Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Very impressive from the young man today - gave us pace, class and x factor across half forward - seeing sure ball handling skills is not something we get to witness much at North - in Jy we now have some.
time stands still for this kid like Professor X

I've started calling him the Professor

Katamitite West's postcode, with "Katamatite for life" undermeath it.

A bit of pressure on Sammy Wright to follow suit now.

As for Jy, he looked so composed with the pill yesterday. I lost count of how many times I must've said "there's the future" as he did something others cannot.

As for Jy, he looked so composed with the pill yesterday. I lost count of how many times I must've said "there's the future" as he did something others cannot.

BINGO!

None of these clips are dedicated to Jy, but I ask punters to watch his touch, vision, evasiveness and poise as he contributes to these 3 goals.

BINGO!

None of these clips are dedicated to Jy, but I ask punters to watch his touch, vision, evasiveness and poise as he contributes to these 3 goals.

Awareness is a beautiful thing. He is one step in front of his opponents on the majority of occasions.

The best thing is he has the step that allows him to turn people inside out.

All of this off the back of NO pre season and nearly 12 months out of footy.

Wait until he has a big pre-season and builds up that upper body and people won't be able to tackle him.

I defy anyone to show me a quicker and better pick up and hand off than the one in the Higgins goal.

We are talking milliseconds execution.
Bulldog supporters say their boys......but unfortunately for them, they're throws *chuckle*

Simpkin was great yesterday he is a real talent. Was so excited when we got him in the draft last year.

My knowledge of the draft was very good and was super happy when he got to us. He is my favorite player and something for all North fans to get excited about in the coming games seeing how he develops and how he plays.

GO JY! great lad!

Not that he hasn't already but he's going to make a hell of a lot of AFL defenders look incredibly stupid over a long career.

What is exciting is that the coaches appear to see it as well. In the age of NM coaching staff making guys like Wright and Jacobs and Hansen etc come back through extended stints in the VFL, Simpkin was one game in the VFL off a shoulder operation before being brought straight back in.

Interesting times ahead. I wonder what his ceiling looks like. He almost has the lateral movement of a C Rioli.

I don't think we'll be accurately able to call it for a few years but he has the same type of nimble feet. I can't wait to see him with three pre-seasons, proper musculature in his legs, and AFL-type development. He could be anything in the F50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back