Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs another 2 pre-seasons to build his strength and tank, before there's any suggestion of him playing AFL footy.

Playing against experienced rucks like Pittonet, Campbell and Ladhams is good for education though.

The old adage of big men take time applies here. Can't properly judge whether Taylor will make it until 2026.

Needs another 2 pre-seasons to build his strength and tank, before there's any suggestion of him playing AFL footy.

Playing against experienced rucks like Pittonet, Campbell and Ladhams is good for education though.

The old adage of big men take time applies here. Can't properly judge whether Taylor will make it until 2026.
Absolutely agree…until then it’s a learning curve for the young big man..

Not Jacob Edwards but not far off
Well for one Jacob Edwards stood out immediately as someone who would not work hard enough once he stepped into the club. Enough stories are public knowledge on here without going any further than that.

Goady has been the complete opposite since coming into the club. Think he’s actually shown quite a bit more than Edwards did in his two years at VFL in about 6? Games already.

What a f*cking stupid comparison to make from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

He's not physically strong enough to play VFL yet but that doesn't mean he won't be good.

Someone like Goad should have the opportunity to play U-19s in the Amateurs or equivalent until they're strong enough. Don't think it's doing his confidence any good. Obviously the US have a college system - Goad types would benefit from playing against their age group for a few more years.

Easy in hindsight, but after watching him in the VFL this year, no way known I would have used a first rounder on him. Who could seriously project what he’s going to become? He’s starting from a very low base.

Boom or bust selection, I would have played it safer with a first round pick.

Easy in hindsight, but after watching him in the VFL this year, no way known I would have used a first rounder on him. Who could seriously project what he’s going to become? He’s starting from a very low base.

Boom or bust selection, I would have played it safer with a first round pick.
I got grilled for this.

When he got recruited I simply said Rawlings and the recruitment team should not have said he was a project type. No issue that we drafted him, just don’t have the audacity to tell us it’s project. It implies to north fans we spent a first rounder on a speculative pick. After our run we didn’t need to hear that, we needed confidence in our picks especially from a first rounder.

Oh boy did I cop it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not physically strong enough to play VFL yet but that doesn't mean he won't be good.

Someone like Goad should have the opportunity to play U-19s in the Amateurs or equivalent until they're strong enough. Don't think it's doing his confidence any good. Obviously the US have a college system - Goad types would benefit from playing against their age group for a few more years.
A university league would certainly make the drafting of players at 21-22 more of a certainty and help even out the league. Horse has bolted on this path though.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A university league would certainly make the drafting of players at 21-22 more of a certainty and help even out the league. Horse has bolted on this path though.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It has - and because of that think it's incumbent on the AFL to be looking at ways to allow 18-19 year old ruckmen to develop outside the VFL/AFL if required. Would prefer Goad to be playing U-19 Amateurs and mainly focusing on a strength program than playing VFL where he's outmuscled through no fault of his own. Don't see any point in him trying to compete with 105kg Tom Campbell types. Can only knock his confidence.

Last edited:
It has - and because of that think it's incumbent on the AFL to be looking at ways to allow 18-19 year old ruckmen to develop outside the VFL/AFL if required. Would prefer Goad to be playing U-19 Amateurs and buy mainly focusing on a strength program than playing VFL where he's outmuscled through no fault of his own. I don't see any use on him trying to compete with 105kg Tom Campbell types. Can only knock his confidence.
Thats a really good idea. Wont happen

I think playing VFL is fine, I mean he has to train and ruck against Xerri all week, I’m sure the VFL is no better/worse then that in terms of being bashed around

Thought his hand in close were pretty good on the weekend. Looked a lot more competitive as well. He is not comfortable at the level and has a long way to develop physically but Edwards wasn'y looking as gifted in the contest in year 3.

Patience.
He's improved plenty already this season, albeit from a super low base. First game i saw him he looked at sea at center bounces, he's already competing 300% better than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back