Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes coming on pretty quickly in all seriousness. Last 2 games has had significant impact on the games. Excited for what he brings to us later on in the year - teams will start being concerned about him very soon

Agree he needs plenty of continuity.

Just get more games into him.

The raw ability really needs to be nurtured and built on like those hands at ground level holding the ball outstretched when he did that spin. I have never seen a guy with that size do that.

I like him in the middle even wing and up forward apart from ruck. His kick along the wing 60 metre was telling breaking the line to Baker early on but that was just a entree. What raised my eyebrows was when he exploded forward in the middle ended up shooting a handball forward which hit the target. It seems obvious to me that is something most defences have never seen because what needs to be taken into account is his size and power when going forward like that which has to put defences on edge. Apart from that his aerial threats with his marking was great and he really present a problem for opposing rucks because he is so unique in his action and way of movement I am sure many are not sure how to counteract him in what he does at times. Its a bit like a batsman not sure what is coming from a slingshot bowler. The other thing was that mark in the forward line against Sicliy that resulted in a goal, as the commentators said, Sicily simply did not anticipate he would go for the mark as his athleticism is so unexpectedly special to accomplish such a feat.

He is the sort of guy as he gets more development and experience on the field oppositions teams start to worry about him especially with his presence which helps take the load of the likes of Cotch, Dusty and the other forwards. His tackling was good to. I think with his size and power he can wear down the opposition players to with his defensive pressure

Last edited:

It does seem that those big blokes or Key position players need real game time exp for when they’re a kick and a half/ two kicks away from the ball to get to a position that can create opportunity or be in the best def position.
He doesn’t have to think when he’s on the ball and as a Ruck is not more than a kick away from the action.

How good is it to have Reiwoldt and Rance watching him and probably giving hom tips.
It’s sh.tty having injuries but you can use the hard times to get ready for the good times, and the good times are comin, baby!!

Just take a minute and think about this

You are a defender and Balta has grabbed the ball and running flat out towards you and you are the only player between Balta and the ball

and you have to somehow tackle this freight train coming towards you o_Oo_O
Not a problem...maggotts will look after you!

When Dimma was asked where he sees Balta playing his best footy in the next 5 years, he replied "Probably under another coach" :(

I hope that doesn't mean Balta is gonna leave :(

Could see the cashed up Dogs going hard...
Would say Balta playing under Mrs Hardwick

Just needs a bit more campaigner he could be the lance franklin we have been searching for since we missed the one hiding behind Tambling. He is probably the scariest looking thing physics wise since Franklin - not the thing you want hurtling towards you at 20kmph.

Very rare to find a guy of that weight and size who can move so quickly, think he would be wasted as a defender the way the modern game is played. Let him roam the field and play forward will
Be way more damaging.

If they're looking to develop him as a defender, it probably means they think he's too 'football dumb' to make it as a forward long term. Athleticism will make you an OK forward, but you need to be elite at reading the play and timing/preparing your moves to really make it to the top rank.

In defense, you can let your opponent do the thinking and just stick with them and use your athleticism to beat him once the ball comes in (and cut them up on the rebound).
Only thing is that I think it would be detrimental to the team and his confidence if he cannot read the movements of the play and his opposing KPF well in defence. While he is still finding his feet at AFL level, I would steer him clear of our defence from what I saw of him there. We might be able to look at playing him as a defender in a few year’s time when he’s more tenured, but not now.

Balta was the player i wanted the most from the draft

#15 - Traded it out (sh!t) hope he last until #17
#17 - Jack Higgins (oh well we have #20 and only 2 picks fingers crossed)
#20 - Coleman - Jones (love CCJ but thought clearly our recruiters dont rate him he will be gone)
#21 .............
#22 .............
#23 .............
#24 ............. (please god let us take him)
#25 - NOAH BALTA ( Farq Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh )

Kids going to become a beast of a player i have no doubt and playing a full year and another pre season he will be going flat out for 90% Game Time and good luck trying to tag him he punishes the opposition players by ramming them Townsend Style

View attachment 677113
Me also. Bit of gambling there, or the recruiters knew who the other clubs were going to take at 21-24.

"Some sports video games allow the user to build a player from scratch using customisable dimensions. It’s the type of feature which tempts those with the joystick to create physical freaks.
Noah Balta is the type of athlete you’d create if given carte blanche. Listed at 194 centimetres and 100 kilograms, Balta moves like a man 20 centimetres shorter and 20 kilograms lighter. He is a phenomenal athlete, and fast becoming a very good footballer."

Balta was the player i wanted the most from the draft

#15 - Traded it out (sh!t) hope he last until #17
#17 - Jack Higgins (oh well we have #20 and only 2 picks fingers crossed)
#20 - Coleman - Jones (love CCJ but thought clearly our recruiters dont rate him he will be gone)
#21 .............
#22 .............
#23 .............
#24 ............. (please god let us take him)
#25 - NOAH BALTA ( Farq Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh )

Kids going to become a beast of a player i have no doubt and playing a full year and another pre season he will be going flat out for 90% Game Time and good luck trying to tag him he punishes the opposition players by ramming them Townsend Style

View attachment 677113

:cool:

"Some sports video games allow the user to build a player from scratch using customisable dimensions. It’s the type of feature which tempts those with the joystick to create physical freaks.
Noah Balta is the type of athlete you’d create if given carte blanche. Listed at 194 centimetres and 100 kilograms, Balta moves like a man 20 centimetres shorter and 20 kilograms lighter. He is a phenomenal athlete, and fast becoming a very good footballer."

He is like the white Antetokounmpo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will we have room in the Salary Cap to keep him going forward? God I hope so.

Ellis needs to go to open up some cap space.

Grigg retirement should help.

Lynch is on relatively small money for two more season after this iirc

Some fringe players like; Short, Moore, Markov, Bolton will be traded or delisted probable too

Yeah, the good players should all be in the forward line or midfield, unlike spuds like Rance, Vlastuin, Houli, Grimes, and the like.

A tall, fast guy sprinting out from the back 50 and then roosting it 60-70m Yeah, you're right, that'd be a terrible waste.
pretty much

we just need to keep playing him. the improvement from his 1st game to yesterday's has been terrific and plenty more to go. the coaches seem to have told him to use his pace, because when he gets the ball in space, he just unleashes.

Just take a minute and think about this

You are a defender and Balta has grabbed the ball and running flat out towards you and you are the only player between Balta and the ball

and you have to somehow tackle this freight train coming towards you o_Oo_O

In Rugby League they use the player's own momentum to bring em down, it's the safest way for Newton's 3rd law to have an effect on his 1st and 2nd laws. F = ma:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back