List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Throw the book at Sean Darcy and Jack Macrae

I wonder what established talent would be willing to join us that requires draft capital of that magnitude. We did very well convincing Logue to join us, and Fisher and Stevens too, but in each case, they were surplus to requirements at their previous club and it only took a pick in the 20s. To give up pick 2/3 you'd want a top 10 pick back along with an extremely good player.
McGluggage and pick in return?

l cant see us going after Darcy as we have Xerri now who is improving and others who can play ruck now and in the future.
Not interested in McCrae but might be interested in Daniels..

I've made the internal decision that we are tanking this year for picks.

There is no other reasonable explanation.

I tend to agree.

I'm almost of the believe (purely because I can't see a different logical perspective) that we are tanking this year to land those picks.

Fair to say we are 5 years away from being ultra competitive CZ will be 30, LDU pushing the same.

If we cash out this year and next, half our on-field team will be top 5 picks with the additions of Larkey AA, Powell who is looking handy, Scott who in the right position is fairly damaging etc etc etc
The reasonable explanation is that we played 6 players under 20 on the weekend, plus a KPD pairing that hasn't played 20 games between them, much less 20 games together.

I don't think a coaching panel overseen by Todd Viney - who knows the damage caused by tanking - and compromising Clarkson, Adcock, Barlow etc are deliberately tossing games.

They're doing what they can with what they've got, noting that (a) it was difficult to impossible to replace McKay without diluting the compensation or otherwise spending draft capital and (b) no-one foresaw that one of our genuine A Graders would prove to be a complete dick.

where we are doesn't take a conspiracy theory to explain

They're doing what they can with what they've got, noting that (a) it was difficult to impossible to replace McKay without diluting the compensation or otherwise spending draft capital and (b) no-one foresaw that one of our genuine A Graders would prove to be a complete dick.
BTW surely this has to get looked at sometime, we made the right decision longterm but it hardly encourages teams to be competitive year in year out if you are penalised by replacing senior players that leave...

l cant see us going after Darcy as we have Xerri now who is improving and others who can play ruck now and in the future.
Not interested in McCrae but might be interested in Daniels..
Who are the others who can play in the ruck? Larkey..?

I wonder what established talent would be willing to join us that requires draft capital of that magnitude. We did very well convincing Logue to join us, and Fisher and Stevens too, but in each case, they were surplus to requirements at their previous club and it only took a pick in the 20s. To give up pick 2/3 you'd want a top 10 pick back along with an extremely good player.

Teams are going to be exceptionally keen to get up to the pointy end of this draft for the gun mids.

3 for say 8 + a high end player in a role we need type deal.

He requires so much work in terms of club resources at the Dees to just keep on the park though.

There's a STRONG view within the club that having had Tarryn eat up all those resources last year and Jason the year before has been detrimental to the development of others.

Tldr physically he's a perfect fit for us, but he's not in the right place mentally or health wise.
I get where you are coming from, his current and recent issues is probably why Melbourne would even consider moving him on for the right price, if he was right and rain they would never even consider moving him on given his impact on-field.

For moving him into North, we would need to take the lessons from Jason and Tarryn and develop a good environment for players to have that second chance. I am thinking something similar to Geelong and what they did for Stengal and what they are putting in front of Bailey Smith to move over there.

Clarry offers a lot on-field for us and would make us instantly more competitive, we could only hope that maybe the worst of his issues are behind him and moving out of the Demon's culture might be a fresh start.

You would be better at getting English than Darcy, as English is a free-agent and Darcy would command a huge trade unless the Dockers want to get him off their books.

Macrae would probably be an easier trade, we can only hope that Bevo and Co understand the benefit of fair value as he wouldn't command a first-round draft pick for a trade.

I get where you are coming from, his current and recent issues is probably why Melbourne would even consider moving him on for the right price, if he was right and rain they would never even consider moving him on given his impact on-field.

For moving him into North, we would need to take the lessons from Jason and Tarryn and develop a good environment for players to have that second chance. I am thinking something similar to Geelong and what they did for Stengal and what they are putting in front of Bailey Smith to move over there.

Clarry offers a lot on-field for us and would make us instantly more competitive, we could only hope that maybe the worst of his issues are behind him and moving out of the Demon's culture might be a fresh start.

What Geelong did for Stengle is the kind of stuff that's got Clarko at the AHRC.

We did EVERYTHING and more we could for Tarryn.

Jason would have ****ed off home on any club imo.

We need to invest in the talent we have, not pick up damaged goods from other clubs.

We can do that once we've built a strong successful culture. We need to do that first before taking on the likes of Oliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar to my mail from a month ago that $800k-$1.0m a season is a possibility for Zurhaar.

Either way, it's close enough to Band 1 compo that we can squeeze it out of the bidding side vs trade capital they would have to give up.

We are going to go through hell and back, but if we land Band 1 compo for McKay, Zuhaar and LDU in consecutive drafts, it HAS to be the path the club looks to take to drag us out of this.

We are not getting out of this by trading for more Polecs, Williams, Stephensons, Hartungs, Walkers, Stephens and Fishers of the league.

The Smillie + Trainor combo should be what the club is setting as the goal at the end of the year.
If the deal is just short of band one - we could do a deal to take a contacted player that is surplus to their needs and with this savings they could up the deal to get band 1.

IF we did get band 1 compo for Zurhaar and ended with say 2+3 again, I would be looking to trade or split one of those picks.

Preferably for esdtablished talent.

Esablished talent like whom exactly? We will be fleeced like GC were with Weller. We don't need to be splitting any top 3 picks to recruit mercenaries or journeyman.

But I'm sure teams will be lining up to cash in their aging players, Im sure Collingwood would love to send us Maynard and Sidebottom for Pick 2.

We are no doubt losing LDU, which means LDU and Thomas will be gone from the midfield build.

Phillips is faltering.

Amazingly, we are actually going to need another mid, particularly a big bodied one to replace LDU. So you may as well replace him with a 2nd year Smillie rather than a first year player.

Trainor is simply a no brainer with our current list needs.

Comben, W.Dawson, Trainor and Logue looks very good group to take us forward, with the LDU compo likely to come in what could be a super draft at the very top of the 2025 draft.

There's a scenario in which we accumulate 2 x top 4 picks in 4 consecutive drafts when starting at Sheezel/Wardlaw.

Last edited:
Esablished talent like whom exactly? We will be fleeced like GC were with Weller.

We are no doubt losing LDU, which means LDU and Thomas gone from the midfield build

Phillips faultering.

Amazingly, we are actually going to need another mid, particularly a big bodied one to replace LDU. So you may as well replace him with a 2nd year Smillie rather than a first year player.

Trainor is simply a no brainer with our current list needs.

Comben, W.Dawson, Trainor and Logue looks very good group to take us forward, with the LDU compo likely to come in what could be a super draft at the very top of the 2025 draft.

There's a scenario in which we accumulate 2 x top 4 picks in 4 consecutive drafts when starting at Sheezel/Wardlaw.
I don't think LDU is a certainty to leave yet is he......

I don't think LDU is a certainty to leave yet is he......

History suggest most players that put off contract talks leave, some re-sign, but it's in the minority.

The fact we might not win a game between now and the end of the year, will amplify this by 1000x.

There's been some smoke around LDU and St Kilda/Collingwood since the middle of last year, however the expectation was we'd start to make strides this year and players would be unlikely to leave a team with as much young talent as us moving in the right direction.

Players want team success, especially at the mid point of their careers.

I suggest the performance of the team at the moment has probably broken LDU, Zurhaar etc resolve (Partly their responsibilities mind you....)

Esablished talent like whom exactly? We will be fleeced like GC were with Weller. We don't need to be splitting any top 3 picks to recruit mercenaries or journeyman.

Viney and Clarko aren't bad old days GC.

As I said, teams will be DESPERATE to get up the pointy end of this draft, and we have enough mids

Beginning of the end stuff if LDU and Zurhaar leave. Add to that, bar a couple, the rest of our senior players are for the tip. How on earth are we going to improve? We wont even have 2nd round "assistance" picks coming our way.

We are getting to the stage where we will lose more AFL quality players than we gain. Just like what happened to GC, only there won't be the gold rolled assistance package coming our way.

One winless seasons isn't even the worst case scenario at this point.

God we need a ******* win, but going off the hawthorn loss in particular, the whole group is cooked.

Who are the others who can play in the ruck? Larkey..?
All that is needed is someone to help Xerri occassionally during a game. We recruited Goad ( who is still young) and is classed as a freak and will develop with time, Free (who is currently out due to concussion) CCJ (who is injured and while is not that good can help out if needed, Greenwood who is also able to help and has done well, as well as Comben . Xerri is our #1 ruckman and will be for awhile unless injured so l cant see us getting in another #1 ruckman and play 2 in the same side. Melbourne tried it with Gawn and Grundy and it didnt work. l would rather spend the money on an established key forward , backman or midfielder..

Forget any idea of trading, get him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back