Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In a huge clash between pick 1 contenders Josh Smillie clearly got the better of Finn O'Sullivan on the day. He was strong at the contest, clean by foot and got forward to bag a couple of goals.

Perth is ⬅️ that way Josh 👍 It's a long drive though. Top up the tank at every opportunity, take plenty of drinking water, food, snacks, 3 spares, sunscreen, floppy hat, all the usual's.

Smillie, Ried and Ginbey would be an interesting midfield mix

Probably good for us.

I think we finish anywhere from 17th-14th.

There is an early days clear top 4 (or top 6 if you include Ashcroft (Bris F/s) & Lombard (GC A)

A very long way out, but O'Sullivan is definitely the one that probably suits our list make up the most, particularly if Powell continues to have a breakout year in the center square. So anything that pushes him down the board further is a good thing.

Smillie would be next best, with Draper and Jagga Smith last of the conceived top 4 at the moment. Smith is probably too similar to Phillips and Powell to an extent.

O'Sullivan would fit beautifully on a wing long term with McKercher in there as well.

Draper will appeal to a lot of sides, and I anticipate Adelaide will move heaven and earth for him, he's exactly what they need in a young mid, but we probably need him the least. I think whoever is in line for Draper will be in a strong position to move back in the board with Adelaide.

Likely to change obviously as the year goes on, but these are my early season procrastinations.

Last edited:
Probably good for us.

There is an early days clear top 4 (or top 6 if you include Ashcroft (Bris F/s) & Lombard (GC A)

A very long way out, but O'Sullivan is definitely the one that probably suits our list make up the most, particularly if Powell continues to have a breakout year in the center square. So anything that pushes him down the board further is a good thing.

Smillie would be next best, with Draper and Jagga Smith last of the conceived top 4 at the moment. Smith is probably too similar to Phillips and Powell to an extent.

O'Sullivan would fit beautifully on a wing long term with McKercher in there as well.

Draper will appeal to a lot of sides, and I anticipate Adelaide will move heaven and earth for him, he's exactly what they need in a young mid, but we probably need him the least. I think whoever is in line for Draper will be in a strong position to move back in the board with Adelaide.

Likely to change obviously as the year goes on, but these are my early season procrastinations.

Watching highlights of Jagga Smith he moves like Connor Rozee, is that a fair comparison?

Watching highlights of Jagga Smith he moves like Connor Rozee, is that a fair comparison?

Don't think he's nearly as athletic, but I haven't seen the pre-season testing yet.

Think he's more Serong/Ashcroft than Rozee. O'Sullivan would be more similar to someone like Rozee imo.

Probably good for us.

What about Moraes? He sounds like a jet.

Probably good for us.

IMO Smillie is a better fit - we don't have an 190 plus midfield bull.

Powell 1.84
Simpkin 1.82
LDU 1.88
Wardlaw - 1.82
McKercher - 1.80
Sheezel 1.85
Phillips 1.80
Tucker 1.84
Lazzaro 1.80

Smillie 1.94 V O'Sullivan 1.82

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moraes showed some signs of rust like many on the day and will be better for the run, but overall he played a solid game that helped to spur his Eastern team to victory. One of the more interesting developments was his impact when played in the forward line where he presented well on the lead and kicked a couple of goals.

In a huge clash between pick 1 contenders Josh Smillie clearly got the better of Finn O'Sullivan on the day. He was strong at the contest, clean by foot and got forward to bag a couple of goals.

Good thing is I don't think WC will take Smillie, if they have pick 1.....too similar to Reid and Ginbey I think.

I'm hoping like hell we don't have pick 2 though, wuld mean we've had another crap year

Who is the highest rated KPF in the draft?
Way too early at the moment but I've got huge wraps on Kayle Gerreyn from West Perth, he's a 198cm forward used as a ruck for a lot of last year and he is potentially very good, the first half of the year will sought out who is in form and any surprise packets.

Way too early but leading up to this season it's been:
Jonty Faull, 195+ from Rebels/Vic Country - injured ETA mid season
Jack Whitlock, 199+ from Bushies/Vic Country - kick 4 in his first game thus far in Coates.

Keep an eye on:
Tom Sims, 199cm from Knights, kicked 5 in first game in Coates.
Zac McInnes, 197cm+ from Falcons.
I'm interested in the development of Sam Buck 198cm from Dragons but likely to be a ruck cos this kid is rangey as rangey can be!

I think Luke Trainor could play KPF but he's more known as KPD (we need too!!).

There are a few 195+ KPF playing Coates and will be interesting which one makes a splash at Nationals....sadly l think the top 10-15 will all be midfielders and midsize forwards.

Last edited:
A tough start to the season for the early pick 1 favourite. Finn suffered a thumb fracture in the first quarter, but battled on to have a positive impact for the Chargers. Even though he was understandably quieter than normal, he still showed some of the elite traits that have recruiters salivating.

Jonty Faull
Jobe Shanahan
Kayle Gerryn
Luke Trainor (defender at this stage)
Jack Whitlock
Matt Whitlock
Noah Mraz (defender at this stage)

Tyler Welsh will be up the pointy end too but he is tied to Adelaide so didn’t include him.

Everyone went the early crow and said that this will be a midfielders draft but I think it’s actually shaping up really good for talls as there are plenty of genuine athletic talls in that 194-199cM catetgory.

A tough start to the season for the early pick 1 favourite. Finn suffered a thumb fracture in the first quarter, but battled on to have a positive impact for the Chargers. Even though he was understandably quieter than normal, he still showed some of the elite traits that have recruiters salivating.

Looks like Georgey W in that clip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back