LIVE ON ESPN/KAYO AT 10.20 AM ON 18/9: Miami at New England
LIVE ON ESPN/KAYO AT 9.15 AM ON 19/9: New Orleans at Carolina
LIVE ON ESPN2/KAYO AT 10.15 AM ON 19/9: Cleveland at Pittsburgh

LIVE ON watchESPN AT 3:00 AM on 18/9: NFL RedZone

NB: VIC, NSW, QLD, TAS times
less 30 mins SA, NT
less 2 hours WA

Last edited:
Seems like a deliberate intent to injure from Firzpatrick. Diving/throwing your body into an area where the runners legs are. Its a hit not a tackle.
Are those hits legal? Surely diving at a players legs who is being tackled is extremely dangerous and against the rules?

Are those hits legal? Surely diving at a players legs who is being tackled is extremely dangerous and against the rules?
Its legal, and as others have noted, many defensive players and offensive players dive at players knees to bring them down.

But i reckon maybe its time to outlaw hits below the knee....tackle ok but not a hit

Its legal, and as others have noted, many defensive players and offensive players dive at players knees to bring them down.

But i reckon maybe its time to outlaw hits below the knee....tackle ok but not a hit

Yeah I think the cut blocks are probably ok but the shoulder tackles to the leg of a running player or receiver are dangerous especially if they're already being tackled so have less ability to go with the momentum of the hit.

The NFL is a violent sport. The idea of a safe NFL is impossible, a safer one sure. But if you take away low hits you might as well play flag football with the size of players now.

I guess you want QB sneaks also gone since they are designed to be low man wins and are at the knees of the DL.

It was a freak accident, next week there will be another one. Should that also prompt a rule change? The fact it doesn't happen more often in some of the big piles is a minor miracle.

He isn't wrong though. Having been involved with the game. You are taught to take a player down at the knees to make them fall, especially if they are bigger than you. But there is a certain technique, so it is done effectively and safely.

But his technique wasn't even based on someone looking to take a player down. His positioning and body language, looked like he was going full superman at Chubbs knee, with intent to injure.

Players will never admit it, but there are a few that still play with the mindset to try injury your opponent to take them out of the game, so you have one less thing to worry about. But do so during a "football move", so people don't think anything of it.

He isn't wrong though. Having been involved with the game. You are taught to take a player down at the knees to make them fall, especially if they are bigger than you. But there is a certain technique, so it is done effectively and safely.

But his technique wasn't even based on someone looking to take a player down. His positioning and body language, looked like he was going full superman at Chubbs knee, with intent to injure.

Players will never admit it, but there are a few that still play with the mindset to try injury your opponent to take them out of the game, so you have one less thing to worry about. But do so during a "football move", so people don't think anything of it.
It was a dirty play

I thought so from the get go

Long and storied tradition of Squeelers playing dirty

The video slowed down exonerates Fitzpatrick and the concept of dirty steelers. Chubb wasnt engaged wasnt being held, and then someone dived in to injure. Instead, Chubb was dancing around and unengaged, and Fitzpatrick made a move to fall at the knees so Chubb would over. As is noted in comments, Chubbs cleat stuck in the ground at that split second which didnt allow his leg to fall forward.

Also....so many games Browns v Steelers, even just last year, where Browns players targeted knees or late helmet hits, that caused injuries. It's just division and cultural rivalry, especially common in AFCN matches where the two teams go hard, a bit harder, at each other in battle.

I initially thought it looked excessive, and questioned Minkah's intent. But upon further review, and noting it's a common move to dive at the knees of a bigger player with momentum, this is the same. The leg planting and foot stuck at that split second.

However, I still think there's room for the NFL to outlaw hits below the knees like they do cut blocks. Tackles below the knees are fine, but hits and diving at the feet can probably be removed to further minimize injuries.

It often happens to OLmen and QBs too, where players fall at the back of their ankles. Or tackling a player from behind they drag them down by dropping their body weight onto the back of knees and ankles.

Knees and ankles are joints most susceptible, fragile, and probably the #1 injury across the entire league every year by a far margin.

I initially thought it looked excessive, and questioned Minkah's intent. But upon further review, and noting it's a common move to dive at the knees of a bigger player with momentum, this is the same. The leg planting and foot stuck at that split second.

However, I still think there's room for the NFL to outlaw hits below the knees like they do cut blocks. Tackles below the knees are fine, but hits and diving at the feet can probably be removed to further minimize injuries.

It often happens to OLmen and QBs too, where players fall at the back of their ankles. Or tackling a player from behind they drag them down by dropping their body weight onto the back of knees and ankles.

Knees and ankles are joints most susceptible, fragile, and probably the #1 injury across the entire league every year by a far margin.
It was intentional

Remove this Banner Ad

Back