AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer sounded pretty keen to stay at Essendon. Was nice to hear. As a fan I love watching Stringer in full flight and he's always been a high impact player that can do incredible things on field.

I'm not sure what the exact deal will be - i'd guess like 3 years at 600 or 4 years at 550 somewhere around that sort of range.

Honestly if we improve a bit as a team and Stringer keeps up his improved work ethic the next 3 years could be the best 3 of his career. So there probably is some upside there. You wouldn't keep him at all costs but I reckon there's a point where both parties can work it out and walk away pretty content without too much hassle.

It goes without saying but Parish is still the priority signing.

500..550..600..650..we’re talking about 150k or so a year here or there.

3 or 4 years ...so what if it’s 4 years he wants ..give it to him and get the deal done so he get on with his game.

That imbecile Cornes crapping on about 7 kilos overweight last year saying Stringer can’t be trusted to be a professional athlete is nonsense.

This year and the next 4 after it’s almost guaranteed Stringer will bust his gut to be the best player he thinks he could be..and do it consistently.

Plenty of talented ferals see the light at 25 years old and realise a career is half done and start getting deadly serious about their game. Dane Swan a good example.

Hes going to be asking or hoping for 700 or so and it’s up to him to decide if he wants start all over again somewhere else when Dodo says no.

The offer will be 100 or 150k a year less than he’s dreaming of because as talented as he is ..he’s replaceable as a mid/forward.

Someone like Ridley can’t be replaced very easily and will deserve his 850k long term contract in time.

in couple of years young kids likeDraper, Cox Perkins and Jones will be a priority to lock in on good coin because we sure as hell couldn’t stomach watching them leave to go to another club ..but Jake going at this stage is not going to hurt us massively

But in saying that ..haven’t we supposedly got loads of cap space to spend this year? I don’t know how it works but Stringer is worth more than the above average talented mid/forward but he’s not irreplaceable.

We all want him to stay of course.

Just find a happy medium for him and the club and everyone else so we can move forward as we build on something very special going on with this squad.

Last edited:

The good teams have a player with X-factor, as much as I hate that saying / word and Jake is ours. A player capable of ripping a game open at any given moment. Richmond have it with Martin and growing in stature if he isn't already but Bolton. Although his output has been reduced as of recent but Geelong have it with Dangerfield. The Dogs have it with Bont. Collingwood have it De Goey. There are a few others league wide on their respective teams but, we haven't had a player like Jake in a very very long time. If his reported current deal sees him on $500k a year then on his output I think he's probably sitting around max $600-650k a year, anything more then that would be hard to bargain. In saying that, can't let him go. He's way to important from a structure standpoint forward and again, he's just a player that can rip a game open at any given moment.

I’m a fan of Greene (as a footballer, excluding some of the dodgy stuff he’s done on field) so these stats surprised me

View attachment 1161987

Goal kicking, score involving, highly skilled forwards with A grade kicking consistency who mark strongly in contests and also win their own ground ball with aggression and intensity.

Rare types.

Last edited:
See his interview? I want to stay, I see my future here...
But I have 3 kids to feed, I'll leave it all up to my manager I'll let my footy do the talking.

sounds like a bit of brinkmanship but he wants it done

That's quite a copout from Jakey, bringing his family into it. Not like he is on sub 100k

In 2004 NBA player Latrell Sprewell turned down a $21.4m contract because "it wasn't enough to feed his family"
He never played again and went bankrupt

That's quite a copout from Jakey, bringing his family into it. Not like he is on sub 100k

In 2004 NBA player Latrell Sprewell turned down a $21.4m contract because "it wasn't enough to feed his family"

Remembering that Jakey isn’t exactly the most sharpest tool in the shed and was put on the spot by media knobs as he walked into training.

His response was at least honest and straight forward.

I don't have an issue with it, he needs a last pay day to set himself up (doseht look like a post footy media guy or coach) and he probably has never really had the big pay day that his talent should have garnered by now.

Guess it's good for both parties, he has motivation to keep fit and perform, we get an engaged player.

He’s just turned 27

he’s got a least 5 years of footy in him as long as his legs are good and keeps at a good weight

He’s the Stevie J of our side with an added bonus of starting in the guts at centre bounces.

Give him a 4 year contract and watch him settle in to focus on playing good footy for us.

A 2 year contract (as reported in that Stringer tv story) is not as inviting for a 27 yo…not like he’s a fringe player. Can understand him chasing more years. Don’t think his earning capacity post football going to be that great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jake didn't say feed - he said take care of.

There's a big difference. "Feed" is ridiculous because 2 min noodles are both very cheap and incredibly nourishing.

"Take care of" can include send to uni, pay for their weddings, give them a deposit for a house and leave them money in his will.

Jake didn't say feed - he said take care of.

There's a big difference. "Feed" is ridiculous because 2 min noodles are both very cheap and incredibly nourishing.

"Take care of" can include send to uni, pay for their weddings, give them a deposit for a house and leave them money in his will.
2 min noodles are incredibly nourishing?

Say what now?

This may be good news for us. Cripps apparently has accepted less than $800k a year. Not saying Jake would get that but a good reference point as Cripps is still regarded as one of best mids in the league.

V. Hawks - 29 touches, 4 goals, 10 I50s
V. Dees - 24 touches, 1 goal, 7 I50s
V. Cats - 25 touches, 3 goals, 8 I50s

Probably some other stats I could have picked out, but that is dynamite over the past 3 weeks. That is a ridiculous baseline to start expecting every week, but it shows what we've known he's capable of and the player that we've wanted him to become for so long.

Looks like Truck and co. have finally worked out how to get the best of him and I'm excited to see where it goes from here!

V. Hawks - 29 touches, 4 goals, 10 I50s
V. Dees - 24 touches, 1 goal, 7 I50s
V. Cats - 25 touches, 3 goals, 8 I50s

Probably some other stats I could have picked out, but that is dynamite over the past 3 weeks. That is a ridiculous baseline to start expecting every week, but it shows what we've known he's capable of and the player that we've wanted him to become for so long.

Looks like Truck and co. have finally worked out how to get the best of him and I'm excited to see where it goes from here!

7 tackles, 6 clearances, 18 CPs
5 tackles, 5 clearances, 7 CPs
5 tackles, 8 clearances, 12 CPs

He's not just cheating and getting forward of the ball, he's actually working hard.

As good as he does play at times, he needs to lower his eyes more. Blasting the ball as far as he can doesn’t help anyone, especially when he’s constantly burning players. Wasting burst possessions from centre bounces crucifies you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back