Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/cb65a441fec4c29cba32e4073c465315

NAB Rising Star Cameron Zurhaar on wearing Crocs, Ben Cunnington and broken ankles.

He caught the attention of the football world with a five-goal haul against Carlton on Sunday, but North Melbourne’s Cameron Zurhaar has had the attention of his teammates for some time.

Zurhaar’s love of Crocs does not go unnoticed at Arden St, with his fellow Kangaroos refusing to agree that they are a “fashionable” choice of footwear.

“The boys get stuck into me a bit. I guess I’m a little bit different,” Zurhaar said.

“I don’t really care what the boys say so I wear them into the club. There’s nothing like some Crocs. I can’t get out of them.

“I’m fairly fashionable, I think.”

It was instead a pair of black Nike football boots which Zurhaar wore on Sunday in a breakout game against the Blues which earnt him the Round 7 NAB Rising Star nomination.

In just his 13th AFL game, the rookie-listed young gun booted 5.2 to go with 16 disposals and five marks.

But it is the mid-sized forward’s pressure and tackling game that has been his biggest focus as he tries to take after a pair of hard nuts in the North Melbourne midfield.

“I’ve tried to model my game a little bit on Jed Anderson and Ben Cunnington, the pressure and power that those guys give in a game,” Zurhaar said.

“That’s what I want to be.

“The last three games I’ve been putting my foot forward a little bit more and kicking my goals but I think the big thing at North in the forward line at the moment has been forward pressure and I think that’s been a badge for me at the moment.”

Zurhaar, who turns 21 later this month, suffered a broken ankle in a Round 16 clash against Gold Coast Suns last year, forcing him off his feet for three months.

However, a self-funded two-week training camp to Utah in the United States with three teammates during the off-season helped get him back on track and set up Zurhaar to play more regular senior football this year.

“We went over just trying to get a bit of an edge,” Zurhaar said.

“It was mainly just because I was coming back from injury and I needed to get a bit of fitness back.

“It was good this year to get in the side in Round 4 though and be getting a bit of continuity at the moment playing a few games in a row.”

However, a self-funded two-week training camp to Utah in the United States with three teammates during the off-season helped get him back on track and set up Zurhaar to play more regular senior football this year.

“We went over just trying to get a bit of an edge,” Zurhaar said.

“It was mainly just because I was coming back from injury and I needed to get a bit of fitness back.

I'm wrapped for the bloke. He's put on 9 freakin' kilograms, whilst significantly improving his speed and endurance, and all in the course of only 3 years. It just goes to show what working your guts out can do for you. Don't stop there Cam, you have plenty of improvement left in you.

Cam in 2016:

1557181316222.png

He'll end up being a 93-94kg BULL, reminiscent of Micky Conlan:

Cam just confirmed he texted Liam Jones straight after the game to check how he was. Also mentioned he didn't realise Jones was down until he went off with the blood rule and the stretcher was called. (For Carlton fans who had a crack)

Cam just confirmed he texted Liam Jones straight after the game to check how he was. Also mentioned he didn't realise Jones was down until he went off with the blood rule and the stretcher was called. (For Carlton fans who had a crack)

Let 'em whine mate. They'd be wrapped if one of their players showed that physical intent.

Brads probably coaching that out of him at this very moment, so enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm wrapped for the bloke. He's put on 9 freakin' kilograms, whilst significantly improving his speed and endurance, and all in the course of only 3 years. It just goes to show what working your guts out can do for you. Don't stop there Cam, you have plenty of improvement left in you.

Cam in 2016:

View attachment 668937

Been saying for a while he's got it, keep it up Cam.

Have we ever had two players nominated in the one season?

Simpson & Bell in 1996.
Pickett & Hewitt in 1998.
Wells & Motlop in 2003.
Swallow & Moran in 2006.
Smith & McMahon in 2007.
Bastinac & Wright in 2010.

We have never had a triple nomination season.

Last edited:

Cam in 2016:

View attachment 668937

Fair hands on Gary Wilson there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson & Bell in 1996.
Pickett & Hewitt in 1998.
Wells & Motlop in 2003.
Swallow & Moran in 2006.
Smith & McMahon in 2007.
Bastinac & Wright in 2010.

We have never had a triple nomination season.

Completed forgot Wright was nominated.

I'll call it now. If Cam can improve his fitness by the same factor again, then he can also play in the centre square set ups.

He’s a cross between Archer and Leigh Harding. That’s one heady mix! Also, he appears to display the best features of both - without their individual weaknesses. He’s hard and accurate like Archer (not quite as hard) and speedy like Harding (not quite as speedy). Harding struggled to hit a barn door at times, while Archer wasn’t exactly fleet of foot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
He’s a cross between Archer and Leigh Harding. That’s one heady mix! Also, he appears to display the best features of both - without their individual weaknesses. He’s hard an accurate like Archer (not quite as hard) and speedy like Harding (not quite as speedy). Harding struggled to hit a barn door at times, while Archer wasn’t exactly fleet of foot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I loved Turtle. Under appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back