AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Had 23 most of them good. But I felt he was really good defensively, ie caused a lot of turnovers even though the saints disposal is the worst I've seen this year and they brought a lot on themselves.

At one stage late in the the third I think, he ran 70m to just put enough pressure on a ball coming in and affected the marking contest. He then spoiled the next kick out of bounds. His defensive game is becoming very very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems bigger and stronger to me since he went down with the injury - whether he’s actually physically put on weight or he’s just playing with more confidence I’m not sure, but he seems stronger

Did jack s**t?

You have got to be kidding Bruno.
I have to admit, I did not notice him a great deal and was surprised when I looked at the stats to find he was smashed out so many clearances. I was also surprised to find Andy McGrath had 30 plus. I also did not really notice Merrett stack on another lazy 30 plus game or Zaharakhis. The Captain on the other hand seemed to be everywhere and I think that is because of his hair.

Second in contested possessions.

Apparently contested possessions include loose ball gets (or so Ro Co said on SEN after 11:30am last night). That would explain it.

I've now researched it:

"A possession which has been won when the ball is in dispute. Includes looseball-gets, hardball-gets, contested marks, gathers from a hit-out and frees for."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-28/stats-glossary-every-stat-explained

I thought that Parish was brushed aside in almost every situation last night that I thought was "contested" and then I head "will be the best clearance player at the club" and "will be All Australian" and I was wondering what version of his game he has ever shown against adults that would translate to that caliber of player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back