Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 20 is a second rounder and always will be.

Just because the AFL change the name. The fact is with 18 teams the 19th pick is a second rounder.

It's like when you're at school at you're told to count to ten. And get in trouble for not counting to 12.
lol reminds me of me trying to wrap my head around coding where the first character in a string is zero. Which makes the 10th the 9th. Damn you coding! Damn you to hell.

I'm not worried at all. Big men take time etc. I do remember hearing rumours of us going earlier because Adelaide were going to pick him with their next pick.

That sort of worries me because the last time that happened we were tricked into picking Lazzaro and Will Walker earlier.

But it also resulted in us picking up Ben Brown earlier than expected and that worked out well.

We needed big men, one was available. Got no issue with that. Historically there are generally older 2nd banana ruckmen round though such as soup campbel. So on balance i reckon a quality tound ruxkman developing in the magoos, an older break glass ruckman that dont mind playing magoos but is decent enough to fill in seniors. And your premiium ruck.

Dunno where free fits in this model??

Just on that. The two other rucks who were going to be considered around those picks were Will Green and Mitch Edwards. Edwards hasn’t got out on the park yet due to a back injury and Green is having the exact same struggles that Goad is having at VFL level.
When 18 year old rucks are averaging between 5 and 7 hit outs a game, how're they developing their ruck craft? Not concerned they'll get hurt/bashed up in the VFL, just that they'd be better off playing U-19s somewhere until they're not giving away 30kg in ruck duels.

When 18 year old rucks are averaging between 5 and 7 hit outs a game, how're they developing their ruck craft? Not concerned they'll get hurt/bashed up in the VFL, just that they'd be better off playing U-19s somewhere until they're not giving away 30kg in ruck duels.

I’m not against it…it’s a shame there is no VFL development league.Now Hawthorn ruck Lloyd Meek spent plenty of time in the WAFL reserves while he was on Freo’s list. That was in his early days and he is flourishing now.

Spend the first 2 years developing technique at training and hitting the gym hardcore. The on field stuff you still want to see effort, but mainly a chance to practice technique without massive expectation on results.

I'm not worried at all. Big men take time etc. I do remember hearing rumours of us going earlier because Adelaide were going to pick him with their next pick.

That sort of worries me because the last time that happened we were tricked into picking Lazzaro and Will Walker earlier.

But it also resulted in us picking up Ben Brown earlier than expected and that worked out well.
The Crows were absolutely looking dejected in the draft room when we took him before them.
Took them a decent amount of time to figure out what they were going to do with the next pick that's for sure.
No doubt in my mind that they were expecting to take Goad.

The Crows were absolutely looking dejected in the draft room when we took him before them.
Took them a decent amount of time to figure out what they were going to do with the next pick that's for sure.
No doubt in my mind that they were expecting to take Goad.
That doesn’t make it the right decision tho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies - I'm a dinosaur regarding technology and also apologies if this has been previously posted but i was recently listening to an SEN podcast - Sam Edmund's - This is your sporting life when he interviewed Noel Judkin, the former Essendon & Collingwood recruiter.

He was interviewed just after last years draft and Sam commented about the kids coming through and how they were so much bigger and faster than in the past. Judkins spoke about 3 of the the boys drafted were over 204 cms but yet so athletic then spoke specifically about Goad and he marvelled at his athletic profile and said his marking and kicking skills were good/okay but acknowledged that in his footy nous he was behind but thought he'd pick that up pretty quickly (around 6:10 on).

He's raw but in looking at his attributes - i think he's a great pick but knowing that he's a work in progress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back