List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t mind them paying (even if it’s slight overs) AFL proven quality to come here, but shit deals like CCJ and Stephens that had no runs on the board are what you find pisses people off.

Instead Rawlings is throwing good money to blokes that are playing VFL and not even help progress our list build.

It like the guy has a fetish for lucky dips, hoping he finds a prize in one.

We should be targeting players that have a track record of playing at the level not those on the fringe.

If we have to pay overs, so be it, but at least do it for someone that is going to come in and impact the AFL program by being best 22.
He does love a curbside collection.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We needed a player like CCJ at the time. It was probably the worst trade he made tho.

Stevens isn't the shit deal everyone makes out. He was poor last year but a decent player in a GF side the year before. We got him and pick 25 for 19 this year (one we'd all expected to we had to trade and will end up around 25 anyway) and pick 44 last year. Without trading for him we might not have Will Dawson.

While he looks like a weak gutless player now, he still could recapture the form he had in 2022, which was better than Bailey Scott's form at the same age (2021).
Not too concerned about the draft cost, more that he is contracted for another 3.5 years.

Lobb would be a key position version of Jared Polec.

Remember when we "needed" him because we needed outside run and polish?

To paraphrase the metal icon Ronan Keating, sometimes "you trade it best, when you trade for nothing at all".

To paraphrase the metal icon Ronan Keating, sometimes "you trade it best, when you trade for nothing at all".
Lobb will only be a 2 year deal maybe with a trigger for a third

And fills a structural need

Also close mates with logue and tucker which helps vouch for character

Polec was mates with noone

To paraphrase the metal icon Ronan Keating, sometimes "you trade it best, when you trade for nothing
'Lobb would be a key position version of Jared Polec'. Polec was recruited to the club on a 5 year deal, with a known foot injury. PA low balled him, knowing he had this injury. I'm not sure that Lobb is not playing because he can't get on the park because of an injury holding him back. Don't really understand the comparison tbh.

Lobb will only be a 2 year deal maybe with a trigger for a third

And fills a structural need

Also close mates with logue and tucker which helps vouch for character

Polec was mates with noone
Lobb also knows Corr from his days at the Giants. This is definitely an advantage that he knows some of his new teammates already.

Yes mate but you know what happens when Lobby meets The Snoz, he straight away thinks to himself..

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me wherever I fall..

We needed a player like CCJ at the time. It was probably the worst trade he made tho.

Stevens isn't the shit deal everyone makes out. He was poor last year but a decent player in a GF side the year before. We got him and pick 25 for 19 this year (one we'd all expected to we had to trade and will end up around 25 anyway) and pick 44 last year. Without trading for him we might not have Will Dawson.

While he looks like a weak gutless player now, he still could recapture the form he had in 2022, which was better than Bailey Scott's form at the same age (2021).
Stephen is a shit deal when you consider he has a 4 year contract on what is to be reported as decent money and right now no one can guarantee that he is going to make our team better.

At the moment he is bog average at VFL level.

So I don’t agree that it’s a good or decent deal.

Lately there has been too much lucky dip stuff hoping a fringe player at another club kicks on and becomes an important cog for us. In our state I would rather less gamble and more playing the odds and start bringing in proven talent that is at least going to improve the side that runs out on the weekend or keep going to the draft until it becomes available.

Yes we can afford the contract and as you pointed out the draft capital won’t kill us, but when you start piling up all the misses, shit contracts and busts, it really hurts a club that needs to be making the right calls more often than not.

At the moment the strike rate is shithouse for players being brought into the club.

At the moment the best analogy I can use is that we are a weekend punter ignoring the short priced favourites, hoping to get lucky on something with longer odds. When we should be the pro gambler taking the overall win% over bigger returns.

You might not get the massive win or diamond in the rough, but right now we need to be constantly racking up small wins to progress us forward.

Someone mentioned Blake Hardwick. Those are the types of targets we should be doing our work on. Proven at AFL level and if you need to pay a bit more, then so be it.

Last edited:
The mid mentioned is Ollie Wines, says North is interested, link with Todd Viney.
Expect North to have a dip at Josh Battle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen is a shit deal when you consider he has a 4 year contract on what is to be reported as decent money and right now no one can guarantee that he is going to make our team better.

No one can guarantee any player will make the side better.

At the moment he is bog average at VFL level.

So I don’t agree that it’s a good or decent deal.

You're allowed to do that but that deal with Stephens also netted us Fisher and Wil Dawson who do make us a better side. If he plays the way he did this week in the VFL he'll be back in the side soon enough anyway.

Lately there has been too much lucky dip stuff hoping a fringe player at another club kicks on and becomes an important cog for us. In our state I would rather less gamble and more playing the odds and start bringing in proven talent that is at least going to improve the side that runs out on the weekend or keep going to the draft until it becomes available.

Can you list these players and tell me how you're going to get proven players to the club?

Yes we can afford the contract and as you pointed out the draft capital won’t kill us, but when you start piling up all the misses, shit contracts and busts, it really hurts a club that needs to be making the right calls more often than not.

At the moment the strike rate is shithouse for players being brought into the club.

The draft capital won't kill us? Jesus. If having Stephens on the list is the price for getting Wil Dawson and Zac Fisher then he's worth having on the list for that alone.

Why don't you pile up all these busts, misses and shit contracts and we can assess how many of them actually are that bad and how many are you looking for something to be negative about.

The mid mentioned is Ollie Wines, says North is interested, link with Todd Viney.
Expect North to have a dip at Josh Battle.

If there is any truth to NM looking at Ollie Wines, it might be that pick 1 won't be used on another young midfielder. Purely speculation, and I concede this could be wrong, and happy to admit I was wrong, if it turns out different. Wines, and trading pick 1 and our 2nd round for all of their 3 picks around the 10 to 14 mark or pick 1 to the GC for the 2 top 10 picks and their 2nd round, may help the club land a few kids like Kako, possibly Trainor, etc.

If there is any truth to NM looking at Ollie Wines, it might be that pick 1 won't be used on another young midfielder. Purely speculation, and I concede this could be wrong, and happy to admit I was wrong, if it turns out different. Wines, and trading pick 1 and our 2nd round for all of their 3 picks around the 10 to 14 mark or pick 1 to the GC for the 2 top 10 picks and their 2nd round, may help the club land a few kids like Kako, possibly Trainor, etc.
Wines only has maybe 2-3 years in him

Doubt that affects pick 1 decisions

Doubt pick 1 is even in any consideration or conversation re Wines and has any influence on whom we draft. He has 3 years left max and our TPP would be that low we possibly wouldn’t even care if we got 2 good years out of him and he sat in the reserves for the third.

Wines only has maybe 2-3 years in him

Doubt that affects pick 1 decisions
No I know that Pick 1 doesn't come into the trade for Wines. I was meaning that if NM added a seasoned midfielder such as Wines, the thinking might be to not recruit a young midfielder with pick 1. Split pick 1 for multiple 1st round picks to fill in other holes on the list, such as a small forward and a utility such as Trainor. Again ..... its purely speculation, so not to be relied on in anyway.

No one can guarantee any player will make the side better.

You're allowed to do that but that deal with Stephens also netted us Fisher and Wil Dawson who do make us a better side. If he plays the way he did this week in the VFL he'll be back in the side soon enough anyway.

Can you list these players and tell me how you're going to get proven players to the club?

The draft capital won't kill us? Jesus. If having Stephens on the list is the price for getting Wil Dawson and Zac Fisher then he's worth having on the list for that alone.

Why don't you pile up all these busts, misses and shit contracts and we can assess how many of them actually are that bad and how many are you looking for something to be negative about.
Turn it up Ferbs, I know you love Rawling but this is over the top.

Turn it up Ferbs, I know you love Rawling but this is over the top.

I understand nuance. I understand that there can often be a complicated decision making structure in any large organisation. And we have had some bad luck.

But this list is just horrific. For balance, for talent, for depth, for output, for grit and it's only passable for future potential, relative to recent draft position.

The end.

Has Nat Fyfe been added to list of burnt out old big bodied midfielders we should be after for leadership etc etc ? looks completely cooked as well.
Fyfe hasn't said he wants to leave. On the other hand ... maybe NM could just go back to the draft next season, don't use trade or FA's to add players and hope all our current problems have gone away. The draft is the only answer. Jeepers.

I don't particularly love him I'm just over stupid the pitchfork mob/witchhunt mentality people have. Its stupid.
5 offseasons to contribute to lIst shape and demographics.

Think you could make a reasonable case that he and the Clayton's recruiter haven't shot the lights out.

And that's will draft hands that Stibbard would've killed for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back