Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL effectively took him off us with that suspension (altho we kmay have sacked him immediately anyway.)

They owe us a player really.

This will definitely be used to gain afl assistance, we might even push for an extra top 10 pick if we play our cards right.

We ain't getting more assistance, we already got it last year and that's likely it for us.
Focus on improving player development/fitness/strength and changing the losing culture/environment.
We'll get picks and/or players from the Zurhaar compo/trade situation and potentially could shop Phillips (sad).
Splitting the 1st or 2nd rounder, putting the F2 on the table to trade up or get another 2nd rounder this year.
I wouldn't trade the F1 this year as we're likely to be in a similar position next year.
We've got to assemble enough talent to compete with GC so it might bottom three for the next 2 years unfortunately.
Losing TT has hurt the level of talent. We don't have that Shai Bolton game breaker on our list.

That has nothing to do with weather we ask for it or not. Seek you shall find. There is no ego in this. We might fight to get every piece of scrap. We need to be ruthless and explore all options. That's how you run a club, you don't just lean back and say we are proud and stand blah blah crap. The players will develop and we must get all the resources in anyways we can.

This was Sam's first game back after injury cost him the start of the season. He spent a lot of time on the bench, possibly on managed minutes, but he was involved enough to show his class and physicality. Lalor will certainly be one to watch as the season progresses.

One of my favourites in this years draft class, bit of Luke Parker about the way he plays. Despite being a powerful kid he has classy skills when he gets out in space.

One of my favourites in this years draft class, bit of Luke Parker about the way he plays. Despite being a powerful kid he has classy skills when he gets out in space.
I've been comparing him with Cam Rayner in my mind. He has a similar combination of power and x-factor. He also has similar question marks... can he find enough of the footy? Does he read the game well enough? His stoppage craft is both fantastic and also a bit limited, he stands flat footed too often and only contests when the ball is hit in his area... but then he almost never loses a contest because he's so powerful and quick.

I've been comparing him with Cam Rayner in my mind. He has a similar combination of power and x-factor. He also has similar question marks... can he find enough of the footy? Does he read the game well enough? His stoppage craft is both fantastic and also a bit limited, he stands flat footed too often and only contests when the ball is hit in his area... but then he almost never loses a contest because he's so powerful and quick.

I think that's a very fair comparison too. He's probably a bit ahead of Rayner at the same age with his midfield craft, but equally as capable when he gets pushed forward.

I think his lack of accumulation comes from fitness rather than footy IQ, I think once he gets his tank up to scratch he'll have no worries getting plenty of the footy.

Love him already. Get him in Thursfields.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
my poor joke aside, I think BFNAAK is a legitimate variable to consider in our circumstances - we need blokes who want to be here and get into the trenches because they believe in the place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my poor joke aside, I think BFNAAK is a legitimate variable to consider in our circumstances - we need blokes who want to be here and get into the trenches because they believe in the place
It was the " I don't watch much * " that got me.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I wonder if that's what Martin Luther King meant when he had a dream. Certainly missed one there
Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

I have a dream that one day on the hill of Arden Street, the sons of former North Melbourne players and young men who barracked for North Melbourne as a kid (BFNAAK) will be able to sit down together at the coffee cart.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Victoria, a state sweltering with the heat of AFL injustice, sweltering with the heat of AFL Media oppression will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their Royal Blue & White jumpers but by their Tik Tok followers. I have a dream today.

Last edited:
Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

I have a dream that one day on the hill of Arden Street, the sons of former North Melbourne players and young men who barrack for North Melbourne as a kid will be able to sit down together at the coffee cart.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Victoria, a state sweltering with the heat of AFL injustice, sweltering with the heat of AFL Media oppression will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their AFL jumpers but by their Tik Tok followers. I have a dream today.
very good

A look back at the first game of 2024 for the super consistent Tom Gross. In a game in which his team was largely beaten at stoppage and in contests around the ground, Gross was one of the few that put in a strong and consistent performance across the four quarters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back