List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Even then, we know we've got a guaranteed top 5 pick father-son pick this year. Maybe sam marshall is a pick in the 20s as well.

What draft picks can we get in this year that won't get eaten up by bidding? I don't want to have a bunch of 2025 picks that we are waiting on, if we are doing the regenerate the list thing it would be with the view that we get in highly rated kids now to replenish while we still have lachie, Joe, etc around.

I just don't think it makes sense.
If we're going down this rabbit hole.

If Hugh went to Geelong and we missed the 8, you'd take the compo pick.

Geelong are going to finish top 4. Adding Hugh, and they're probably finishing top 4 again next year.

You take our natural pick and compo pick, and package them up to move up in to the top 3. North should be splitting their first pick. Eagles should want a different type of mid than Levi, or look at splitting their first round pick as well.

Hugh will get paid around 1.1 million. No chance in hell Bez gets 900. Don't think he'll get 500 at this stage.
You reckon berry won’t get 500k, he will be gone if he doesn’t , I’m thinking 750 to 800. His mate Hugh will might go with him. It will be last big contract for both so they will won’t as much as the can get. Can’t blame them. Read other club boards and a lot of other clubs value him more than his own supporters .

Geelong are going to finish top 4. Adding Hugh, and they're probably finishing top 4 again next year.

You take our natural pick and compo pick, and package them up to move up in to the top 3. North should be splitting their first pick. Eagles should want a different type of mid than Levi, or look at splitting their first round pick as well.

Hard to know how many teams are interested in moving back without knowing where the talent drops off. I'd still want more than a single first round pick for Hugh, even if we ended up with say pick 8 and 9 after we got FA compo.

Hard to know how many teams are interested in moving back without knowing where the talent drops off. I'd still want more than a single first round pick for Hugh, even if we ended up with say pick 8 and 9 after we got FA compo.
If Hugh is leaving, he's most likely going to a top 4 team, and Geelong would be the obvious choice. The best Geelong could offer us is their current and future first, and that's not getting us up the board very far.

I agree. My argument was over whether we should want to keep him - which is a resounding duh.
But that wasn't the scenario I was replying to.

Obviously we should want to keep him. I'm not advocating to trade Hugh. I just went down the rabbit hole. But if Hugh wants to go, he's going.

How can Geelong afford him? They took the Suns' salary dump and are stacked. If they get him, why have a salary cap?

Wonder how much space Collingwood have with their off loadings recently.? I have no idea but imagine Pendles will be gone after this year or next, Hugh would be a perfect replacement for pendles i reckon if he was looking at collingwood.

Wonder how much space Collingwood have with their off loadings recently.? I have no idea but imagine Pendles will be gone after this year or next, Hugh would be a perfect replacement for pendles i reckon if he was looking at collingwood.

Us losing the grand final to Collingwood by a kick, turning to s**t and losing Hugh to Collingwood for pennies would be enough for me to permanently reside at the bottom of the Nerang River. God help me if that happens.

We’re paying our key forwards a lot of money for little return.

If they can have the same impact Charlie had when he first came, I’m interested.

Are we though? Joe’s contract was extremely front-loaded, so he wouldn’t be on all that much comparatively now. And Hipwood, as far as I remember there was never a reported dollar amount on his contract (just the length), which again reading between the lines tells you he’s probably not on huge coin.

Too risky for me unless we can somehow secure pick 1, there’ll always be the chance a club holds us to task and bids on Levi just to keep us accountable, especially with all the furore currently from Vic/WA clubs about “compromised drafts”.

You reckon berry won’t get 500k, he will be gone if he doesn’t , I’m thinking 750 to 800. His mate Hugh will might go with him. It will be last big contract for both so they will won’t as much as the can get. Can’t blame them. Read other club boards and a lot of other clubs value him more than his own supporters .

A lot of people here value Berry mate, you’re just replying to the one guy that thinks we won’t win a game for the next 10 years unless we trade out every current best-22 player

ADDIT: He’s now just said in another thread that everyone including the CEO has to go lol. Swannie getting a driveby now

Last edited:
Us losing the grand final to Collingwood by a kick, turning to s**t and losing Hugh to Collingwood for pennies would be enough for me to permanently reside at the bottom of the Nerang River. God help me if that happens.

I wouldn’t worry about them. If I was the dogs though I’d be slightly concerned about Bailey Smith though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hugh did want to leave and we forced a trade, I wonder what fair market value for him would be.

We traded pick 6 & 19 for Lachie at a similar age to where Hugh is now (with a little bit coming back the other way), and Hugh probably has a fair few more runs on the board than Lachie did back then.

So fair market value would probably be similarly somewhere around a top 5 pick & another later first rounder at a guess? Not that we'd get that, though. And not that it would be even close to his actual worth to us.

I reckon you read a bit too much into that Jason lol.

My take was the stuff about focusing on what someone can do rather than what they can't was aimed more at Stuart Dew than Fagan. Same with what Bez said.

Interviews are so chopped up though, you can't be certain of anything really.

Even when Berry was talking about how Hugh's decision would be a factor, you could tell there was quite a bit more he was saying about it, but you don't get to hear that.

My biggest recent memory of Berry was when he was talking about Fagan after the semi final win against Melbourne.

I'd do anything for that bloke.
Your right in that the channel 10 interview piece was chopped up. If you see the full interview with Jarrod he says he would like to play again with his brother at the end of their careers in local footy at Noosa and when asked about Hugh, he says he is pretty confident that he will stick around with us. Too me it sounds like they are both signing on.

7 min onwards, talks about playing with his brother, his contract and Hugh's contract.

I’m know that we’re stinking it up at the moment but I do find it laughable that some posters are talking about the possibility of Neale being traded back west, to let go Hugh and Berry. Seriously guys, let’s not over react here.

How can Geelong afford him? They took the Suns' salary dump and are stacked. If they get him, why have a salary cap?

Geelong has their official salary cap and then all the money that goes to players off the books, eg through severely underpriced asset transfers.

The Bowes situation was a joke. I’m pretty sure they were permitted to restructure his deal where the suns weren’t otherwise able to. The AFL either shouldn’t have ticked off that deal or ticked it off on the proviso that they had to take the salary hit on the same terms GC would have.

If Hugh did want to leave and we forced a trade, I wonder what fair market value for him would be.

We traded pick 6 & 19 for Lachie at a similar age to where Hugh is now (with a little bit coming back the other way), and Hugh probably has a fair few more runs on the board than Lachie did back then.

So fair market value would probably be similarly somewhere around a top 5 pick & another later first rounder at a guess? Not that we'd get that, though. And not that it would be even close to his actual worth to us.
Hmmmm... 2 time best & fairest winner at Freo and 3 time Glendinning medal winner not good enough?

Also if I recall correctly Neale still had a year left on his contract when we poached him, which arguably renders any comparisons of the two even less relevant.

We need to keep Hugh and Berry otherwise we will struggle for top 4 next year and probably struggle to make the 8 the year after with some of our other players getting on. It’ll effectively force a mini list rejuvenation.

People had these same discussions when Lachie was thinking of leaving, “oh it’ll allow us to restructure our midfield etc’. Too much copeium in those types of discussions.

Hugh will be paid well. It would surprise me if he wanted to play for the Essendon or Collingwood’s of the world. Doesn’t seem that personality type. Prob us or Geelong.

I assume Berry will get roughly the average of his current deal which will probably be around the average afl player salary given the significant CBA increase.

I think Lachie's record was better than Hugh's but I see Grasshopper's covered that. It was just that he was a low profile player considering how good he was.

I’m know that we’re stinking it up at the moment but I do find it laughable that some posters are talking about the possibility of Neale being traded back west, to let go Hugh and Berry. Seriously guys, let’s not over react here.
Hey if you're not winning the big one, you need to win at having the best draft picks apparently.

Article in the Herald Sun - Brisbane related parts.

Moneyball: Hugh McCluggage in demand, northern states clubs push back on mid-season trade​

The race to secure 2024’s biggest free agent is heating up, with four clubs in Victoria leading the charge. Plus, the AFL’s mid-season trade plans could be scrapped if some clubs get their way.

At least four Victorian clubs are lining up for Brisbane midfielder Hugh McCluggage as the Lions prepare to match any free agency bid which comes for the gun midfielder.

Collingwood, St Kilda, Essendon and Geelong are all circling the South Warrnambool product who will attract offers in the vicinity of $1.3 million to return home to Victoria.

The Saints want to be aggressive to attract top-line talent through free agency, while Collingwood also has salary cap room after repositioning their total player payments bill in recent years.

Geelong wants to add to its midfield stocks and Essendon coach Brad Scott has been clear he wants the Bombers to continue to scour the free agency pool.

But the Lions could scupper rivals’ efforts by matching a free agency bid which forces clubs to offer up picks in a trade to satisfy Brisbane.

Chris Fagan’s men would want multiple first-round picks in exchange for McCluggage or they would block the move.

It could mean McCluggage signs for two more years and then reconsider his future as an unrestricted free agent after 10 years service.

MID-SEASON TRADE PLANS TAKE HIT

Northern states clubs have pushed back on the AFL’s plans to introduce a mid-season trade period for next year.

The league has been in talks with clubs about bringing in a window to trade players in the middle rounds of next season to help increase player movement.

But this masthead can reveal Brisbane and GWS Giants are among the clubs who have made it clear to league headquarters they strongly oppose the concept.

There are beliefs among the northern-states clubs a mid-season trade period would heavily favour Victorian clubs where the bulk of the AFL player pool stems.

The Lions have told AFL officials it would be much harder to attract mature-age players to Queensland in particular if they had to take their children out of school in the middle of the year.

The northern states clubs have predicted the bulk of the movement would flow into Victorian rivals rather than the other way around.

The Giants have also told the AFL the end-of-season two-week trade period in combination with the mid-season draft and supplemental selection period already meets clubs’ needs.

Players could also be stranded mid-season if their moves fall over, leaving them out in the cold with teammates or fans in the middle of the season.

Currently, clubs begin to meet potential recruiting targets in the mid-season bye period, but those talks may have to take place in the early rounds of the season if the mid-season trade period was introduced, ramping up demands on clubs.

The AFL is keen to introduce a mid-season trade period to allow clubs to top-up on specific player needs in the event of a string of injuries.

The AFL Players Association approved the plan as part of last year’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

But clubs remain in the dark about the potential rules and regulations of a mid-season trade period, including any potential salary cap implications and restrictions around picks or ages of players.

There are also fears clubs at the bottom of the ladder could be targeted, making lesser sides weaker in the second half of the season.

The league has presented to clubs as part of the competitive balance review, which includes proposed changes to the end-of-season draft and trade periods.

The draft points system is set for an overhaul, but clubs are eager for any changes to be pushed back until next year.

Clubs have already planned around father-son and academy targets for this year and think changes this year could have a major impact on plans which have been in-train for 18 months.

Draft pick purchasing where clubs such as North Melbourne could absorb rivals’ salary cap pressure in return for early draft picks is also in the works.

LIONS YOUNG GUN SET TO BAULK AT MOVE

Brisbane free agent Jarrod Berry will stay at the Lions despite rival interest in the wingman and inside midfielder.

Amid speculation about whether he might want more time as a pure midfielder the Lions have offered him a new multi-year deal.

It is understood Berry has no intention of exploring rival offers and could sign that deal in coming weeks.

The competition for midfield spots will only get fiercer as Will Ashcroft returns from an ACL tear and the club drafts father-son Levi and academy prospect Sam Marshall.

But he is invested in the chase for a premiership and happy in Queensland.

Brisbane has squirrelled away cap space over recent years so has money to lock away its out-of-contract players.

Article in the Herald Sun - Brisbane related parts.

Moneyball: Hugh McCluggage in demand, northern states clubs push back on mid-season trade​

The race to secure 2024’s biggest free agent is heating up, with four clubs in Victoria leading the charge. Plus, the AFL’s mid-season trade plans could be scrapped if some clubs get their way.

At least four Victorian clubs are lining up for Brisbane midfielder Hugh McCluggage as the Lions prepare to match any free agency bid which comes for the gun midfielder.

Collingwood, St Kilda, Essendon and Geelong are all circling the South Warrnambool product who will attract offers in the vicinity of $1.3 million to return home to Victoria.

The Saints want to be aggressive to attract top-line talent through free agency, while Collingwood also has salary cap room after repositioning their total player payments bill in recent years.

Geelong wants to add to its midfield stocks and Essendon coach Brad Scott has been clear he wants the Bombers to continue to scour the free agency pool.

But the Lions could scupper rivals’ efforts by matching a free agency bid which forces clubs to offer up picks in a trade to satisfy Brisbane.

Chris Fagan’s men would want multiple first-round picks in exchange for McCluggage or they would block the move.

It could mean McCluggage signs for two more years and then reconsider his future as an unrestricted free agent after 10 years service.

MID-SEASON TRADE PLANS TAKE HIT

Northern states clubs have pushed back on the AFL’s plans to introduce a mid-season trade period for next year.

The league has been in talks with clubs about bringing in a window to trade players in the middle rounds of next season to help increase player movement.

But this masthead can reveal Brisbane and GWS Giants are among the clubs who have made it clear to league headquarters they strongly oppose the concept.

There are beliefs among the northern-states clubs a mid-season trade period would heavily favour Victorian clubs where the bulk of the AFL player pool stems.

The Lions have told AFL officials it would be much harder to attract mature-age players to Queensland in particular if they had to take their children out of school in the middle of the year.

The northern states clubs have predicted the bulk of the movement would flow into Victorian rivals rather than the other way around.

The Giants have also told the AFL the end-of-season two-week trade period in combination with the mid-season draft and supplemental selection period already meets clubs’ needs.

Players could also be stranded mid-season if their moves fall over, leaving them out in the cold with teammates or fans in the middle of the season.

Currently, clubs begin to meet potential recruiting targets in the mid-season bye period, but those talks may have to take place in the early rounds of the season if the mid-season trade period was introduced, ramping up demands on clubs.

The AFL is keen to introduce a mid-season trade period to allow clubs to top-up on specific player needs in the event of a string of injuries.

The AFL Players Association approved the plan as part of last year’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

But clubs remain in the dark about the potential rules and regulations of a mid-season trade period, including any potential salary cap implications and restrictions around picks or ages of players.

There are also fears clubs at the bottom of the ladder could be targeted, making lesser sides weaker in the second half of the season.

The league has presented to clubs as part of the competitive balance review, which includes proposed changes to the end-of-season draft and trade periods.

The draft points system is set for an overhaul, but clubs are eager for any changes to be pushed back until next year.

Clubs have already planned around father-son and academy targets for this year and think changes this year could have a major impact on plans which have been in-train for 18 months.

Draft pick purchasing where clubs such as North Melbourne could absorb rivals’ salary cap pressure in return for early draft picks is also in the works.

LIONS YOUNG GUN SET TO BAULK AT MOVE

Brisbane free agent Jarrod Berry will stay at the Lions despite rival interest in the wingman and inside midfielder.

Amid speculation about whether he might want more time as a pure midfielder the Lions have offered him a new multi-year deal.

It is understood Berry has no intention of exploring rival offers and could sign that deal in coming weeks.

The competition for midfield spots will only get fiercer as Will Ashcroft returns from an ACL tear and the club drafts father-son Levi and academy prospect Sam Marshall.

But he is invested in the chase for a premiership and happy in Queensland.

Brisbane has squirrelled away cap space over recent years so has money to lock away its out-of-contract players.
Pleased the club is on the front foot about the mid-season trade period. Absolutely comical that it has been allowed to get even this far.

Back