Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's pretty much as good as anyone when he's on the move with 20m of grass ahead of him, and we're seeing that much more often with so much less of the downsides.

There were a few situations like that where he won the ball for us brilliantly early in the game.

Been dynamic lately. Tef probably on the money, playing with more clarity, looks to have a whittled down role.

Used to be referred to as an on-field coach by Brad et al and it looks like might've bogged him down mentally. Also being in the position of having to earn his recall would've been a wake-up call.

No idea if this is now the norm for Jamie but can only judge on the evidence at hand and that says he's played a quality month of football.

For the billionth time, it's amazing what can happen to the flankers & pockets when the midfield is doing it's job.

Symbiosis people.

I was pleasantly stunned to see Pittard, Atley & MacMillan bounding off the half back line and streaming through the middle to capitalise on clean & efficient clearances, then drive us in to attack. We actually got to see their offensive capacity. I haven't seen that stuff from a North side in a while.

A couple of times he read the Port plays crucially-exceptionally well. One play in particular on the wing when Port were transitioning, ball gets loose to a target, Jmac reads it straight away and intercepts. Propelling our counter-attack. Saw ball, wanted it more. Good stuff.

His awareness aspect has improved dramatically.

A couple of times he read the Port plays crucially-exceptionally well. One play in particular on the wing when Port were transitioning, ball gets loose to a target, Jmac reads it straight away and intercepts. Propelling our counter-attack. Saw ball, wanted it more. Good stuff.

View attachment 729887

He's always been a smart player, and when the pressure of a steamrolling opposition player was taken off him, he could show his wares. The same goes for Atley, Pittard, L-Mac and all our other defenders.

Then look at our forward line?!

It all comes down to the midfielders.

View attachment 729887

And Goldie there on the spread, with the clean dish-off. The extra mobile mid that he was when playing his best football :thumbsu:

30+? Do you round up in tens or somethin? He's had 3 x 30 plus games in his career, now lets get one thing clear, racking up the pill and massive numbers does not equate to anything but numbers..

He had 37 against fremantle this year, what did we lose by? the ball was in our D50 for about 90% of the game, he laid 3 tackles and 4 one percent acts IN A BACKLINE under siege all day, he also directly turned the ball over 7 times and thats not counting selling a team mate under pressure by poor decision making.. if a QUALITY half back racks up 30+ you are on your way to a comprehensive victory.. I dont need to go on..

His game last week was okay, it's unfortunate he hasnt sustained OK form all year or I wouldnt need to call it out..

30+ games, have a spell
You asked me when he was best, I told you. He's had high impact games strewn throughout his career, and been serviceable elsewhere. Has he became elite, no. He's like wood.

The backline doesn't get high tackle counts (its rather un-intuitive, and rather long to explain), so your outrage at that is unwarranted. If you think that "IN A BACKLINE" means you should tackle more there... then you probably should take a rest at analyzing the backline.

For example, scooter has 3 30+ possession games in his career, and his highest, 39 - a 25 point win against GWS, he laid 1 tackle.... IN THE BACKLINE. :eek:

Played very well but still managed to pull some poor decisions out of his clacker. But probably his best game this year. Lets hope this is the new JMac!

In fairness, you could say the same thing about Dangerfield - on the some poor decisions front.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Played very well but still managed to pull some poor decisions out of his clacker. But probably his best game this year. Lets hope this is the new JMac!

People want him to have a absolutely perfect game with no mistakes

He had a measly 3 turnovers for the entire game and his ball use was superb

As the previous post, players like Danger butcher the ball but we tend to gloss over that because he is a gun

All perspective :)

You asked me when he was best, I told you. He's had high impact games strewn throughout his career, and been serviceable elsewhere. Has he became elite, no. He's like wood.

The backline doesn't get high tackle counts (its rather un-intuitive, and rather long to explain), so your outrage at that is unwarranted. If you think that "IN A BACKLINE" means you should tackle more there... then you probably should take a rest at analyzing the backline.

For example, scooter has 3 30+ possession games in his career, and his highest, 39 - a 25 point win against GWS, he laid 1 tackle.... IN THE BACKLINE. :eek:
He’s too busy intercepting the ball to worry about tackling and he usually plays on the last line! Have a spell mate, plus he’s generally in one v one contests which more often than not the ball is in dispute.. are you full quid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So on Saturday I saw him step at least 3 Port defenders and I didn't even get there until halfway through the 2nd.

Do we give him a missed-tackle credit for each time he goes through a turnstile himself :D?

"You need a turnstile to beat a turnstile"

It seems to me that he's just playing a bit harder. Holds his marks against a pressuring body, and outbodies his opponents for a contested ground ball. Wouldn't be surprised if Rhys Shaw told him what he wanted.

I do wish he go down the middle occasionally with his kick outs, he nearly always go to the right flank as hard as he can.

I think I saw the ball bobble up several times and he won the contest on each occasion saving us from conceding multiple goals.
Was astonishing and brilliant play. His 1%ers were off the charts

People are not invested in his demise at all. Most of us just saw him play a string of crap games and called him out for it. Stop trying to make a witch hunt when there is none. And kudos for Jamie for getting his house in order.

Not his demise, I think after two benchmark performances, this place had gone into a frenzy.. im not convinced or had the wool pulled over my eyes.. if he isnt traded out at years end, plays on for us next year his form cannot dip below the standard (benchmark) he is playing at now or he’ll cost himself a spot

He's had a good solid month but for mine he - along with a bunch of others - are firmly in the category of available for the right price. We still have a surplus in a few areas and are lacking in others. The way to get better is to identify where we can most afford to lose players for bigger gains elsewhere (not saying this has to be Jmac by the way, just that I don't buy into the idea that players playing good footy = irreplaceable or should never be considered for trade). IMO this is part of the reason we have been average to good at best over the last 2 decades is that we have been too aggressive at keeping "good" players without necessarily getting the best balance (albeit I'm willing to wear that the GWS / GC years messed mightily with how we might view retention of players).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back