List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t be against Lobb, assuming a reasonable deal for years/coin.

We’re currently fronting up with Pinky in the same role. CCJ (who is possibly only marginally better than Pink, if at all) before he was injured. So it’s a definite need.

We also desperately need to get to the point where our draftee talls get developed in the twos over a couple of seasons, under less pressure and with more focus on honing their craft than getting thrown to the wolves in the seniors.

Lobb would be a key position version of Jared Polec.

Remember when we "needed" him because we needed outside run and polish?

To paraphrase the metal icon Ronan Keating, sometimes "you trade it best, when you trade for nothing at all".
We’re not giving a first rounder for the privilege of having Lobb on the list.

No I know that Pick 1 doesn't come into the trade for Wines. I was meaning that if NM added a seasoned midfielder such as Wines, the thinking might be to not recruit a young midfielder with pick 1. Split pick 1 for multiple 1st round picks to fill in other holes on the list, such as a small forward and a utility such as Trainor. Again ..... its purely speculation, so not to be relied on in anyway.
I know what you meant and I’m saying we’d have no issue taking a mid pick 1 even if we take wines who only has a few years left and would need to be replaced soon anyway

If Lobb comes cheap then I think it's a no brainer, it's abundantly clear that the game plan is based on a forward / ruck and CCJ's injury, whether you rate him or not, has severely affected this.

He's an upgrade on CCJ, yes that's easy, but if it means Lobb takes some heat off Larkey and can be a stop gap for 2 years then what have we got to lose? Screen Shot 2024-05-27 at 4.25.39 pm.png

Last edited:
5 offseasons to contribute to lIst shape and demographics.

Think you could make a reasonable case that he and the Clayton's recruiter haven't shot the lights out.

And that's will draft hands that Stibbard would've killed for.
LOL. How Freudian is that...

There's been some glaring errors but also good decisions that people on here can simply cos they're upset we're losing.

Anything rawlings does that is good gets played down, anything that is neutral is bad and his mistakes are worse than Hitler. No one's come on and analyzed what he's done in a calm neutral manner, its just a bunch of rubes at the bottom of the hill with pitchforks and torches.

I can't take people seriously if they think getting Zac Fisher and pick 17 was a poor move or won't acknowledge it cos it doesn't suit their narrative, that Darcy Tucker, one of our best players on the weekend, was some huge mistake cos he came free with a trade for Logue and was another mature body. Same with turning JHF walking out, which could have ****ed us so much worse than it did, into Sheezel and Wardlaw.

Anyway it isn't my decsision, Viney Clarkson and the board can decide whether they want him involved or go in a new direction and i'll be fine with whatever they pick.

Rawling may not have shot the lights out but he hasn't missed them all either.

No one can guarantee any player will make the side better.

You're allowed to do that but that deal with Stephens also netted us Fisher and Wil Dawson who do make us a better side. If he plays the way he did this week in the VFL he'll be back in the side soon enough anyway.

Can you list these players and tell me how you're going to get proven players to the club?

The draft capital won't kill us? Jesus. If having Stephens on the list is the price for getting Wil Dawson and Zac Fisher then he's worth having on the list for that alone.

Why don't you pile up all these busts, misses and shit contracts and we can assess how many of them actually are that bad and how many are you looking for something to be negative about.
You are assuming that the only way we get Dawson and Fisher is through doing the Stephen’s deal. The club had 2 x second round picks to play with, so it’s a long bow to be drawing that we only got Fisher and Dawson by trading in Stephens.

As for fringe, CCJ, Tucker, Stephens and Fisher were all fringe players at their clubs. There are 4 that I didn’t even need to think about. You could argue we would be no worse off if we had none of them on our list. In fact you could do what you have done and drawn a long bow and say if the trade capital used on all 4 was used better, we may be in a better situation.

I’m not sure how anyone can defend the List Management strategy at North and keep a straight face. It’s been diabolical.

I don't particularly love him I'm just over stupid the pitchfork mob/witchhunt mentality people have. Its stupid.
It’s not a witch hunt. It’s pure facts. The list is a shambles and we have been shithouse for 5 years and still on the bottom staring at a winless season.

It’s not like we have had a shortage of draft picks or opportunity to try and improve that list. Pissing away picks for a player like CCJ when we had the whip hand in negotiations is just a sample of the incompetence that’s taken place at Arden Street.

I think people are just sick of the club making bad decision after bad decision, and let’s be honest one common denominator has been across most of them.

LOL. How Freudian is that...

There's been some glaring errors but also good decisions that people on here can simply cos they're upset we're losing.

Anything rawlings does that is good gets played down, anything that is neutral is bad and his mistakes are worse than Hitler. No one's come on and analyzed what he's done in a calm neutral manner, its just a bunch of rubes at the bottom of the hill with pitchforks and torches.

I can't take people seriously if they think getting Zac Fisher and pick 17 was a poor move or won't acknowledge it cos it doesn't suit their narrative, that Darcy Tucker, one of our best players on the weekend, was some huge mistake cos he came free with a trade for Logue and was another mature body. Same with turning JHF walking out, which could have ****ed us so much worse than it did, into Sheezel and Wardlaw.

Anyway it isn't my decsision, Viney Clarkson and the board can decide whether they want him involved or go in a new direction and i'll be fine with whatever they pick.

Rawling may not have shot the lights out but he hasn't missed them all either.
Good post, but JHF was wardlaw and goad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are assuming that the only way we get Dawson and Fisher is through doing the Stephen’s deal. The club had 2 x second round picks to play with, so it’s a long bow to be drawing that we only got Fisher and Dawson by trading in Stephens.

As for fringe, CCJ, Tucker, Stephens and Fisher were all fringe players at their clubs. There are 4 that I didn’t even need to think about. You could argue we would be no worse off if we had none of them on our list. In fact you could do what you have done and drawn a long bow and say if the trade capital used on all 4 was used better, we may be in a better situation.

Other clubs turn fringe players into good role players all the time, Clarkson has a history of doing it.

We would have been worse off on the weekend without Tucker and Fisher. You can argue we'd be no worse off without them all you like. You'll just be wrong. We traded PPs for Logue and Tucker came with him. So you're saying that if Freo wouldn't let anyone else go you'd have rather just had Logue? Or we shouldn't have traded for Logue at all?

You're just having a whinge.

I’m not sure how anyone can defend the List Management strategy at North and keep a straight face. It’s been diabolical.

Can you even identify our List Management strategy? Obviously long before Logue did his leg the strategy for KPDs was to develop Comben and Logue with KDawson and Corr as third tall options. They probably had an eye on WDawson as a drafteee but maybe not. What's your problem with that?

It’s not a witch hunt. It’s pure facts. The list is a shambles and we have been shithouse for 5 years and still on the bottom staring at a winless season.

It’s not like we have had a shortage of draft picks or opportunity to try and improve that list. Pissing away picks for a player like CCJ when we had the whip hand in negotiations is just a sample of the incompetence that’s taken place at Arden Street.

This didn't happen. We traded back into that round and picked Brayden George.

I think people are just sick of the club making bad decision after bad decision, and let’s be honest one common denominator has been across most of them.
So every decision has been bad, even the ones that weren't?

Good post, but JHF was wardlaw and goad
In terms of picks yes.

In terms of what they are onfield tho... that's a different story. Because of that situation we got those two in the same draft, their own narrative to go with them and a bit of a chip on their shoulder. That was obvious on the weekend seeing the vibe between them and JHF, especially with Georgie Boy.

So in your view how could we have used it better. We can only bring in players interested in coming here. Interested in what you come up with.

Chad Warner worth a look? Not sure if he would replace Lazaro or Bailey Scott in the pecking order

So in your view how could we have used it better. We can only bring in players interested in coming here. Interested in what you come up with.
That’s a loaded question, as I would need to know what other clubs may have tabled for those picks?

That’s my whole point. If only shit players are interested in coming, then don’t bring them in at all, go to the draft until AFL proven quality becomes available.

If you can convince me that the club is in a better place because we brought in a whole lot of shitmen that are fringe at best then go for it?

Out of all of our recent trading, the only two that we’re getting regular games at their clubs were Jaiden Stephenson and Griffin Logue.

CCJ - fringe at Richmond
Atu - fringe at Collingwood
Tucker - fringe at Fremantle
Stephens - fringe at Sydney
Fisher - fringe at Carlton
Biggie - fringe at Richmond

There is nothing to say you need to take another clubs shit, because they are the only ones interested in coming. Just go to the draft.

We don’t pay these guys with Monopoly money and they also take up list spots.

As a club we need to be making smarter and better list decisions, or clogging the list with crap that we are continually having to cycle through.

People must have their head in the sand if they are happy with our List Management?

Last edited:
That’s a loaded question, as I would need to know what other clubs may have tabled for those picks?

That’s my whole point. If only shit players are interested in coming, then don’t bring them in at all, go to the draft until AFL proven quality becomes available.

If you can convince me that the club is in a better place because we brought in a whole lot of shitmen that are fringe at best then go for it?

Out of all of our recent trading, the only two that we’re getting regular games at their clubs were Jaiden Stephenson and Griffin Logue.

CCJ - fringe at Richmond

There is nothing to say you need to take another clubs shit, because they are the only ones interested in coming. Just go to the draft.

Bad a club we need to be making smarter and better list decisions, or clogging the list with crap that we are continually having to cycle through.

People must have their head in the sand if they are happy with our List Management?
So you are saying we should have gone to the draft instead of picking up Fisher Stephens. So you would have us running around with a heap more 18 year olds on the field. Who from last years draft should we have taken. Not sure the AFL would have been keen on us doing that with those picks.

CCJ - fringe at Richmond

Bad a club we need to be making smarter and better list decisions, or clogging the list with crap that we are continually having to cycle through.

Totally agree our list management is a disaster so to me you have to blame the list manager. Sack him I say and employ someone who got some ideas on recruiting and drafting as we can’t keep going with this bloke

So you are saying we should have gone to the draft instead of picking up Fisher Stephens. So you would have us running around with a heap more 18 year olds on the field. Who from last years draft should we have taken. Not sure the AFL would have been keen on us doing that with those picks.
Replace Fisher with Hardeman and what difference is there to now?

Maybe we would have an extra two kids that might one day be AFL quality, instead we have Fisher at Half Back which we have plenty of options and Dylan Stephens playing shit footy at every level.

It’s not that draft in isolation, it’s been the constant brining in of fringe players over the past few years that have not helped the list at all that is hurting us.

You would need to know what other clubs offered to get the full picture, but Fisher and Stephens aren’t really making the list shift we are looking to make.

You could actually argue playing Stephens and sending Scott back has actually made us worse. Scott has lost any gains he made last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back