Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jagga "The Lone Ranger" Smith continues to play exceptional football in a team that routinely coughs up big losses. His defensive efforts were an improvement on last week, and his stoppage craft was as elite as always as he sliced through congestion with decisive and attacking intent. His kicking was his typical mixed bag, starting off with some nice spot up targets hit and then seeming to degenerate at the game went on.

Well who cares what other clubs think or say. We will be here in the afl for many many years to come. I cant even work out why you would be worried about what other clubs think there is enough supporters on here in our own forum that think worse of us.
Wanna point me to the bit where I said I was worried. You are trying to pick a fight that I have zero interest in mate.
I could give 2 shits what other clubs really think, of course they hate us. But you watch the media narrative start to shift, and for that it'll be bloody annoying, thats what I was saying.......it's comin

Wanna point me to the bit where I said I was worried. You are trying to pick a fight that I have zero interest in mate.
I could give 2 shits what other clubs really think, of course they hate us. But you watch the media narrative start to shift, and for that it'll be bloody annoying, thats what I was saying.......it's comin
I am definitely not trying to pick a fight way to grown up for that type of stuff i just think you are wrong.

Wrong about what though mate? My view is it won't take long for someone with the "sources believe", or "others clubs senior management" garbage and it will be a narrative.
I do not believe the club does not try everything to improve itself regardless of the things you have mentioned.

Jagga "The Lone Ranger" Smith continues to play exceptional football in a team that routinely coughs up big losses. His defensive efforts were an improvement on last week, and his stoppage craft was as elite as always as he sliced through congestion with decisive and attacking intent. His kicking was his typical mixed bag, starting off with some nice spot up targets hit and then seeming to degenerate at the game went on.

This guy is my favourite so far.

Absolute elite decision maker who would compliment Sheez and Colby's skills magnificently.

Would go somewhat close to start filling the gaping hole Tarryn left for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not believe the club does not try everything to improve itself regardless of the things you have mentioned.
Oh was that what you were referring to? How I mentioned how we don't use each lever available to us?

I'm pretty disappointed in our loss/disregard of the NGA in Tas.......that just seems ridiculous to me.
We had connections in Ballarat and walked away from it.......maybe we were pushed.
I actually like McGuire's idea of tracking North North or whatever he called it......shouldn't need him to point that out though. Great way to search for talent but also build your brand as well. We won't do it, too expensive or something.
I mentioned the PSD and our use of the SSP(is that what it's called?) has been pretty diabolical.
Our drafting in 2d round and onwards has been a lot of "stab in the darks" for years, early picks are easy, but our homework on the later rounds leaves a lot to be desired......yep I'll give you Larkey and Brown, but they were long long shots super late. I'm talking picks 22/23 onwards, we've made some absolute howlers on the night that even I, as a casual draft watcher, was like "WTF?" on the night. Walker, Mahoney, all the QLD blokes, just wasted picks. Maybe Walker unlucky, but he was still a stretch at that time. Tim Kelly would've been unreal, not to mention the 10 blokes after Kelly,
I'm in no way convinced we use enough people around the country looking for talent, maybe that's a cost thing, but if you wanna compete then it's pretty important.
This is an old bugbear of mine, but I think we have been terrible in promoting ourselves to all the new immigrants in North Melbourne and Flemington in the past 30-40 years. We should have at least another 10-15K supporters from this avenue. Maybe the Huddle will rectify that, but I'm not convinced.

He's perfect for us.

Oh was that what you were referring to? How I mentioned how we don't use each lever available to us?

I'm pretty disappointed in our loss/disregard of the NGA in Tas.......that just seems ridiculous to me.
We had connections in Ballarat and walked away from it.......maybe we were pushed.
I actually like McGuire's idea of tracking North North or whatever he called it......shouldn't need him to point that out though. Great way to search for talent but also build your brand as well. We won't do it, too expensive or something.
I mentioned the PSD and our use of the SSP(is that what it's called?) has been pretty diabolical.
Our drafting in 2d round and onwards has been a lot of "stab in the darks" for years, early picks are easy, but our homework on the later rounds leaves a lot to be desired......yep I'll give you Larkey and Brown, but they were long long shots super late. I'm talking picks 22/23 onwards, we've made some absolute howlers on the night that even I, as a casual draft watcher, was like "WTF?" on the night. Walker, Mahoney, all the QLD blokes, just wasted picks. Maybe Walker unlucky, but he was still a stretch at that time. Tim Kelly would've been unreal, not to mention the 10 blokes after Kelly,
I'm in no way convinced we use enough people around the country looking for talent, maybe that's a cost thing, but if you wanna compete then it's pretty important.
This is an old bugbear of mine, but I think we have been terrible in promoting ourselves to all the new immigrants in North Melbourne and Flemington in the past 30-40 years. We should have at least another 10-15K supporters from this avenue. Maybe the Huddle will rectify that, but I'm not convinced.
We definitely didn't walk away we put in all the ground work and the AFL gifted it to the Bulldogs.

Since 2020 our second round picks onward are Lazarro, Spicer, Ford, Goater, Curtis, Bergman and George with Harvey and Archer late F/S picks. The only bust out of them is Spicer, even Lazz is good depth and value because he works hard and can keep selection pressure on other players.

The people responsible for most of what you're complaining about are long gone.

i agree.

Last edited:
We definitely didn't walk away we put in all the ground work and the AFL gifted it to the Bulldogs.
We were trying to hold Ballarat and Tasmania and I really don’t think it was unreasonable if the AFL told us to choose. Also from memory there were issues with government funding to improve the ground up there that didn’t get resolved until later when we had moved on, so part of it was timing.

Since 2020 our second round picks onward are Lazarro, Spicer, Ford, Goater, Curtis, Bergman and George with Harvey and Archer late F/S picks. The only bust out of them is Spicer, even Lazz is good depth and value because he works hard and can keep selection pressure on other players.

The people responsible for most of what you're complaining about are long gone.
Not many KP players in that lot…..we took Comben in 2019 though, but it’s kinda coming home to roost a bit now huh.
We have made poor decisions as a club for a long time, I’m definitely hoping we are improving in that area, but the NGA makes you scratch ya head a bit.
Laz, hmmm, dunno. I like him, but was another 180 bloke after we’d taken 2 before him that night. Coupla big blokes in Lord or Ryan would’ve suited us, rather than a similar sized player that we’d just taken.
Spicer selection was diabolical, especially when his SANFL team mate, McCreery, would have been seen probably the exact same amount of times by our SA “insider”. McCreery the next pick too.
I just think a bit of our list management is pretty ordinary. Used to be shithouse, now let’s hope it’s better. Dunno.
I’m not complaining, just pointing out some pretty obvious things for why I think we are where we are.

Not many KP players in that lot…..we took Comben in 2019 though, but it’s kinda coming home to roost a bit now huh.
We have made poor decisions as a club for a long time, I’m definitely hoping we are improving in that area, but the NGA makes you scratch ya head a bit.

NGA is definitely a head scratcher. Understand why it shut, not why it didn't re-open.

Comben, Larkey, CCJ, McKay, Corr, KDawson and Logue at the start of last year. Its a bit light on but not completely empty of talls.

Laz, hmmm, dunno. I like him, but was another 180 bloke after we’d taken 2 before him that night. Coupla big blokes in Lord or Ryan would’ve suited us, rather than a similar sized player that we’d just taken.

Yes but at the same time having a bunch of mids develop and grow together isn't a bad thing.

Spicer selection was diabolical, especially when his SANFL team mate, McCreery, would have been seen probably the exact same amount of times by our SA “insider”. McCreery the next pick too.

Its pick 42 - I tend to agree but its pick 42. Everyone else including Collingwood passed on McCreery twice. marklovesbeer its your club. Did you think we should have picked McCreery based on his junior form?

I just think a bit of our list management is pretty ordinary. Used to be shithouse, now let’s hope it’s better. Dunno.
I’m not complaining, just pointing out some pretty obvious things for why I think we are where we are.

If you go look at my posting (for years) pre the 2020 cull I was always pretty against bottoming out cos I knew we'd end up here. But it was obvious something had to happen by the end of that season and once the decision was made we had to follow it thru. No point going half arsed to jag a few wins here and there.

The CCJ trade was bad but that's about it and that's with hindsight. Someone (maybe you?) said we "sold the farm" for him but we just swapped a 2nd rounder that we traded back in the following year then the AFL gave an extra one anyway so we never lost anything on that trade. He's just been disappointing.

Jacob Edwards was an obvious choice and his lack of effort i on him no one else.

People keep saying this late pick or that late pick should have been some random player instead of whoever we got but I don't remember any of those players being on anyone's rader during the draft threads of those years. Before we got JHF I did wonder if we should trade pick one - we would have ended up with Van Rooyen, Callaghan and Goater with any luck but who in their right mind would have done that?

People need to let Logan McDonald go

We were trying to hold Ballarat and Tasmania and I really don’t think it was unreasonable if the AFL told us to choose. Also from memory there were issues with government funding to improve the ground up there that didn’t get resolved until later when we had moved on, so part of it was timing.
This is a bit of a Roy Lion thing whenever it gets raised, as it means Euge is not far away to set the record straight so standby for that.

As I recall, it was a state election campaign promise by the Labor government of the day to build the Ballarat stadium and have us play games there but they lost that election. The Libs had no incentive to fulfil the campaign promise of their opponents. We went full-on into Hobart after that, but with a desire to retain links to Ballarat should the opportunity arise once again. As you say, the AFL did not consider it appropriate for any club to have a secondary and a tertiary market so they took Ballarat away from us once the state Libs screwed the pooch as one-term wonders and handed power back to Labor. The stadium deal came back as policy and the Bulldogs were gifted the opportunity.

Last edited:
If the club doesn't select smilie then we have some real problem. He is a player that provides some we've never had, i.e. dominant prescence at centre square.

Our biggest weakness is the centre square.

Smilie is nat fyfe size player who is vic product hence no go home factor.

When there is no go home factor, the pull from the big clubs gets reduced significantly and syd won't have any effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back