Player Watch #29: Joel 'Scarface' Smith – making waves in the world of business

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a lot of g’s you’re moving though. I’m sceptical that he was full on dealing - my guess is that he was just the contact point.
Well, different customers buy different amounts, just saying, the smaller amounts you sell, the more you'll make if you have the customer base to move it. Youre probably right tho, "dealing" is a very vague, what constitutes dealing in the SIA's eyes? They could define it as bloke who buys an eight ball and divvy's it up amongst 3 or 4 other players, who knows.

Well, different customers buy different amounts, just saying, the smaller amounts you sell, the more you'll make if you have the customer base to move it. Youre probably right tho, "dealing" is a very vague, what constitutes dealing in the SIA's eyes? They could define it as bloke who buys an eight ball and divvy's it up amongst 3 or 4 other players, who knows.
According to this: Drug Trafficking: What are the quantities? | Dribbin & Brown 3g is a traffickable quantity of cocaine and offering to sell to others could put him in the gun for trafficking/dealing. Basically the situation you described at the end is what it sounds like.

Wonder what is the trigger point for SIA being able to look into your phone records? I would have thought that would be a police thing, or is that a clause as an AFL player? Coz that seems wild all the same.
Sporting Integrity Australia have extraordinary powers, on par with the ATO and ASIC, and can compel people to answer questions and reveal information that could be self-incriminating. There are questions as to whether the use of these powers would stand up in a High Court challenge, but they haven't been tested as far as I'm aware.

My understanding with the SIA legislation is that a positive result, would allow them to use their powers and force your cooperation in an interview and via any personal device/documentation.

Sporting Integrity Australia have extraordinary powers, on par with the ATO and ASIC, and can compel people to answer questions and reveal information that could be self-incriminating. There are questions as to whether the use of these powers would stand up in a High Court challenge, but they haven't been tested as far as I'm aware.

My understanding with the SIA legislation is that a positive result, would allow them to use their powers and force your cooperation in an interview and via any personal device/documentation.
Cheers for the info, that is mad to me.

According to this: Drug Trafficking: What are the quantities? | Dribbin & Brown 3g is a traffickable quantity of cocaine and offering to sell to others could put him in the gun for trafficking/dealing. Basically the situation you described at the end is what it sounds like.
And if so, it's hardly a hangable offence. What gets me though is just how dumb this is making him look – between taking it before a game when it would obviously be detectable, to allegedly dealing via text message (not an encrypted app), and using the most obvious 'code' imaginable.

The last points make me sincerely doubt that he's moving volumes of the stuff, as that sort of carelessness would get you brought down very, very quickly.

Just comes across like he's a very silly, cashed-up lad. Not the first, won't be the last, but he's certainly not winning any prizes for his intellect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers for the info, that is mad to me.
I think several other athletes and player unions will be alarmed, I doubt many will be complaining about punishment for a positive result on a match day, but then going further and alleging trafficking when it's potentially from evidence that is being compelled out of you, is wrong to me and would be completely unacceptable in a Police investigation.

Some articles about this in the lead-up to the legislation being passed about this very issue.

Joel is a hero, going to get people fired who deserve to be and bring about change that was desperately needed. This feels like comeuppance for Goody trading away Watts. Jack wasn't the issue #Vindicated

And if so, it's hardly a hangable offence. What gets me though is just how dumb this is making him look – between taking it before a game when it would obviously be detectable, to allegedly dealing via text message (not an encrypted app), and using the most obvious 'code' imaginable.

The last points make me sincerely doubt that he's moving volumes of the stuff, as that sort of carelessness would get you brought down very, very quickly.

Just comes across like he's a very silly, cashed-up lad. Not the first, won't be the last, but he's certainly not winning any prizes for his intellect.
Using on game day is next level dumb. Even Dane Swan managed to avoid this trap.

My guess is Joel was just picking up for the boys and it's all come crashing down. Wouldn't surprised if he was grabbing an ounce each time and splitting 8 balls up between 6 blokes. And keeping a q for himself.

Probably gonna take the downfall for being the moron who wanted to sell to his mates but if anyone knows how the important dealers work you don't have 9 different blokes texting at different times trying to buy, you send one bloke quietly to do it all

He's gonna lose his career and blokes like Clarry will walk away relatively unscathed

On the other hand getting on it during the finals is just ******* stupid, you'd hope he's the only one but I'm guessing he ain't

Reckon their might be other melb players a bit nervous right now .
Who said pre season would be boring ?
See the demons are High !!

Reckon their might be other melb players a bit nervous right now .
Who said pre season would be boring ?
See the demons are High !!
Reckon the club is well aware of who they are and have been for a month or more. Outside Oliver who is public knowledge at this point, just an educated guess but Hunter (track record with Dogs) and Salem (Oliver's mate) been running a lot of laps away from the group at training by themselves. "Injured" at the moment.

Goodwin is the big issue here ! s**t rolls down hill.
Ask staff at the Sorrento hotel about him!
Yep. My partner is connected to someone at Sorrento Hotel and some of the stories suggest Goody is an absolute menace. Which makes his little tantrum about not contacting Smith because he was too angry, all the more hypocritical. The whole club needs a broom through it. Was obviously a deal with the devil winning a premiership. The place is a shambles and Goody appears to be a big part of the culture problem. Need our 'leaders' to put on their big boy/girl pants and make some big calls now instead of burying heads in the Sand. This season is over before it begins unfortunately. Far too many issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back