as an aside, i'd be giving them pick 3, not 2. That way we get McKercher as well. Curtin at 3 is a much better look for them anyway.

Pick 3 plus our 2 x FF priority picks for Pick 1.
They are NOT 2 x FF priority picks . They a 2 x second rounds...The first round finishes at #18...we are Getting #19 and #20.

My position has been consistent for a long time now; I don't want us to trade up for Reid.

I'm starting to suspect I'm going to be disappointed 🫤

My position has been consistent for a long time now; I don't want us to trade up for Reid.

I'm starting to suspect I'm going to be disappointed 🫤
I still genuinely have no idea what it would take for WC to agree to trade pick 1.

With our current hand, surely we don't offer more than 2, 14, and 19.

Is that enough?

If we got pick 10, would that turn the dial?

I have no idea.

What does hawthorns second pick move from with our pick 19 assistance this year? Having a debate with a hawks mate about the implications to his club

It will actually do sweet FA to their 2nd pick.

Their 2nd pick will be a father son match in McCabe. Our assistance pick will not effect when that bid comes.

Pretty simple scenario with Reid really:
1. Do we chance it that WCE isn't going to pick Reid?
or
2. Do we really want Reid enough to throw 2 high first rounders because that's what it will cost?

If it was me, l'd value our #2 and future 1st (never trade a future 1st), so if we can manage to get #5 from GC then #3&#5 for Reid.

As much as Curtin presents as the right option given we just lost a KPD, l have not seen a kid for two years that can actually play true mid, forward and back with presences and that's the versatility that we are playing for plus all the Vic metro boys on the list knows him quite well.

This thing about other clubs rating such and such ahead of Daicos in 2021 is purely based on the fact that no-one was ever going to get Daicos cos of F/S just like Ashcroft in 2022 but Reid..this is a best chance in 4 years of sucking at the bottom to get the clearly best talent in the land and l hope we don't live to regret it.

Pair him with Watson, whom get on well together, and we'll have kids that won't want to leave and hopefully, collectively, win a flag as mates from U18 days like Rock, Schwass then Foss, Arch and Stevo in fact that whole 96 team!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back