List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

No it’s not. Go and have a look at the premiership profiles - and also North (and Melbourne where they cut to deep). Even in a Monday -Friday setting experience counts.

Agree Smith was putrid the first 3 weeks - but then played quite well before injuring his back (note Milera and Hinge Aldo’s tarted the season poorly before building form

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The fact that he played badly as an experienced player goes to show experience doesn’t matter, form counts for more than experience.
Soligo won the showdown medal, how experienced is he?
Form and talent matter not experience, that’s third in the list.

The fact that he played badly as an experienced player goes to show experience doesn’t matter, form counts for more than experience.

Experience seems to be a get out of jail card for people who can’t rationally argue for their predisposition

Better for long term or short term?

I reckon it definitely would help bring a player up to a certain level quicker, does it raise their ceiling?

I'm not convinced playing a young guy out of his grade is the gold standard. How often does it happen in Victoria for extended periods?

Admittedly they have a stronger u18s comp.

I'm guessing in general it would be better both short and long term. That's based on nothing but gut feel though, i have no data to back it up :)

I'm speculating that a typical player development arc is to continue to improve at some rate each year up to the point their body/physical ability starts to decline. Potential maximum improvement each year would be greater in the earlier years, so i suspect nailing those can go some way towards raising their ceiling - as opposed to each player just inherently having a fixed ceiling that they reach earlier. It would likely vary by player though.

Experience points to consistency, playing 200+ games means you have been consistent over a long period.

So experience can trump talent, as talent can be more up and down.

The problem with Smith is that he's consistently out of form...

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Experience points to consistency, playing 200+ games means you have been consistent over a long period.

you’ve talked about form, which I mentioned.

Petty will cost good $ and good pick/s.

I look and look but don't think he's anything much as a player or a need. Who does he replace to make us better?

Hayward however

It's a pretty clear bell curve though - start your career, build to your prime, prime for the bulk of the career, then the downward slope.

When you're towards the end of the downward slope, there becomes a point where the value of experiences is outweighed by the lack of performance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be very easy to dismiss this nonsense as something no one could seriously believe

But experience with your work says otherwise

The problem with Smith is that he no longer provides the drive and creativity off half back that he's in the side for.
He cant defend, and is becoming less reliable by foot. Was excellent once, but has dropped off sharply.

1715344583607.png

The problem with Smith is that he no longer provides the drive and creativity off half back that he's in the side for.
He cant defend, and is becoming less reliable by foot. Was excellent once, but has dropped off sharply.

View attachment 1985298
Bingo. Some argue that this decline has been over recent years too (and I’m not going to necessarily disagree), but you’d still see moments of vintage Smith. Now, he just generally looks the shell of what he used to be

Wing, or SANFL

That’s not true, an experienced player gets games of shitness before they are dropped. Murphy’s played 100 games, but he’s been dropped basically every year, he doesn’t get dropped off one bad game, we have to tolerate a number of them then he’s brought back in, sometimes after not even playing a SANFL game.

Petty will cost good $ and good pick/s.

I look and look but don't think he's anything much as a player or a need. Who does he replace to make us better?

Hayward however
Agreed, Petty's solid and with where the defence was at end of last year, totally get why the club aggressively pursued him. Now we're flush with defensive talls and I don't really rate him as a forward. Can't imagine they see him as the long term replacement for Tex.

He's a tall who can play both ends, so he'll command a 1st rd pick and a bucket of cash. Surely we'd be mad to go after him again this off season, especially when he's a free agent year after.

Surely.

Agreed, Petty's solid and with where the defence was at end of last year, totally get why the club aggressively pursued him. Now we're flush with defensive talls and I don't really rate him as a forward. Can't imagine they see him as the long term replacement for Tex.

He's a tall who can play both ends, so he'll command a 1st rd pick and a bucket of cash. Surely we'd be mad to go after him again this off season, especially when he's a free agent year after.

Surely.
That's pretty much been confirmed.

There were a few media reports that his manager had met with the Crows and they didn't hear what they were hoping for.

That's pretty much been confirmed.

There were a few media reports that his manager had met with the Crows and they didn't hear what they were hoping for.
If he really wants to come, he can wait another year. Surely would be unrestricted given all the Dees stars. Had only played 30 games when he signed his last contract.

Is that really a surprise? Smith is the quasi-leader of the football club especially amongst the players, he has his fingers in so many pies down there, I’ve heard in the past he basically runs social get togethers, he’s got connections for clothing company’s and other ‘freebies’ deals for the players and runs racehorse ownership syndicates with several different teammates as well. Not to mention his parents also run the team parents of players get togethers.
All of which can still be achieved from the SANFL.

Oscar Ryan is the Brodie Smith replacement.

GWS Cumming would be handy for experience in defence if his body is right.

Murray and one of Keane/Butts as the other lock down.

Another year of Worrell and Curtin elite left foot distribution out of defence as Curtin builds his tank. Stuff being a forward against these 2.

Michelany appears to still be taking the small forward. I would play Jones as the lock down small defender and free up Michelany but it doesn't seem to have occurred this year. Jones doesn't offer enough as a wingman

Hinge playing the mr fix it.
Very good summary.
But I'm still hoping for a nice (Dawson type) surprise from one of our backs to emerge as a strong midfielder. Max, Curtin, Hinge???

I just want to know if it's that back injury curtailing him still or whether it's purely age related. If it's the former, surely he needs a few weeks off to recuperate.
Tongue in cheek...

Is it just a coincidence that our three oldest players are either suffering with bad backs or are losing their eyesight?

Love them all really but time stands not still...

Experience doesn't necessarily equal on field leadership as well. Experience on its own is worthless, it's merely one of the potential drivers of selectable performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back