Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

Fish kicked ass in the first half then backed off was horrific the game before that, JSOS was dead set poor then avg, LOB did sweet * all.
I watched the game. Fisher was clearly best on. JSOS' kicking was poor but everything else was great in a new role (+ with Pittonet out) we needed the height. If Pitt was healthy JSOS and Young prob have more time in the 2s but you can't have TDK solo against Grundy/Gawn. LOB I'm not a massive fan of but Dow isn't competing with him for a wing spot. Would have preferred Binns but I understand taking a bit longer with him.

O’Brien being picked over Binns is astonishing

No Dow isn’t a surprise but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating. I hope that Dow has a mega successful career at a club that actually wants him and believes in him

Yeah this is lost in the Dow stuff. Why aren't we rewarding our best and most consistent performers at VFL level? Cincotta is the only one in who actually deserves to go up. Whilst I believe Fisher is good enough and required he hasn't played all that well. Binns should be playing.

Selection integrity all over the shop.

You can squib all day, jog around, butcher the ball, never defend, never tackle, miss every easy goal and still get a game at Carlton. No need to earn your spot at a team playing bottom 3 football.

But if you actually try to get selected they'll laugh at you. Zero selection integrity and I'm guessing Voss or someone else at Carlton has some petty vendetta against Dow.

Paddy didn't get the memo from Voss I guess. Having a go is looked down upon at Carlton. Dow needs to learn how to coast with the rest of the pretenders in the seniors before he gets a chance. For a side that doesn't have any pace you'd think we'd give the one guy with any ability to sprint out of a stoppage a go.

Nah lets hope Cripps as our sole hope isn't smashed by his opponent again. That's really worked so far this season.

Can't wait to see Kennedy at HBF flank again.

Pick players who have consistent form, not play one good reserves game and they are back in. Carlton is constantly killing themselves at the selection table. Lewis Young did nothing last week to warrant getting selected. Dow better be the sub, he deserves at least that.

Could say Dow, for sure, could also absolutely say club.

Likely a little of both.

However, you could have guessed these ins from Mars.

Same boring s**t.

It’s whatever at this point.

Dow might come in if Crippa doesn't get up, but he isn't going to replace Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra, Cripps, Doc

This club is broken.

Paddy - don't even try anymore, the club clearly treats you like garbage. Collect your weekly cheque and count down the days till you leave.

Pathetic Carlton. Selection integrity is zero. Sums up where we are.
Agree totally Voss & his assistants need a good hard look at themselves.
l have seen a player like this essentially black listed.
We are going no where with this outlook.

Hope Paddy is successful at his new club and shows how poorly we are managed.

I remember Teague being shocking with the team selections too.

It’s like they don’t realise what they’re doing isn’t working.

And then ‘blindsided’ when they’re sacked.

Teague imo likely knew he was a dead coaching wallking in the final few weeks of his tenure.

No matter what happens for the rest of the season, from all reports Voss won't be sacked before or after the season ends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"No selection integrity" yet the INs were amongst our best in the VFL game last week...Dow has never come in when we have had one mid out this season - not sure why people were expecting it. If the Cerra appeal was unsuccessful probably a different story.

They played witches hats last week in the VFL.

Against genuine opposition the week before Fisher sooked it up.

Effort means nothing at Carlton at the moment.

The doubling and tripling down of the same crop players is just so infuriating.

Had a renewed sense of enthusiasm going into this one because I figured we’d likely see Dow and Binns make the side and potentially see a spark come from somewhere else.

If Voss is telling us that this is the group that will run his game plan and only this group, then s**t there’s more on the line for this game than just 4 points.

Once Cerra was cleared and Cripps fit there was almost no chance Dow would be selected.
No matter how many possessions he racks up at VFL level, he’s not in front of any of the mids which have been selected - or Docherty who Voss seemingly loves playing as a primary mid.
On the Docherty front, I’m still baffled that we can’t see how it’s impacted our turnover and transition game since he’s been taken out as a primary half back.
Would have preferred Binns over O’Brien.
It’s possible Young and JSOS switch ends this week … Melbourne’s changes make them quite small in the forward line even if Grundy/Gawn play every minute.
Selection displays conservatism and defensiveness rather than releasing the shackles. Not sure naming 8 defenders is going to solve our problems.

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 6.56.23 pm.png Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 6.56.04 pm.png

Blues currently bottom 4 in goals kicked and goal assists - Melbourne Top of the league for goals and second for assists.
Simple targets - team needs to get to kicking 3-4 goals a game more than it is currently achieving....otherwise goodnight Irene.
Most of the damage is Conversion % - I can't find a teams-wide stat for that on footywire.

They played witches hats last week in the VFL.

Against genuine opposition the week before Fisher sooked it up.

Effort means nothing at Carlton at the moment.
Even if you forget about the VFL game last week not once has Dow come into the team in 2023 when a single mid is out. Why would we start now when less inside mids and less poor users is what we actually need. Plus if Dow was to come in don't we want him to get an extended run - people would be lynching Voss if they got him in and then dropped him the week after for Hewett. Dow is not going to be at the club in 2024 is what's been clear since last year when we told him to explore his options - we need to move on imo

In regards to Paddy Dow, I am actually embarrassed by the way he has been treated by our club.

Do the MC need a memo that respect also needs to apply to the playing group?

What about the 2nd half Michael????

O’Brien being picked over Binns is astonishing

No Dow isn’t a surprise but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating. I hope that Dow has a mega successful career at a club that actually wants him and believes in him
Yes.

Reckon we will win tomorrow just quietly.
The Dees have been struggling themselves and have no Clarry (who normally destroys us) plus their forward line is not exactly going great guns.

Selection politics and controversies aside, I feel pretty damn bullish about our chances.

CMON BAGGERS :carlton:

Tired of these excuses it is just rinse & repeat players dropped & then brought back.
Could name half dozen players he should have a opportunity before, we are not short on under performing players.
Name them

Do you ever disagree with something the club does?

Every week.

I wouldn't have Kemp in the side at the moment, but with the injuries in the backline I understand it.

Jsos is another I wouldn't have based on his output and effectiveness

Do you ever agree with something the club does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back