Player Watch #24 - Sam Naismith

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if we'll ever get Kaleb Smith, Ralphsmith and Naismith all involved in the same passage of play ...
I faaarken hope not

Hopefully that pommie commentator in the VFL calls it

Reckon Cray could give us 20-30 games of real grit…Like Tom Hickey, at his 4th club…End of career bonus, at no cost…

You've got a good one in Cray. He's a bit one dimensional (I don't know about these people describing him as athletic and quick) but he's full of passion and loyalty and personality and good to have around. He's also one of the best tap ruckmen playing the game anywhere at any level. We didn't hang on to him for so long (too long IMO) for nothing. The big asterisk is if he stays injury free. He's not quite as physical as Nank (but not too far off) and he doesn't have the same footy smarts and skills but if you want someone to win the tap, I'd back Cray in. He'll be ready to play and succeed at AFL level whenever you need him unlike some less mature and seasoned options.

Isn't wining the tap the most important thing for a ruckman? Being useful around the ground helps too, but if they are 205cm and lose the tap most of the time they are a pretty crappy ruckman.
It's about tapping to advantage, not just tapping... hardly any ruckmen can do taps to advantage regularly. The amount of times you see low-class ruckmen tap it directly to the advantage of the oppo or to an obviously disadvantageous situation (e.g. an easy tackle/ball-up situation), is enormous... how good is Naismith in this area?

Play him deep forward and isolate him one on one ….. at 206 cm the defenders will have no choice but to chop his arms to stop him marking the ball ……lots of free kicks deep in the forward line is always good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play him deep forward and isolate him one on one ….. at 206 cm the defenders will have no choice but to chop his arms to stop him marking the ball ……lots of free kicks deep in the forward line is always good
Kicked 3 goals in 30 games averages 1 free for 2 against , the for would get worse with us and the against would increase

Smith to Smith to Smith.
2181892-dr_smith.jpg

free kicks ?? he plays for richmond

Tragedy, loss and heartbreak: New Tigers ruck forged in fire​

Sam Naismith has been through more devastation - on and off the field - than anyone should. He tells Josh Gabelich about his journey back to the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back