Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

100% this is not the case

Tis was an optimistic viewpoint. I would have hoped that his time at WCE would have broadened his horizons, but we have been a risk averse conservative club, Simpson (at the time VB was an assistant) was very much in ‘control’ fully and the style of play, team selection etc. was static. He’s been forced to adapt and change.

I’d take him back in a New York minute

Yes I get it. He certainly wasn’t solely to blame for the grand final aftermath and everything that entailed. Like many coaches, you’d think he would be better the second time around.

From everything that I (a layman, fan) can see, he’s doing a pretty good job as CEO thus far. Much needed change.

If there was any self-awareness by our coaching group, we wouldn't have shape-keepers. Crouch and Laird attending the same CBAs or Sloane getting a contract.
The recent increase of Soligo and Rankine’s CBAs gives me a slither of hope we’ll see a phasing out of Laird (and maybe Crouch, but I’d be happy to keep him around) by next year

But yeah, given Nicks’ general track record, I’m not holding out too much hope

The recent increase of Soligo and Rankine’s CBAs gives me a slither of hope we’ll see a phasing out of Laird (and maybe Crouch, but I’d be happy to keep him around) by next year

I’ve had similar hopes.

Then I think about it and I’m sure Laird and Crouch will continue to play. Which is dumb.

Just hand the keys over to Soligo Rankine Dawson already. Use Crouch and Lairds minutes to try to unearth more.

Yeah, armed robbery is fine with them. ;)
That was kind of the point actually.

No one is justifying the crime but the way they backed their players in says something about their culture and means something to the player.

What you do inside those four walls matters more than anything and it's a safe place where you can just play football.

I think it makes sense, if he played every game and was a fair price.

As long as Laird moves out, it helps us with the shift to the next generation.
A 31 year old helps us move to the next generation?

Are you high

We need to stop the phasing & go big bang - move Laird to half back.

Crouch, Dawson, Soligo & Schoenberg have enough experience. Bring in one of the younger guys too to have a few rotations.

That Yeo rumour can't be real. The only team that would do a deal like that is one at the tail end of a dynasty that wants to squeeze out the very last drop with that group of players.

Or a delusional bunch of nuffies that believe they're only a piece or 2, including an experienced mid, away from flag contention.

We need to stop the phasing & go big bang - move Laird to half back.

Crouch, Dawson, Soligo & Schoenberg have enough experience. Bring in one of the younger guys too to have a few rotations.
If they're worried about losing experience the time to move Laird out it is now while you still have him there to support or if you get super desperate and can move him back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or a delusional bunch of nuffies that believe they're only a piece or 2, including an experienced mid, away from flag contention.
I've had a few fans seem to think so. "Yeo delivering the ball to Tex, Fog and Tilly is worth an extra 2 goals a game and we'd be in the GF with that!" response I got from someone yesterday.

I've had a few fans seem to think so. "Yeo delivering the ball to Tex, Fog and Tilly is worth an extra 2 goals a game and we'd be in the GF with that!" response I got from someone yesterday.
Of Yeo, Tex and TT it's possible (maybe even probable) that no more than 1 of those 3 is on the park at any given time in 2025.

I would envision Yeo's situation looking most likely like the Gibbs one - a year left in him at most. At least we wouldn't be trading anything for him, but the opportunity cost is high unless we sign literally nobody else.

I think it's unlikely we take Yeo but interesting as a thought exercise mostly - what would you be willing to pay an ageing champion to play out his days with us as a way of bridging to the next generation of midfielders? The focus should really be on the "next generation of midfielders" part of that sentence rather than the "ageing champion" part. It's a path we've gone down before and it's failed us.

The bottom 6 or so players in our best 22 are not that great. They can all be replaced by better players.

And we still don't have enough elite top end talent.

We can occasionally jag a game with big performances from our best players, but the drop off in quality after say, 15th selected, means we aren't in commanding positions often enough and we have holes all over the shop in tight games.

I think it makes sense, if he played every game and was a fair price.

As long as Laird moves out, it helps us with the shift to the next generation.
Makes no sense at all if we're looking to the future especially with Yeo's age and injury history, hard no.

Yeo's missed games in his prime:

2020: Rd 10, Rd 12-23
2021: Rd 1-10
2022: Rd 1-4, Rd 7-13, Rd 17-23
2023: Rd 1-3, Rd 6-10, Rd 16-20
2024: Rd 9-tba

31 year old injury prone midfielder past his prime. Solves all our problems.
Out Sloane, in Yeo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back