Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep and to keep Mutineer happy, just say it is true that Hamish wanted English but was overruled because Pyke wanted a mid, Pyke sure isn’t saying you must pick Gallucci. If Hamish didn’t rate Gallucci we are not picking him, it’s that simple.

I can’t believe that dud has kept his job for this long.
I've often wondered what would be a good way to measure recruiters ... it's not a level playing field but surely we can get an indication from the right stats?

Would something like the number of games / brownlow votes / finals for players drafted 1-10 / 11-20 etc... give an indication? Would have to be only players that are outside of academy / fs / nga ... or at least have the "special" cases separated?

I suppose the trading up / trading down count would tell a part of the story too?

Scorpus do you have this in a spreadsheet somewhere :)

I've often wondered what would be a good way to measure recruiters ... it's not a level playing field but surely we can get an indication from the right stats?

Would something like the number of games / brownlow votes / finals for players drafted 1-10 / 11-20 etc... give an indication? Would have to be only players that are outside of academy / fs / nga ... or at least have the "special" cases separated?

I suppose the trading up / trading down count would tell a part of the story too?

I reckon simple measure is how many mids have you drafted in 12 years with your first round picks. How many of your first round picks are good players and still playing.

I reckon simple measure is how many mids have you drafted in 12 years with your first round picks. How many of your first round picks are good players and still playing.
Well right now ...

Our best two players are Dawson and Rankine - trades.

Tex was a NSW Academy pick.

Laird was a Rookie?

Michalanney a FS.

So probably only the noobs we can look at from a drafting perspective - Fog, Soligo, Rachele, Worrel, Thilthorpe, Cook, Nankervis, Berry, Taylor, Edwards, Ryan, Curtin - no current superstar AFL mids in that group yet, although Soligo is at least showing signs :-|

Ladder position. Eventually everything comes down to that

Obviously you're just having a go at Ogilvie but these criteria make no sense, and would imply that Lance Franklin was a bad draft pick, since Hawthorn could have picked a mid instead, increasing the number of mids picked in the last 12 years.

Team performance has to be the primary criteria, though looking at the range of hits vs misses with some weighting to earlier picks/overall player quality would get you somewhere.

Last edited:
Obviously you're just having a go at Ogilvie but these criteria make no sense, and would imply that Lance Franklin was a bad draft pick, since Hawthorn could have picked a mid instead, increasing the number of mids picked in the last 12 years.

Team performance has to be the primary criteria, though looking at the range of hits vs misses with some weighting to earlier picks/overall player quality would get you somewhere.
Did I say you couldn’t pick a gun forward with a first round pick? Hawks had a decent midfield didn’t they?

Besides Franklin fits under my criteria of a good player ;)

Ladder position. Eventually everything comes down to that
Yeah - but ladder position doesn't just come down to the recruiters. Even the list can be pulled apart by a terrible culture and all your gems go to better options.

I'd love to have a measure of what each recruiter does ... I am sure the best teams ladder-wise will magically have some of the best recruiters!!

Hayward is an average to good player and to me money isn’t the big issue but the length of the contract is. We should only be offering top line players 5 plus years, not players like him. Crows said they’d be aggressive, I hope they aren’t stupid.
McCluggage or DLU are 5 plus years contract players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayward is an average to good player and to me money isn’t the big issue but the length of the contract is. We should only be offering top line players 5 plus years, not players like him. Crows said they’d be aggressive, I hope they aren’t stupid.

Would tend to agree with this. Besides, doesnt look like Hayward will leave now, particularly with a premiership a real possibility this year. Think we would be better going hard on LDU..North is one of the few clubs we can realistically say we are a better alternative to. Wouldnt be against also going after Luko..but only if he plays like he did Thursday night.

As we have found though clubs are super keen to keep their top end and so will flex to do so.

Hayward is a significant upgrade in impact for his position (Murphy) so for NO draft capital is worth the pursuit

Would tend to agree with this. Besides, doesnt look like Hayward will leave now, particularly with a premiership a real possibility this year. Think we would be better going hard on LDU..North is one of the few clubs we can realistically say we are a better alternative to. Wouldnt be against also going after Luko..but only if he plays like he did Thursday night.
LDU under contract though, I can’t see North letting him go. If he leaves next year he will trigger rd 1 compo which is going to be a top 3 pick

Carlton were 13th with 8 wins when Saad and Cerra went there.

7 wins when Williams went there.
Saad left Essendon at the end of 2020, who had just finished 13th at 6-1-10. Carlton finished 11th that year.

Forward pressure comes from players that get or just miss getting the ball. Assigning a role to 'create forward pressure' is only for morons.
It's one you give to someone who doesn't have other strings to their bow, like a Petrenko or Murphy. Cameron may have started that way, but he quickly developed his skills beyond that and Betts defensive work was always his a part of his game, never the main or only feature.

Unless you are absolutely terrible with money, either number should set you up and give you a very comfortable lifestyle
But Adelaide costs of living (housing particularly) would be significantly lower than Sydney. The excess cash of the deal plus the savings in that "comfortable lifestyle" put the Adelaide offer miles ahead from a pure wealth creation view.

I hope he comes for the opportunity we offer. The offer (as far as we know) makes him more wealthy in a financial sense. But if he's motivated by other distractions young men might like, Sydney might play finals more often than us but if he wants stardom, it ain't even close to the profile he would carry in Adelaide.

I dunno..can we fail upwards by picking the wrong players in the draft and somehow still perform ok?
If you're failing upwards while picking the wrong players the players you picked can't be that bad. At some point you must have selected the good players that are helping you win - you could obviously have poor drafting for a period of time or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back