AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Cops a week for tackle on Zac Fisher - 20/5

Remove this Banner Ad

has been since they gave him the role.

still boggles the mind that they think that's a good idea. one person, decided everything for the league? why even have someone do it if the decisions are going to be arbitrary

totally will be unbiased.

totally.

what a ******* joke.
We'll it's worked, hasn't it?

Everyone is always saying "what a ****ing idiot that Michael Christian is" and not "this whole league is corrupt to shit and we're all being conned."

The all is ****ed. Christian is a total dickhead
How does butters get nothing for that and redman gets a week for something much much softer of the ball
There was no malice and no sling in the tackle
Different rules different jumpers
Funny how Collingwood seen to go ok in there

It’s a potentially career threatening 1 week ban (at least in the short term). If Caddy plays, has 10 touches, 3-4 marks (contested) and kicks 1-2 goals I doubt Jones will be back in the side over the next month.

I’d imagine Jones would be keen to challenge the ban or at least I think it’s in his best interest.

Just on Christian, how did Parker’s hit get rated careless when he deliberately lined up the player off the ball? If it wasn’t referred to the tribunal, Parker would’ve got 4 weeks, the same as Wright who was eyes on the ball attempting to mark a kick directed to him.

Parker’s hit caused facial fractures on top of a concussion ffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s hard to be impartial but looking at the tackle 10 or so times, a 1 week ban seems OTT. If similar incidents have received a ban then sure, give him a week but soon you won’t be able to spoil the ball in a marking contest using a fist.

Just on Christian, how did Parker’s hit get rated careless when he deliberately lined up the player off the ball? If it wasn’t referred to the tribunal, Parker would’ve got 4 weeks, the same as Wright who was eyes on the ball attempting to mark a kick directed to him.

Parker’s hit caused facial fractures on top of a concussion ffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Christian doesn't do the VFL.

I just assume the directive with this stuff is to generate controversy/interest in the game.

Umpires and the MRP have been making wrong and contradictory decisions for at least 20 years. Far too often for it to be down to individuals just forgetting about the rules and precedents they've set with other decisions previously. That just defies common sense.

And as much as it feels like Essendon get the rough end with both departments, I don't think the AFL would run an actual conspiracy against clubs, given it equates to match fixing.

It just has to be an off the record directive to make sure people are tuning in and talking. And they succeed in this with stupid decisions like this one that make absolutely no sense. We're all talking about it and will still watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought at the time it looked rough and he was lucky not to get penalised, considering the change in rules, but every replay I've seen his head doesnt touch the turf. It's a strong tackle. End.
At the time it was holding the ball - but the fkwit umpire didn't pay it!
Now for him to be rubbed out for it is absolutely farcical.
This is bullshit!

I just assume the directive with this stuff is to generate controversy/interest in the game.

Umpires and the MRP have been making wrong and contradictory decisions for at least 20 years. Far too often for it to be down to individuals just forgetting about the rules and precedents they've set with other decisions previously. That just defies common sense.

And as much as it feels like Essendon get the rough end with both departments, I don't think the AFL would run an actual conspiracy against clubs, given it equates to match fixing.

It just has to be an off the record directive to make sure people are tuning in and talking. And they succeed in this with stupid decisions like this one that make absolutely no sense. We're all talking about it and will still watch.

Interesting point, never really thought of it like that but I wouldn't put it past the the AFL to be honest. Look at their shameless ingraining of sport gambling on just about any snippet of media they produce.

Personally I think it's a Michael Christian thing with us though.

It's a real shame Harry will miss a huge marquee match and I can't help feeling a certain bit of damage gets done to a players confidence when stuff like this happens.

So Jones gets a week for a good tackle where there was no head hitting the ground, no concussion test or anything. Terri legitimately punches someone in the guts and doesn't get cited?

Please tell me how Michael Christian doesn't let the fact he hates Essendon get in the way of his job?

The AFL aren't averse to match fixing though. Judd's Brownlow was match fixing. Melbourne not tanking tanking and Tony Liberatore's comments being ignored was match fixing. Star players with mysterious "injuries" and troublemakers with drug penalties is match fixing...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back