Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't expecting such a horrific reaction (after such a good win) towards a player of which, had gotten injured.

You can criticise his output when it's warranted and he has ample opportunity to make up for it. But when he's injured?

We are so much better than this guys. This is a sickening thread to read. Especially the last few pages.

And the fact that the moderators have had to step in speaks resounding volumes to the line that has been seriously crossed by some.

Reflect on what has happened in the last 24-48 hours, and ask yourselves the questions.

Just so unnecessary.

Well said, although I'd suggest it's not really a sickening thread, just 2 or 3 sickening posters.

I just don't get it.

The club, who have gone through a week that would almost deserve a chapter of its own in its official history, wins a game against an opponent who won a premiership 34 games ago, and who had won 26 of those 34 to sit in the Top 4 once again. The win is so good that the coach describes the pressure level as 'outrageous'. A set of young players have their best game for the club - LDU, Simpkin, ZurRHAAAR and TT. The fill-in coach, who's only been part of the place for 7 months, unashamably expresses his love for the club, its culture and its people.

But some people here just want to pot a limited, but whole-hearted clubman who's got every inch of talent out of himself, in a milestone game, who didn't affect the game one way or the other due to injury.

I just don't get it.

I agree with your sentiment about not potting a guy that has just sustained an injury. I disagree with your view that he has got every inch of talent out of himself. I think what frustrates a lot of us about JMAC and LMAC is they both look like they have the elements to be much better footballers than they are but have not really improved at all under Scott for the past 3 to 4 seasons. Part of that lack of improvement could be attributed to lack of accountability. Scott never demanded the rights standards from them in terms of sticking tackles being non-negotiable, making good decisions with the ball in hand etc. I think we can tolerate skill errors when players are making the right decisions and are fully committed but if they consistently make the same poor decisions, like just bombing every kick high and long, or don't fully commit to defending the man and the ball, then we get frustrated.

If Rhyce Shaw can get both these guys to play to their potential then it will be a great outcome for North, whether they stay or we trade them.

Screenshot_20190602-130603_AFL.jpg
Jmac vs Pittard.

One doesn't get as much praise as the other... stats don't lie.

Sometimes Pittard does do more direct plays with the ball whilst Macmillan looks for the long loose option or gives and go. Both use risky play styles no doubt.

Macmillan more often than not, takes a risk with his passes hence his higher turnover avg. and slightly more metres gained. Unsurprisingly, they are both almost identical in career avg. probably because both have been in the system for the same amount of time and play similar roles.

Macmillan still has a lot of room for improvement and I'm willing to believe he was restricted in his current role under Brad. So does Pittard. Both players are not peaking yet. Until Shaw makes some changes, lets reserve our judgement until then?

He was actually doing alright until he got injured. 9 disposals at 78%. 3 contested possessions and 4 intercept possessions in 38mins of TOG. He was busy when it was close.

Interestingly in our wins, he plays solidly well and in some losses he sill used the ball pretty well. Turnovers do unfortunately reappear but again, they are gonna happen if the mids and forwards don't present. Sitting on the wing at Marvel, I see a lot of the play. It happens. Sometimes the boys have no gas left. Not to mention the vulnerable game plan we utilised quite horridly.

They are both similar players with Pittard having more pace, which unfortunately means Shaw needs to make a decision. Both of them are good in link up play, but we either rotate them from the bench or move Macmillan up the ground somehow and be that receiver since he can use the ball really well in that position. I can't see Pittard being moved since he has pace. We need zip for link up and breaking the lines.

Level headed discussion, that is all.

View attachment 685031
Jmac vs Pittard.

Sometimes Pittard does do more direct plays with the ball whilst Macmillan looks for the long loose option or gives and go. Both use risky play styles no doubt.

Macmillan more often than not, takes a risk with his passes hence his higher turnover avg. and slightly more metres gained. Unsurprisingly, they are both almost identical in career avg. probably because both have been in the system for the same amount of time and play similar roles.

Macmillan still has a lot of room for improvement and I'm willing to believe he was restricted in his current role under Brad. So does Pittard. Both players are not peaking yet. Until Shaw makes some changes, lets reserve our judgement until then?

He was actually doing alright until he got injured. 9 disposals at 78%. 3 contested possessions and 4 intercept possessions in 38mins of TOG. He was busy when it was close.

Interestingly in our wins, he plays solidly well and in some losses he sill used the ball pretty well. Turnovers do unfortunately reappear but again, they are gonna happen if the mids and forwards don't present. Sitting on the wing at Marvel, I see a lot of the play. It happens. Sometimes the boys have no gas left. Not to mention the vulnerable game plan we utilised quite horridly.

They are both similar players with Pittard having more pace, which unfortunately means Shaw needs to make a decision. Both of them are good in link up play, but we either rotate them from the bench or move Macmillan up the ground somehow and be that receiver since he can use the ball really well in that position. I can't see Pittard being moved since he has pace. We need zip for link up and breaking the lines.

Very interesting - Shaw will know is ability and potential more than anyone having been back-line coach.

Looking forward to see if he can take a step up under a new coach and game style.

Cool.

View attachment 685031
Jmac vs Pittard.

All I took out that was Jamie averages 50% more turnovers per game. In a close competition seperated by a game here or there and %, this is significant. Really significant.

Jasper has been good this year, really surprised at his competitiveness and ability to defend.

Small sample size but the last 2 weeks have seen Jamie play at speed more and take bodies a lot more in general play.

The side seemed more accountable for direct opponents vs Richmond so a calf injury could be the collateral damage from that approach.

Hope he recovers soon irrespective of how anyone sees his place in the best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would laugh if he becomes one of our better player as spare up and around the ball..
haha so would I! Because that is so far from reality its borderline crazy! Remember against the doggies he was in 30m of clear space, 30 out, 45 degree angle and he passed it to a 3 on 1? .... surely everyone remembers that?

haha so would I! Because that is so far from reality its borderline crazy! Remember against the doggies he was in 30m of clear space, 30 out, 45 degree angle and he passed it to a 3 on 1? .... surely everyone remembers that?

I remember him playing the single worst 30 plus possession game I have seen against the Swans. I don't remember the specific incident against the Dogs but I do think his 11 possession game was better than the week before. His decision making, execution, and turnovers are the things that frustrate massively. I think he has the makings of a good player but really went backward under Scott.

So much for everyone remembering it, because you didn't. It was against Sydney.

Confidence is a funny thing....
He’s a big body with decent skills and another one suffering from a game plan that revolves around guarding space. Others around him taking one on one match ups, will do him wonders. I’ve got no doubt if he is tasked with see ball get ball, he’ll be fine.

Last edited:
From AFL.com.au

An extended break could also favour seasoned North Melbourne backman Jamie Macmillan in his bid to take on Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium on Saturday after scans confirmed he damaged his left calf in the second quarter of the win over Richmond on Friday night.

"He had a scan and I think there's a little nick there but we're just going to see how he goes during the week," Kangaroos caretaker coach Rhyce Shaw told Channel Seven on Sunday.

"We've got eight days (between games) so that plays into his hands a little bit, but he'll obviously be monitored early on."

I just went WOW! at the McMillan piece on the North website.

Claiming that he should be right to go and given to the last minute to prove his fitness.

Does he really believe he is a walk up start in that side if fit or worried if he doesn’t play he might lose his spot? If it’s the later, I hope he puts the club first and doesn’t play out of desperation and risk the side being one down early.

Do yourself and the club a favour and take the week JMac. I don’t want the club carrying a bloke who could break down early, unless it’s Ben Cunnington, Ben Brown or Robbie Tarrant.

Let’s hope sanity prevails and he takes the week to recover and if he needs to come back via the two’s, then so be it.

Claiming that he should be right to go and given to the last minute to prove his fitness.

Does he really believe he is a walk up start in that side if fit or worried if he doesn’t play he might lose his spot? If it’s the later, I hope he puts the club first and doesn’t play out of desperation and risk the side being one down early.

Do yourself and the club a favour and take the week JMac. I don’t want the club carrying a bloke who could break down early, unless it’s Ben Cunnington, Ben Brown or Robbie Tarrant.

Let’s hope sanity prevails and he takes the week to recover and if he needs to come back via the two’s, then so be it.

Kind of feel this a bit

Like turn it up mate, you’re not absolutely crucial to our side, hell we still won without you lol ;)

Just about every player in the AFL does that.

The way the article came across, it was like he thought he was a walk up start if he declared himself fit?

I reckon you're tempering that with your own (not well thought out) opinion about him mate.

Critiques are best when they are balanced and analytical, and this thread has become too much of a dumbed down slag-fest, due to a couple of posters.

Check out Rob Zombie and Rick18's posting method as a means to get a better point across.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back