Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he may have slightly better skills than Harvey. Did Banger have a 40m left foot?

Clark is capable of winning a Brownlow.
Hunter has got a really nice kick off both feet, which is such a bonus. You see in those highlights sometimes of his left some of his right. I forgot what his natural foot is

It's a case of bogans winning the lottery. They've failed to handle success.

They were once our unsuccessful brothers in arms, and whilst we cheered their success, they immediately turned into w***ers.

Their game plan of staging for frees is their way of trying to cheat another win.
But their heart and soul left with Bob Murphy, Boyd, Morris and Picken.

Since then they've also lost Hamling, Stringer, T.Boyd, Dollhouse, Roughead, etc.

Only 4 years on and they're not the same team that won a GF. Not even close.

Bevo is trying to win by whatever means he has, but he's crossed a line, because you don't win premierships while you're concentrating on how to cheat the umps. That's what soccer is for.

They'll get their just deserts.
Already are...
Very unimpressed at Doggies fans attempts to defend Wallis's tactics.

Very unimpressed at Doggies fans attempts to defend Wallis's tactics.
We all do it when you think we think we're getting something out of it.
They'll change their tune when they realize their team is going nowhere, and it's really Bevo that should be under the microscope since it's rife through the team and not just Wallace.
Like I said, they ain't going to win sh1t whilst that attitude infects the team...

is it just me or has Josh Bruce fallen so far this year that you would consider delisting him ... he was litterally a wasted space on the dogs team he looked slow didnt bother to chase couldnt lay a tackle in a cuddle congregation ... and his marking .. oh my.. the dude couldnt catch herpes kissing the entire Collingwood cheersquad how bad is his ability..

normally i dont derive enjoyment in seeing our former players do poorly thats not my style but i must say i did smirk when he trudged off the oval pretending to look upset at the loss ... the dogs have picked up a dud from us he is there for his payday thats it .. not person with a passion for the club they are representing would put in that effort ....

in 2019 Bruce played 22 games had these were his goals
1602045794054.png

In 2017 not much better
1602045875673.png

he just is not that good.

View attachment 979578

In 2017 not much better
View attachment 979580

Those aren’t BAD returns though. In those years he was kicking multiple goals per game in about half of those games.

He is much much worse this year. 17 games and just 2 of them he kicked 2 or more (6 against North and 2 against Richmond). He kicked 1 in 6 games. That leaves 9 games that he didn’t kick a single goal in.

In 2017 & 2019 combined he was goalless in just 6 games.

72 goals from 42 games in 2017/2019 is not even comparable to 14 goals in 17 games this year.

Whatever your opinion of him was with us, he is barely a third of the player he was now with the Dogs.

View attachment 979578

In 2017 not much better
View attachment 979580

It was more than goals tho like when he was with us he at least looked threatening at times. He moved around and created space, brought the ball to ground for our smalls. Now he just looks like a lazy sack of potatoes.

It was more than goals tho like when he was with us he at least looked threatening at times. He moved around and created space, brought the ball to ground for our smalls. Now he just looks like a lazy sack of potatoes.

He was a full court player with us, his run and linking was very good for a big man. At the Dogs he's expected to sit under the ball which was never in his trick bag. He was better getting on a long run.

He was a full court player with us, his run and linking was very good for a big man. At the Dogs he's expected to sit under the ball which was never in his trick bag. He was better getting on a long run.

Yes mate they are using him wrongly and for some mysterious reason got him to bulk up a bit when he is a running forward.

On a different note; the goal Ryder ended up kicking in the second quarter—the long run by Hill and Steele—was the perfect exemplar of our improvement this year. Dedicated, focused running forward, defensive set up solid to protect against turnover, space for forwards to connect in which means a lot of extra sacrificial running. Ball movement exceptional. It was a beautiful team goal. Steele ran the entire field for no possessions, was stuffed at the end. Not one of the immensely talented 'Footscray' players went with him. Glorious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly thought, at the time, that of the players we traded, Bruce would probably have the best outcome from his change of scenery. Once he started opening his yapper to slag us off, and heading off into glorious isolation during the first shutdown, it became pretty clear he wasn't going to do himself or his new team too many favours. And so it turned out ... basically one good game all season against Gold Coast.

If you had to rank our cast offs, I reckon it goes like this ...

1. Newnes - clearly did good work for Carlton (as he would have for us), earned his salary, and showed he's got plenty left in the tank.
2. GOAT - Season disrupted by injury, but showed late that he's going to be a good player for Freo.
3. Stuv - Solid when he got on the field, but his issues over the past two seasons have taken their toll, and he looks well past his best in an aging team
4. Bruce - 9 doughnuts, and only 2 games of more than 1 goal ... kicked less goals than the 20yo we replaced him with.

The one we'll likely regret over time is GOAT ... I would have liked to see him get a full season under Ratten before giving him up, but then again, we're playing in the second week of finals, so our balance is clearly not bad without him. Pretty clear Stuv is not first-picked at Geelong, and there's a real chance that only Bruce will have hit the field during a final in 2020.

Spot on summary. The order is the exact opposite of what I would have expected. Ironically, you could say the same thing of the recruits we brought in

Spot on summary. The order is the exact opposite of what I would have expected. Ironically, you could say the same thing of the recruits we brought in

I'm not going to disagree with you there, and there are reasons for it which make a lot of sense. That said, we're a measurably better team with our 5 trade-ins, and King.

Ryder ... came in absolutely ready to do whatever we wanted him to do - and it's obvious he's had a positive impact on both Roma and King in their work.
Butler ... feasting off the scraps which come from having a bunch of talls bringing the ball to ground - very much how Milne feasted off Roo/Kosi. Doesn't hurt that Roma/King/Ryder get both hands to the ball and bring it down to the right spot - he's going to be a happy camper over the next few season ... "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust ... if King doesn't kill you, then Butler must" ;)
Howard ... I don't mind admitting that when I saw his highlights package at trade time, I thought he was a bit raw, but had instincts around mark/punch, and would be really good in a season or two, but he has developed into an absolute rock at fullback way faster than I expected, and his speed on the burst is mighty impressive, and very deceptive.
Jones ... I don't think we've seen the best of him yet, but he's had some very solid games for us.
Hill ... obviously we can't see him run a tired team off their legs with shorter quarters, so we've got that to look forward to ... biggest challenge has been learning how to use him to best effect. We're just starting to scratch the surface, but signs are good.

How good is Nick Coffield?

Improvement this year has been ridiculous - where did this intercept marking smooth moving half back come from!?

One of my favourite players with Gresh/Hunter/Max they’re just soo good to watch - all 4 will be All-Australian at some point

Improvement this year has been ridiculous - where did this intercept marking smooth moving half back come from!?

One of my favourite players with Gresh/Hunter/Max they’re just soo good to watch - all 4 will be All-Australian at some point

love the Coff. His second half of the year has been absolutely outstanding. Hunter Clark I started to see it the second half of last season. Both are
Up there as our most improved along with Paton Who is criminally underrated.

Agree, love Coff the Coiff, been really impressed with his ability to read the incoming ball

Agree, love Coff the Coiff, been really impressed with his ability to read the incoming ball
+ the ball use which has been exceptional.

love the Coff. His second half of the year has been absolutely outstanding. Hunter Clark I started to see it the second half of last season. Both are
Up there as our most improved along with Paton Who is criminally underrated.

backing in those 2 (coff and Paton) all season was a master class and will he looked back on pretty fondly I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back