Autopsy 2023 Rd 16 Blues don't give a ruck but thrash Hawks anyway

Who played well for the Blues in Round 16 vs the Hawks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This I believe

images

Awesome show, easily top ten of all time !

Does anyone here actually know what position Ed Curnow mostly played?
Didn’t have a single CBA and I hardly remember seeing him involved in the stoppages.

I liked what I saw from Boyd, He is getting fitter now and is getting better every week.
Cinc on the other hand did a couple of nice things, but was pretty quite.
Cowan could have more impact, create more run and carry. Like to see him come in this week.

Agree with this but I see cowan the eventual replacement for Newman.

This year he can be used as the depth player to bring in if we have an injury and then next year look to force a player out.

He is developing real nicely

Good win. Some Positive Signs.
Where are we at? I will tell you in 2 weeks.
Carlton are very good when the pressure is off. I want to see how the boys perform in crunch games.
Each win from here mixes additional mental pressure with momentum.
Fitness needs to hold, we have the selections right. Can we win the game in our heads

Best part of today was that some of the lesser names had their best games in a long time.
Martin was good, Cuningham's first half was great, Young and Silvagni were up against it in the ruck but gave 200% all day, especially Silvagni.
Boyd was good! (Yeah, yeah, I'll take it! LOL).

Even Docherty. I think that was his best game in a long time. Damaging with the ball, no clangers and kicked a classic.

Now to back it up next week against a side with a dominant ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed Curnow is not best 22. Looked cooked running defensively. Dow adds a different dynamic with lightening hands and a great sidestep. Really pleased with Fogarty and the pressure around the ball. Play like that and we would be hard to beat. Great 4 quarter performance.
He's not best 26

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So much to like about todays win, none more than the constant lowering of the eyes from players on the break or out of a stoppage, instead of just banging the ball forward. Add to this a huge increase in attacking handballs, it makes the world of difference.

After the Hawks had a strong 3rd quarter, it was great how we responded in the last. Regardless of numbers, how often our players over commit and miss tackles or have tackles shrugged is a concern, it was a big issue in the 3rd.

Huge couple of weeks coming up for the club, win or lose I would love us to do it with more youth, Dow, Binns, Cowan should be getting a look before Ed, maybe even Newman.

Go Blues

That was a bit better, but again it's important to remember that Hawthorn are a structurally weak opposition that are winding down for the year. We're still not rotating players smartly enough in and between games, and I really hope we refine this and stop losing so many key players to injury.

:whitecheck: Martin playing a full game with decent minutes
:whitecheck: Cuningham being involved and showing his utter class, repeatedly to the disbelief of Dwayne Russell
:whitecheck: Cerra being in Brownlow form
:whitecheck: Cripps showing some class and (usually) smart run
:whitecheck: Jack slotting in nicely
:whitecheck: Harry just does not stop working, goal kicking an issue but part technique, part confidence, part chronic groin injury
:whitecheck: Charlie also very solid and very smartly managed by being subbed out
:whitecheck: Fogarty playing the Fisher role better than anyone on our list ever has
:whitecheck: Walsh getting to the outside more
:whitecheck: Docherty getting behind the ball more
:whitecheck: Weitering, McGovern and Kemp getting in the play more

:minus: Kennedy's body not holding up well against strength/endurance speed mix on-ball unit again, no consistent second position despite his smarts
:minus: Cincotta and Boyd still failing to feature as much as you'd like given their offensive weaponry

Young often terrified of marking the ball
:crossmark: Cripps and Walsh still have incredibly selfish moments of play in how they demand and carry the ball, trust in team mates required
Ed makes no sense to me when Docherty could be more behind the ball and Walsh could be more on the wing... surely space for Dow in that paradigm

Like your take on some things Jim, but some of your analysis is really just about vindicating the stance you doggedly take contrary to actual events.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perfectly summed up.

Love to see more offense from cinc and Boyd.

Me too, but given their games number they are both babies and are performing very well. If they get to 80 games each in team that performs I’m sure they will add levels to their games.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Firstly, * the dawks.

Always expected them to come out harder in Q3 and we only lost the Q by 2 goals and then brought it home. Terrific pressure for most of the game. And pleased to see the improvement in our transition game.

Cuners & Martin continue to show their importance. Influential. Will be critical going forward.

Kemp continues to develop nicely and loving his composure and execution. JSOS, Fog and Boyd all had good games.

Next two games will be telling.

Ed played as part of a 10 goal winning 22.
Thats all that matters right now.
I thought we were discussing the game?
I was watching on TV and it’s often very hard to understand where players are actually playing when they aren’t in the midfield.
Fogarty to me seemed to be the highest forward.
Cuningham the forward mid which I think some people want Dow to play.
Martin and Ed the other two who playing as forwards both seemed to get up high at times but not really as an extra mid.

Wasn’t sure if someone like Ed actually spent time on a wing or what.

He's to timid for my liking. Didn't want to make any contact in ruck contests and defensive effort deep in defence at one point was laughable, again didn't want contact
Not that I agree but the commentators even thought he was Meek.

I thought we were discussing the game?
I was watching on TV and it’s often very hard to understand where players are actually playing when they aren’t in the midfield.
Fogarty to me seemed to be the highest forward.
Cuningham the forward mid which I think some people want Dow to play.
Martin and Ed the other two who playing as forwards both seemed to get up high at times but not really as an extra mid.

Wasn’t sure if someone like Ed actually spent time on a wing or what.
Wasnt trying to be a smart arse mate. :thumbsu:

Football these days is so not positional. Everyone is everywhere at times gets hard to know whats going on in comparison to footy I grew up watching.

He's great when he's got the ball, but he's struggling to get to positions where he's a clear option, while Cincotta is taking himself out of the play in a different way. I don't mind them being at 10-15 disposals when it's someone else in the defence working the advantage, but they're yet to break beyond those numbers and that concerns me as a tactical weaknesses.

Better opponents will turn the screws on the more prolific players in transition and we'll see Newman and Boyd get exposed a bit more, as well as perhaps Cincotta bottling the ball.
Also…..Newman was rubbish today. No idea why you defend him.

Back