Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Can try.
Pretty sure he'd run out anyway even if he wasn't picked.
This is the guy that tried to play on in the VFL with a broken leg in his rookie season so yeah probably lol

Just finished watching the Replay. Confirmed a lot of what I thought I saw at the ground re: lack of spread from about halfway thru the 3rd. We put the cue in the rack as we were knackered and tried to hang on for the last 20 minutes thinking we'd done enough. Technically, that's true I guess, but I'd prefer to see us at least try and put on 1 or 2 early in the last to put the game out of reach.

Petracca was really the only thing that kept them in the game. Totally unplayable and took them on his back. We had everyone else covered but he was that good we couldn't stop him. Moving their spare defender up to the stoppages in the 3rd was a no brainer given they were chasing the game, and that helped them move the ball quicker and we couldn't stay with them as we were gassed.

The thing I liked most was that the first quarter was as professional and clinical of a performance I've seen in a very long time. Patient and great execution. Not sure I've seen it that extent from us before. More of the same for longer next week, please.

I could see the glee on Luke Darcy’s face from 2 commentary boxes away as he was riding Melbourne home.

In fairness, in the semi-final last year he was sort of the same with us storming home and winning.

Commentators tend to barrack for the side coming back as that's the 'story'.

This - so much.

I had to pick my daughter up from a concert she attended, missed the second half on TV.

Had MMM on & had to turn over to ABC after 15-20 minutes. You would've thought it was the Melbourne Cheer Squad calling the game. The female caller (sorry, I don't know her - you can see her clenching her fists when Gawn goals near the end) was the worst of the lot.
Luke Darcy hates Carlton and he's allowed to. It just shouldn't come across so obviously in his call.

Blues Radio only for me from now on :cool:
Kate McCarthy is the female special comments caller on Triple M. She seems to love hating Carlton for some unknown reason, she regularly throws little jabs at the club. Isaac Smith deadset shuts her down on her stupid opinions weekly, and it is the best part of any show she's on. Rant over

Just finished watching the Replay. Confirmed a lot of what I thought I saw at the ground re: lack of spread from about halfway thru the 3rd. We put the cue in the rack as we were knackered and tried to hang on for the last 20 minutes thinking we'd done enough. Technically, that's true I guess, but I'd prefer to see us at least try and put on 1 or 2 early in the last to put the game out of reach.

Petracca was really the only thing that kept them in the game. Totally unplayable and took them on his back. We had everyone else covered but he was that good we couldn't stop him. Moving their spare defender up to the stoppages in the 3rd was a no brainer given they were chasing the game, and that helped them move the ball quicker and we couldn't stay with them as we were gassed.

The thing I liked most was that the first quarter was as professional and clinical of a performance I've seen in a very long time. Patient and great execution. Not sure I've seen it that extent from us before. More of the same for longer next week, please.

I saw it very much the same

Question I have is over last two weeks it was obvious early to most that the only chance the opposition had to win was for their Star player to step up. Last week N.Daicos and last night Petracca.

I'd like to know WHY we don't have someone sit on them?

Sick over the negative press every time we win a close one and how Melb was robbed. What about the 💩 decisions we copped… McGovern’s non mark in the third quarter that ended in a goal.

Close game aside, surely the key takeaway from the game is that when we were in beast mode, they had no answers (at all - not Gawn, Oliver, Petracca in the middle nor Viney) and couldn't get anywhere near us....

Petracca getting lucky with a couple of cheap goals in Q2 the only blemish on our early team effort.
When we’ve been in beast mode, no one has been able to match us. GWS was another who just fell away.

I’m expecting that we are piloting our way to a point where we reckon we can sustain beast mode for the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see when the coaches decide to flick the switch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question I have is over last two weeks it was obvious early to most that the only chance the opposition had to win was for their Star player to step up. Last week N.Daicos and last night Petracca.

I'd like to know WHY we don't have someone sit on them?

Agreed. They appeared to try a few on Trac last night without success. I think Gov, Newman, and Cowan each had a crack at different times. Newman finally got him in the end....thankfully.

Walshy's post-match comments last night about missing the assignment on Daicos last week was pretty telling. He said he locked on Neal-Bullen deep in the last as a result. There's one lesson learned, I guess.

Love the blues.

But seriously they are trying to kill me. Heart attack looming.
Genuine reply here and public service message. I’m relatively fit but ‘overstrained’ myself at the end of the semi final against Dees last year. Had a bit of a heart/ health scare because of it.

People, take care of yourselves and your health. Blues are one of my loves but my life is important.

Agreed. They appeared to try a few on Trac last night without success. I think Gov, Newman, and Cowan each had a crack at different times. Newman finally got him in the end....thankfully.

Walshy's post-match comments last night about missing the assignment on Daicos last week was pretty telling. He said he locked on Neal-Bullen deep in the last as a result. There's one lesson learned, I guess.

Kennedy was on him in the first quarter through the middle and did a great job. Goodwin then pushed him forward and McGovern Newman Cowan seemed to be arguing over who took him and a few times he was all on his own which astounded me

Personally, I would have sent a message out early for someone to take him

Damn there are a hell of a lot of salty opposition supporters out there. Karatha Salt will be wanting to take out leases on their arses to mine untapped reserves of salt.

Shits me no end too. I just take it as a sign that we are pretty bloody good and a contender. They don’t want us to actually be good again.

Yet we have beaten two teams inside the top 4. One of which was top of the ladder when we met them and undefeated
Has the turn around been outstanding sine mid 2023? - Yes

Are we top 4 at our best?-Yes

Can we win a premiership with the lack of clean ball we generate and the volume errors we commit, the reliance on weitering and injury luck with injury prone players playing a contested ball style? - I doubt it but that is a subjective opinion and you may think differently.

I am watching this through a premiership lense and call it as I see it, and that is not to say I don't view the Voss era as successful. It is just we are so close and I fear a few issues may restrict us reaching the holy grail

Exposed as what? A top 6 side?

We’ve beaten the side currently 3rd on the ladder, and lost by a bees dick to the side currently 2nd and last years premiers. All while battling the worst injury list in the comp. If the only way you’ll be happy is us going 19-0 with a percentage of 200, might need to check expectations.
Yes a top 6 side, which is not the worst. The Voss era is successful. I am looking at this through a premiership lense, and have my doubts.

Genuine reply here and public service message. I’m relatively fit but ‘overstrained’ myself at the end of the semi final against Dees last year. Had a bit of a heart/ health scare because of it.

People, take care of yourselves and your health. Blues are one of my loves but my life is important.
Can't agree more with this post.

Hope your ok now.

Back