AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

I can cop different opinions on players, their influence, stats interpretation, strengths v weaknesses etc

But good football teams have midfield depth and variety. Anyone suggesting we’d be better off without him in the 22 (or should be traded) has a grudge.

The sad part is that pathetic individuals were so quick to sink the boot into him when he was clearly coming back from injury.... all pre season reports from before his injury had him as a standout....

Anyway heck those people like Kane Cornes, bet he's going to be quiet after this game even though he pulled the worst player in the comp card after 2 games. Would've said jack s**t if he played for port.

goodness me i thought he was easily the worst of our mids?

lots of turnovers. lots of poor kicks. not sure what he's meant to be

Parish had 36 disposals, 6 clearances, 11 marks, 6 inside 50s and 5 rebound 50s. He's the first player to record those stats (or better) in a game since Guy Rigoni in 2000. No Essendon player has ever done it before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I solely picked my top 3 on just the eye test this week and not stat looking. He passed the eye test for me. I had him third best with McKay second and Merrett 1st. According to the stats I could of had him higher but his impact was definitely noticeable for me.

I can cop different opinions on players, their influence, stats interpretation, strengths v weaknesses etc

But good football teams have midfield depth and variety. Anyone suggesting we’d be better off without him in the 22 (or should be traded) has a grudge.

With trades things like Value vs replacement and likely trade return matter a lot.

Trading any player (Except maybe Merrett due to his leadership lifiting the whole list) has the potential to improve the side given the right return.

He’s back bitches
where did he go ?
Personally I thought it was okay that others where taking up the slack. He des not have to get 30 plus every week . :)

goodness me i thought he was easily the worst of our mids?

lots of turnovers. lots of poor kicks. not sure what he's meant to be
Parish.
5 turnovers
15/22 effective kicks
2 clangers
68.2 kicking efficiency

Merrett
3 turnovers
7/12 effective kicks
3 clangers
58.3 kicking efficiency

Durham
2 turnovers
5/10 effective kicks
5 clangers
50% kicking efficiency

where did he go ?
Personally I thought it was okay that others where taking up the slack. He des not have to get 30 plus every week . :)
He was OK but Ok does not seem to be good enough around here for the haters.

I’m not a huge fan
I have been in that boat but he is developing under Scott. Last year the tackling efforts improved now his defensive positioning and last night his passing when he had time looked rock solid. And the hands set us up.

He was OK but Ok does not seem to be good enough around here for the haters.
I think there are two separate conversations to be had around Parish.

The first one is how does he rate as a footballer. I have him as a third tier mid, best 22 at most clubs but a support act and not the main man. For me he’s our 4th most important mid after Merrett, Durham and Caldwell.

If you agree with that (and some will not) then it begs the question of why did we give a 27 y.o. foot soldier a 6 year deal on very good coin? Which I think feeds into what you are calling out re ok not being enough.

I think these conversations conflate at times. I.e we remunerate him like a star and therefore expect him to play like one every week. But to me, he’s just not that guy.

So my thoughts are to assess him purely as footballer in this thread and forget about the deal. We should take that line of conversation to the list management thread and direct it at whomever at the club made the decision.

My two cents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back