A 100 goal season & Joe Daniher: is he overwhelmingly the most capable player of achieving it again?

Is Daniher overwhelmingly the only player capable of kicking 100 goals in a season?

• Yes

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 133 84.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

“It’s kind of in the Buddy mould,” Goddard told the Herald Sun.

“When Joe Daniher looks down the other end of the ground on Friday night, he'll be eyeing off the greatest forward of the past 10 years.

When Lance Franklin glares back, he might just be staring at the best forward of the next decade and a player who shares more than a few traits with him.”
Wayne Carey

“I think Joe Daniher could be the best player in the comp at the end of the season and that’s as a unique forward,” King said on SEN 1116.

“I think he’ll go past Buddy Franklin this year as the number one forward.”

Maybe Joey drank the bath water

I know Brown is in rare form right now, but Joe is playing actively s**t. Essendon would be better without him, giving a kid who actually wants it a game.

Daniher trading on his name only at the moment.

You cant be serious MaddAdam the bloke kicked over 60 goals last season won a spot in the AA team and you are suggesting we should get rid of him? I agree has a had poor start to the year but to suggest we should get rid of him and play a kid in his spot is ridicolous.

mfw all australian selection time rolls around

mHM3DMk.gif

Said it weeks ago that he shouldn’t be playing. His knee is stuffed and trying to limp it through the season won’t work. The season is as good as over for us so he needs to be put in cotton wool and rested

People won't agree with me on this but he really needs to cut the jovial stuff out of his game if your not performing. Get angry with not being able to kick straight for goal and get angry with how the team is playing, footy seems like a fun chore for him not that there is anythong wrong with that if you produce the goods regularly which he isn't ATM.

Yep, and he clearly doesn't work hard enough off the field. You can see that in his body.

Has an air about him of a bloke that thinks he's made it and doesn't have to work hard. He'll be fine but he's gotta get his head down and go back to basics.

They get compared a lot but he could learn quite a bit from Brown, just in terms of work rate and attitude. He isn't arrogant by any stretch but all you hear from the coaches at North is how he does his own research on upcoming opponents, stays back after training doing additional goal kicking every night, is ultra professional on the track etc.

This, this, this.

I said above a few pages back, but Joe has had the easiest ride into league footy imaginable - largely because of his enormous talent and size (which to paraphrase Ron Barassi to Malcolm Blight, came out the eye of his father's dick, he did nothing to earn it) and then his family name. His size combined with his talent meant juniours was easy for him, then was in every development program, was in the Essendon set up from 16, all that.

Browny was overlooked in three drafts and had to do it the hard way. He's absolutely maximized his talent and the results are now there to see.

Joe has not maximized his talent, because he hasn't NEEDED to so far. Now he needs to.

You cant be serious MaddAdam the bloke kicked over 60 goals last season won a spot in the AA team and you are suggesting we should get rid of him? I agree has a had poor start to the year but to suggest we should get rid of him and play a kid in his spot is ridicolous.

Right now, yep, you'd be better off playing a kid and giving Joe a spell in the twos to make him realise how much hard work is required to be an elite AFL player.

Not suggesting trading him (right now) but it certainly isn't working for him or the team right now.

He made life very easy for the Collingwood defence with some of his efforts.

This, this, this.

I said above a few pages back, but Joe has had the easiest ride into league footy imaginable - largely because of his enormous talent and size (which to paraphrase Ron Barassi to Malcolm Blight, came out the eye of his father's dick, he did nothing to earn it) and then his family name. His size combined with his talent meant juniours was easy for him, then was in every development program, was in the Essendon set up from 16, all that.

Browny was overlooked in three drafts and had to do it the hard way. He's absolutely maximized his talent and the results are now there to see.

Joe has not maximized his talent, because he hasn't NEEDED to so far. Now he needs to.

Interesting to read on the North board that Brown doesn't come off the training track until he has kicked 30 goals in a row with his goal kicking practice routine.

I wonder if Joe has that sort of dedication?

Said it weeks ago that he shouldn’t be playing. His knee is stuffed and trying to limp it through the season won’t work. The season is as good as over for us so he needs to be put in cotton wool and rested

What's the story with his knee? If he's playing injured it certainly won't help.

Dunno about your season being over though, is only Round Six.

Interesting to read on the North board that Brown doesn't come off the training track until he has kicked 30 goals in a row with his goal kicking practice routine.

I wonder if Joe has that sort of dedication?

Yep. Remember David Beckham and his magnificent curling free kicks for Manchester United and England? He used to take 100 of them after training every day, often do even more over the course of a day.

I read a thing where Alex Ferguson said he knew Beckham would make it as top line player when he saw him staying out after training one day on a horrible winter day, sleet and wind, to do his 100 practice shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has an air about him of a bloke that thinks he's made it and doesn't have to work hard. He'll be fine but he's gotta get his head down and go back to basics.

They get compared a lot but he could learn quite a bit from Brown, just in terms of work rate and attitude. He isn't arrogant by any stretch but all you hear from the coaches at North is how he does his own research on upcoming opponents, stays back after training doing additional goal kicking every night, is ultra professional on the track etc.

He's got a ticket to stay there for a long time too: Nepotism, athleticism and he's a tall forward they take time to develop. He's basically Jarrad Waite, expect Joey to be around for ages.

What's the story with his knee? If he's playing injured it certainly won't help.

Dunno about your season being over though, is only Round Six.
Just heard a few things from people close to the club that he has a bit of a knee issue and it’s really restricting his movements. Don’t think it’s serious but he probably needs a month off

Just heard a few things from people close to the club that he has a bit of a knee issue and it’s really restricting his movements. Don’t think it’s serious but he probably needs a month off

Yeah, was going to say doesn't seem to have any obvious injuries. They should give him the month off, let him reset his season, if he can come back and have a good second half, then it sets him up well "going forward".

There's no way on this earth that they would be playing him if he was carrying a proper dodgy knee.

He's just too valuable to their long term picture.
Yeah I don’t think it a major issue, just needs a spell for a couple of weeks or it’s one of those injuries where if it was 4 weeks to go in the season and no chance of finals he would be sent to pasture

Take it Bay 13 Uppercut where all your threads belong
I think Lance would welcome the move there as each time this gets bumped he will be embarrassed

Speaking from experience too when in 2010 i started a thread saying S.Burgoyne was a bust for hawks. Still get reminde of it

I think Lance would welcome the move there as each time this gets bumped he will be embarrassed

Speaking from experience too when in 2010 i started a thread saying S.Burgoyne was a bust for hawks. Still get reminde of it

Lance just refuses to come back into his troll threads when they blow up in his face.

Pin it to the top of the board I say

Joe is a poor mans Richo. Superb athlete like Richo and like Richo just does some odd things. But Richo was a gun, imagine if he had kicked straight?

Both seem like pretty decent guys and Joe is young and may fulfill his potential as big guys take time.

Back