List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not on top of the trades.
Could this work?
Get an ageing Jack Crisp off the pies for needed midfield strength.
Can we somehow make Tarryn attractive, and facilitate him in a trade for Crisp.
If any team can sort out and protect Tarryn, it will be the pies

Could this work?
The team that can sort out Tarryn is Tarryn himself - you don't think the club did everything to help him?

Could this work?
I think we get nothing for TT as he’s not on our list any more. Shithouse result for us I know.

We need to identify a bunch of pressure players and just go bang with an oversized offer spree. 1-2 forward, 1 in the middle, 1 on the wing and 1 in defence.

Eg. Maurice Rioli Jr would be perfect

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need to identify a bunch of pressure players and just go bang with an oversized offer spree. 1-2 forward, 1 in the middle, 1 on the wing and 1 in defence.

Eg. Maurice Rioli Jr would be perfect

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Tigers have turned over so many small forwards over last decade. And we've never grabbed any of them. How can they keep finding them and we can't even find one???

Some of the players below that I would look at offering overs to in terms of years and dollars.
Jarrod Berry
Blake Hardwick
Andrew McGrath
Brandan Parfitt
Isaac Cumming
Harry Perryman
Jack Graham

Two older players i would look at are Ben Keays and Jarryd Lyons, both are solid AFL players who could help guide and teach our kids how to go about it.

We don't need to give up draft capital to get any of them and all would walk into our side..

Blake Hardwick (RFA)
Ben Ainsworth (RFA)
Isaac Cumming (RFA)
Reef McInnes (will get pushed out when Dan McStay gets back)
Ned Moyle (not getting games)
Jed Busslinger (not getting games)

Keep our first for Josh Smillie

All would be best 23 except maybe Moyle.

* me reading this is enough to get you jumping in the bath with a two bar radiator.
I get that, and trust me would love to be able to lure some A-grade talent into the club and not have to take some half-chewed-up players from other teams.

However, how do you get a young A-grader to move to a rebuilding team like us? Improvement? Lifestyle? Money?

Sure we have money, but you are asking them to come on a journey which who knows how long it will take, and turn their back on their club who might be closer to a grand final window than we are.

One day we can attract some talent in, they will probably be lining up to get into North Melbourne when our youthful list matures and becomes future stars.

However till then gotta be realistic, we need depth and we need players who are willing to come into a team that may struggle for a while.

Silvangi sure he is a hasbeen, probably will never win the Coleman, maybe kick like 20 goals a season? But as a CHF, marking target, that can pinch hit in the ruck who do we have? CCJ? Sellers? Greenwood?

CCJ can barely stay on the field. Sellers will come good but will take time. Greenwood is a great pressure mid but doesn't supply forward craft.

Adam Tomlinson, chewed up old bloke from Melbourne, however still takes marks and supplies some pressure in the backhalf. Sure you can go apples for apples between him and Corr, however, Tomilnson in my view would want a game as he has been starved for it; compared to Corr who is gifted games as we have no depth.

Busslinger is another, but he still has not played a single AFL game so it would be another development project with long-term potential.

We would all love a Sicily, Sanders, Butters, English, or some other star to come in. However, we have those guys there with Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher, Hardeman, etc. They just need time to development.

Until then we have to win games, and we have to sell the club to players who are willing to eat some dirt and help the youth development.

Some of the players below that I would look at offering overs to in terms of years and dollars.
Jarrod Berry
Blake Hardwick

Andrew McGrath
Brandan Parfitt
Isaac Cumming
Harry Perryman
Jack Graham

Two older players i would look at are Ben Keays and Jarryd Lyons, both are solid AFL players who could help guide and teach our kids how to go about it.

We don't need to give up draft capital to get any of them and all would walk into our side..

Any of these guys would dramatically improve our defensive intensity. Parfitt is the one I really want, as shown on the weekend he still has plenty to offer and is still on the younger side. Hardwick fills a role as a lockdown back pocket or as a defensively minded small forward.

Either way, I want players that are more like the above players rather than the Fisher, Stephens & Tucker's of the world.

Stuck in a very mundane workshop while WFH this morning so I'm just taking a critical eye at the entirety of North Melbourne's AFL mens list, and breaking it down into 5 tiers;

• Tier 1 - A graders
  • Tier 2 - Solid contributors
  • Tier 3 - Too soon to say definitively
  • Tier 4 - Haven't lived up to potential, best football is behind them, or wouldn't get a game on another team
Based on these tiers, my assessment of our list as as follows;

Tier 1 - A Graders
  • Sheezel
  • Larkey
  • LDU*
Tier 2 - Solid Contributors
  • P. Curtis
  • Logue
  • Powell
  • B. Scott*
  • Xerri
  • Ford
  • Greenwood
  • Zurhaar*
Tier 3 - Too Soon To Say Definitively
  • Archer
  • Bergman
  • Comben
  • K. Dawson
  • W. Dawson
  • Drury
  • Duursma
  • B. George
  • Free
  • Goad
  • Goater
  • Hardeman
  • C. Harvey
  • Maley
  • McKercher
  • Nyuon
  • Phillips
  • Pink
  • Sellers
  • Wardlaw
Tier 4 - Haven't lived up to potential/best football appears behind them/wouldn't get games on another list
  • Fisher
  • Shiels
  • Stephens
  • Stephenson
  • C. Taylor
  • Simpkin
  • Tucker
  • Coleman-Jones
  • Corr
  • Hansen Jr
  • McDonald

*Players with an asterisk have been underperforming in 2024 but I'm not ready to drop them to a lower tier yet.

When you look at the list like this, it's not obvious we're struggling. Far too unbalanced. Especially when both our co-captains, as well as most of the games-played experience on our list is in Tier 4.

Any of these guys would dramatically improve our defensive intensity. Parfitt is the one I really want, as shown on the weekend he still has plenty to offer and is still on the younger side. Hardwick fills a role as a lockdown back pocket or as a defensively minded small forward.

Either way, I want players that are more like the above players rather than the Fisher, Stephens & Tucker's of the world.
Goater, Bergman with McKercher to the wing.

Yep.

We won’t be trading the #1 pick unless someone like Draper comes out and brains the nationals.
It won’t matter how amazing these kids are, s**t culture manufactures s**t players. That pick is better used on players to build the culture, it will change the club. We’ve done the tried and true method by taking the picks and have enough high quality youth in key parts of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stuck in a very mundane workshop while WFH this morning so I'm just taking a critical eye at the entirety of North Melbourne's AFL mens list, and breaking it down into 5 tiers;

• Tier 1 - A graders
  • Tier 2 - Solid contributors
  • Tier 3 - Too soon to say definitively
  • Tier 4 - Haven't lived up to potential, best football is behind them, or wouldn't get a game on another team
Based on these tiers, my assessment of our list as as follows;

Tier 1 - A Graders
  • Sheezel
  • Larkey
  • LDU*
Tier 2 - Solid Contributors
  • P. Curtis
  • Logue
  • Powell
  • B. Scott*
  • Xerri
  • Ford
  • Greenwood
  • Zurhaar*
Tier 3 - Too Soon To Say Definitively
  • Archer
  • Bergman
  • Comben
  • K. Dawson
  • W. Dawson
  • Drury
  • Duursma
  • B. George
  • Free
  • Goad
  • Goater
  • Hardeman
  • C. Harvey
  • Maley
  • McKercher
  • Nyuon
  • Phillips
  • Pink
  • Sellers
  • Wardlaw
Tier 4 - Haven't lived up to potential/best football appears behind them/wouldn't get games on another list
  • Fisher
  • Shiels
  • Stephens
  • Stephenson
  • C. Taylor
  • Simpkin
  • Tucker
  • Coleman-Jones
  • Corr
  • Hansen Jr
  • McDonald

*Players with an asterisk have been underperforming in 2024 but I'm not ready to drop them to a lower tier yet.

When you look at the list like this, it's not obvious we're struggling. Far too unbalanced. Especially when both our co-captains, as well as most of the games-played experience on our list is in Tier 4.
All the more reason to absolute jam as many of your “Tier 2” players into this team as possible. If it means outing our picks for this season and even bloody next year go for it.

Then you can drag those “Tier 3” players up the chain. Just like successful outfits such as our recent opponents.

A graders won't come to us, we need to just forget about that fact. Clarkson brought in not very well known experienced players to be the buffer for long enough until the senior core is established.

Remember, we are like an expansion club with so many young players. The saving grace is that we should be gaining a constant stream of bluechip players each season.

It won’t matter how amazing these kids are, s**t culture manufactures s**t players. That pick is better used on players to build the culture, it will change the club. We’ve done the tried and true method by taking the picks and have enough high quality youth in key parts of the ground.

Hugh Greenwood was meant to change the culture

Tucker was meant to change the culture

Liam Shiels was meant to change the culture.

You know who is attempting to change the culture? Harry Sheezel.

I'd prefer 1 more Harry for 100 x Liam Shiels collecting a few final pay checks.

Hugh Greenwood was meant to change the culture

Tucker was meant to change the culture

Liam Shiels was meant to change the culture.

You know who is attempting to change the culture? Harry Sheezel.

I'd prefer 1 more Harry for 100 x Liam Shiels collecting a few final pay checks.
Im with you on that.
Id dont see the culture problem tbh, we have undersized/ strength mids getting slaughtered and all our senior players are fringe on any other list. Yes some players are limited, but effort is there for the most part.
You dont have to look far to see other clubs who when down the bottom have senior players who havent always been 100% hungry. Then all of a sudden they become 50% better when the team gets better.
The problem for Clarko is that he's damned if he does and damned if he doesnt. Dont play the senior guys and let a very young outfit get destroyed or play them and get destroyed. You could imagine the outrage if senior guys were left out? At least as it is their feet are being held to the fire in proving they're part of the future.

Im with you on that.
Id dont see the culture problem tbh, we have undersized/ strength mids getting slaughtered and all our senior players are fringe on any other list. Yes some players are limited, but effort is there for the most part.
You dont have to look far to see other clubs who when down the bottom have senior players who havent always been 100% hungry. Then all of a sudden they become 50% better when the team gets better.
The problem for Clarko is that he's damned if he does and damned if he doesnt. Dont play the senior guys and let a very young outfit get destroyed or play them and get destroyed. You could imagine the outrage if senior guys were left out? At least as it is their feet are being held to the fire in proving they're part of the future.

I have no idea how any North supporter isn't completely desensitized now.

Zurhaar might be off at the end of the year. Don't really care at this point, we have plenty of medium forwards.

LDU might be surveying his options, it will definitely hurt, but I'm also non-plussed, he can * off really if he is even contemplating it.

I only really care about extracting fair value for the club in these scenarios.

I only really care about players that absolutely want to bleed for the football club, if they are burnt out from the losses, fair enough, move along.

Marcelo Bielsa has/had a very similar managerial style with his players at club level. He had ultra high performances standards ~ skin folds every day, weigh ins every two days, built accommodation next to the training pitches so players could stay there and sleep etc.

If a player ever came to him and said they wanted to go out on loan, he was shipped out the next day and told he wasn't required long term and would be sold, loaned out until the expiry of his contract.. It was a sign to him they didn't have the mental fortitude to really develop and the grit required to withstand his regime.

Im of the same opinion with CZ and even LDU, if they have their head turn. "Thanks fellas, but don't let the door hit you on the way out"

Bit torn on trading Phillips/Ford/Lazzaro types. We still need some of them around because they're going to be our more experienced players. I'm not sure it actually helps trading away those kids that are starting to come into their primes soon.
It depends what's on the table of course but another draft pick I don't think really helps right now. Ideally we replace them with a 21-24 year old player like a Busslinger/Aleer/Gruzewski type that can help now and be part of the future.

Trading the 1st round pick for a player I wouldn't do at this point and they aren't leaving a top 8 side to come to the bottom.
Splitting the 1st or 2nd rounders is more an option I would seriously consider. Might depend how many kids they want to bring in.

Trade for players in the 21-24 age bracket from GWS/GC type of teams not getting a game that make short and long term sense.
Experienced players like Graham from successful clubs that just cost money I think is worth doing with Shiels/Greenwood gone.

Number one priority has to be a key forward, both at the draft and a more mature 21-25 year old option if possible to help now, whether that's via trade or the MSD.

We ain’t trading a top 3 pick, no chance.
We might split it for two top 10 picks. I just don't see any real quality on the market a) that would want to come to us and b) is actually the type of talent you'd trade a top 3 pick for. Like McLuggage isn't going to leave the Lions.
Todd Marshall isn't that big commanding marking forward that we probably need next to Larkey.
I'd until 2026 when the draft is compromised with Tassie coming in.

I have no idea how any North supporter isn't completely desensitized now.

Zurhaar might be off at the end of the year. Don't really care at this point, we have plenty of medium forwards.

LDU might be surveying his options, it will definitely hurt, but I'm also non-plussed, he can * off really if he is even contemplating it.

I only really care about extracting fair value for the club in these scenarios.

I only really care about players that absolutely want to bleed for the football club, if they are burnt out from the losses, fair enough, move along.

Marcelo Bielsa has/had a very similar managerial style with his players at club level. He had ultra high performances standards ~ skin folds every day, weigh ins every two days, built accommodation next to the training pitches so players could stay there and sleep etc.

If a player ever came to him and said they wanted to go out on loan, he was shipped out the next day and told he wasn't required long term and would be sold, loaned out until the expiry of his contract.. It was a sign to him they didn't have the mental fortitude to really develop and the grit required to withstand his regime.

Im of the same opinion with CZ and even LDU, if they have their head turn. "Thanks fellas, but don't let the door hit you on the way out"
Great post.

We are completely desensitised.

I can’t blame people on here saying that they have better things to do - life - than get angry/depressed about watching a team get destroyed each week.

I mostly am watching a few players to see how they will go. These last two weeks it’s been Chom. The actual result and the lack of effort it accepted and a foregone conclusion, both from the club and supporters.

What is really depressing is seeing Sheeze out there on the field trying his guts out or spilling his heart in interviews and his team mates are taking the piss.

I agree. Buy-in is the most important commodity and we need to pull the plug if there is a hint of scouting for better prospects. The LDU one hurts as much as TT because you can see that if he have 100% at a better team, he will win Brownlows.

We might split it for two top 10 picks. I just don't see any real quality on the market a) that would want to come to us and b) is actually the type of talent you'd trade a top 3 pick for. Like McLuggage isn't going to leave the Lions.
Todd Marshall isn't that big commanding marking forward that we probably need next to Larkey.
I'd until 2026 when the draft is compromised with Tassie coming in.
I see Marshall and Larkey to be pretty much the same player, only Larkey knows how to kick. They are basically both two metre flankers.

We need contested marking. We have been screaming out for it since Drew left.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back