Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

mZtLLjGh.jpg

Lewis Melican

Player Profile

Lewis Melican is a young key defender with enormous promise. The Victorian was rookie-listed by the Sydney Swans in November 2014 and enjoyed a breakthrough 2017 season en route to winning the club’s Rising Star award. He kept St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt to just 10 possessions and one goal in Round 18 to claim an AFL Rising Star nomination. Melican has battled a number of injuries in his time in red and white but didn’t suffer any setbacks in 2019. Draft history: 2015 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 52.

Lewis Melican

DOB: 04 November 1996
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: Birregurra (Vic)/Geelong U18

Last edited:
I think Jordon was more to blame for that. The Melican kick was ok but Jordon was flat footed and waited for it to come to him rather than moving to meet it.
I said the same thing at the time.. it was more on jordan calling for it in no space

Lewis really earning his spot. Has stopped giving away stupid frees and seems to be anticipating much better. Great to see. Hope he keeps it up and stays healthy.

that might simply be because he's fit and healthy
he's not that half step, or split second, slower than his opponent, he's getting himself into the better positions that bit quicker, so there's not that instinctive need to impede and infringe ...
he looks more mobile, and far more settled and assured

If we miss out on McKay and have Melican instead, I'm cool with that. I care more about getting Grundy than McKay. I like Melican. His best is pretty good. I'm hoping he can be another slow burn Reg and become cherished internally and by Swans fans over the back half of his career. His disposal is improving too.

Really was brilliant early in the game.

From a personal perspective he is turning into a bit of a Heath Grundy. I wondered what the club saw in him, but he developed into being a wonderful defender over his career, and I'm starting to see the same with Melican.

You possibly owe me a bit of a nod here - not an entirely personal/idiosyncratic perspective!

I loved Melican's work last week and this. And I'll double down on his disposal improving too - notwithstanding the goal he coughed up chipping sideways in D50.

He took a long time to be able to transition from not just being a good VFL player but also a good AFL player

I remember him getting an AFL nomination and winning our Rising Star but struggling to remember him ever doing much in the VFL lol
Great to see Meli getting back to his best.
He and Tom seem to compliment each nicely.
Meli does a lot of talking to the defensive troops and has the athleticism to move further upfield to contribute, while Tom looks very composed just hanging back, concentrating totally on his own man while also covering Meli’s adventures.
Super keen to watch this partnership grow.

I noticed he was on the bench for at least the last 10 minutes. Hopefully just managed.

Did have 77% TOG, which compares to his 80% and 75% the first two rounds.

I thought T. Mac was a little off tonight, but once again Melican rock solid.

Always been a fan, but with all his injuries and needing time to get up to full throttle I was worried we might have already seen the best.
I think 2MP was also off late so may also have been match up related. Hopefully Lewis will be right to go next week and continue his fine start to the season and his partnership with Tom. 🤞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the big differences with Lewis so far has been:
Better positioning. Maybe help from his teammates but watching from close up (Bay 28) he seems to be doing it himself.
Better anticipation. This is huge. He is arriving in time to impact without giving away a free. Starting earlier - he has always been fast enough.
Confidence. He seems to believe in himself more.
Good to see and long may it last.

Meli has indeed been good. I am considering whether to give him a vote in POTY for last night.

However, is it just my imagination or has he been playing a less accountable/more floating role, which is leading to him taking more intercept marks? I'm going to have to re-watch and pay more attention.

I think Melican is the type of defender who you need to be at the ground to make a proper assessment of his play. He's not a star but he's a solid KPD who looks even better in a really good team. Kinda like Jack Payne at Brisbane - neither are top of the line players but they're both solid players who if they play within their means in terms of their disposal and also work their tails off defensively, they are very effective. Melican's body-work, spoiling, and coverage of the ground have been really good from what I've seen so far. Making good decisions about when to help his teammates and also backing himself to intercept.

I just hope his body can continue with the play because he's never shown an ability to string a full season of top notch footy together. Hopefully this year is it but I have my doubts.

Meli has indeed been good. I am considering whether to give him a vote in POTY for last night.

However, is it just my imagination or has he been playing a less accountable/more floating role, which is leading to him taking more intercept marks? I'm going to have to re-watch and pay more attention.
He's taken Paddy Mccartins role?

I just hope his body can continue with the play because he's never shown an ability to string a full season of top notch footy together. Hopefully this year is it but I have my doubts.

Oof. Gonna curse him now.

If either him or Mccartin goes down, who replaces them?

Oof. Gonna curse him now.

If either him or Mccartin goes down, who replaces them?

Francis and Hamling are ready to go to replace them if needed. Big step down from McCartin but not huge from Melican tbh.

I'm still bullish on Will Edwards too. I reckon he'll play seniors in the next 12 months.

I think Melican is the type of defender who you need to be at the ground to make a proper assessment of his play. He's not a star but he's a solid KPD who looks even better in a really good team. Kinda like Jack Payne at Brisbane - neither are top of the line players but they're both solid players who if they play within their means in terms of their disposal and also work their tails off defensively, they are very effective. Melican's body-work, spoiling, and coverage of the ground have been really good from what I've seen so far. Making good decisions about when to help his teammates and also backing himself to intercept.

i agree, we definitely need him to be at the ground, especially on game days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back