Delisted #28: Ned Cahill - Not offered a new contract, thanks Ned! - 13/8

Remove this Banner Ad

If injuries and form of others creates an opportunity, I wouldn't mind him being given a few games. Need to see if he can cut it or not and this is the year to try and work that out. There isn't a spot for him as a small forward though so he is going to have to find some other niche.

Since when is it a prerequisite for small forwards to have pace?

Seems like an odd reasoning.

I thought he actually looked super clever last year
They seem to need a point of difference to be effective. If his best work is in the fourth quarter when his direct opponent is exhausted then that's kind of too late really, most often the game is iced by then.

There would be no better time than now to give him a run in the middle at AFL level IMO. Who knows, might just work.

We need to find out if he can make the grade. From what I have seen at AFL level he seems too slow but that might be just picking up the pace of the game. I haven't watched much of him in VFL, so can't really judge.

Needs to get a few weeks in AFL to see.

Since when is it a prerequisite for small forwards to have pace?

Seems like an odd reasoning.

I thought he actually looked super clever last year
They need to the ability to burst and get seperation.

Watch his games from last season when he played forward ......his opponent is always right on his hammer so he has no time or space to do anything.

I think he will be a decent midfielder. Decent tank and pretty smart around the footy and his skills are okay. Also very solid / chunky for a little bloke .The conundrum is we do not anymore spots for short midfielders.

Thought he was really good after watching the replay of yesterday. Worked hard at both ends.

Last edited:
I think he will be a decent midfielder. Decent tank and pretty smart around the footy and his skills are okay. Also very solid / chunky for a little bloke .The conundrum is we do not anymore spots for short midfielders.
Yeah its hard for a spot to open when Merrett, parish and mcgrath are so durable (*touch wood). I can see him playing that kane lambert role, so he's really competing with snelling for that spot. He's a good footballer and a few have stamped his cards already, nothing better when players are producing at vfl level but cant get in. It's what makes a list strong.

Yeah its hard for a spot to open when Merrett, parish and mcgrath are so durable (*touch wood). I can see him playing that kane lambert role, so he's really competing with snelling for that spot. He's a good footballer and a few have stamped his cards already, nothing better when players are producing at vfl level but cant get in. It's what makes a list strong.
Snelling is a good comparison :thumbsu: I think Ned may actually be a bit more creative. Will have to lift his defensive efforts although he does work hard at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just needs to add more size, just get in the gym with snell. Ned did lay a ripping tackle yesterday though and then converted the set shot.

he is starting to get pretty solid through the trunk.

Influential as a mid-forward
Ned Cahill
Stats: 24 disposals, one goal, four marks, six tackles

“Ned’s been playing a different role for us the last few weeks as a midfielder-forward and again he was influential in the game. He had a lot of the ball, he won his clearances as well, but the most pleasing part was his defensive pressure, [it] was really good. He chased down a tackle which resulted in him getting a goal. His defensive pressure is something he’s been working on so it was good to see that come out in the game.”

After plenty of midfield minutes before lockdown, Ned finally returns.

Looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the team and the role Truck is likely to give him.

Go well today young man. Hope he does well
Unfortunately we found this out in his early games this year. He is nowhere near being physically ready to play AFL. Is non existent in any contested situation, and hes slow.

Unfortunately we found this out in his early games this year. He is nowhere near being physically ready to play AFL. Is non existent in any contested situation, and hes slow.

Yep, after that first half, it’s worrying how he makes it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s got similar physical attributes to Snelling but Snelling was a dominant state league mid. I expect Cahill will have to get to that level of performance to hold his spot on our list.

Yep, after that first half, it’s worrying how he makes it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I don’t see what some do in him (other than a few footy smarts up forward in his first two games), kids need time.

Personally don’t think he should be getting AFL time but we are a little short in players too.

Delist make the hard call
Definitely a hard call to delist while they're playing a game!

I don't understand how he can make it. He'd have to have Diesel like hands and vision being as slow and weak as he is. He's closer to Colyer than Diesel though in that department at this point. VFL watchers have seen something different obviously but there's been nothing at AFL level.

Definitely a hard call to delist while they're playing a game!

I don't understand how he can make it. He'd have to have Diesel like hands and vision being as slow and weak as he is. He's closer to Colyer than Diesel though in that department at this point. VFL watchers have seen something different obviously but there's been nothing at AFL level.
Flat track bully does well in the VFL struggles in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back