A possible ruck trade option for pick six

Remove this Banner Ad

Grendel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Spanish Announcers table
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well..maybe one to consider in a hypothetical anyways.

Meesen was touted last year as the ruck we'd pick up with pick seven. He's not been heard of much since going over to Adelaide and the latest word has had Maric being pushed as a likely/next inclusion if they get an injury to either Clarke or Biglands.

So.. maybe Meesen has slipped a little in their thinking.

With a bloke like Hurn or a few other (don't know the names off hand) S/A blokes available.. would a possible trade of pick six for Meesen work with the Crows then being able to pick up a home grown (and probably more likely then to stay "forever") player in this draft. We pick up a ruck to groom for a few years and then the talk about "what are we going to do when Everitt retires" might ease a little?

Of course, it'd depend if the Crows thought it equitable or not but something to consider maybe? AHawk, any thoughts/sightings on what Meesen has done in (I'm presuming, I haven't read/seen anything) S/A this past season?

Just a thought for discussion anyway.

That is quite tempting...but 2 things need to be considered:

- Isnt there a rule that you cant trade a 1st year player??(think i read it somewhere)

- If we can pick up Ryder, then we can have him as an option for ruck if he grows a few more cms.

Would definately think about it. If he was top 7 last year, some saying even higher at the time of the draft, he obviously has talent.

Reason's for:
Weak draft,
High pick from a strong draft
ageing ruckman,
quality tap ruckman (reports on him),

Reason's against:
Ryder/Clark may be better options.
Ryder already having decent performances in the WAFL may see more valuable.
Ruckman are risky with high picks, maybe worth to use a second round punt

Worth looking into.

I wouldn't use pick 6 on Meesen, he's done bugger all in the SANFL this year and as you mentioned has already been overtaken by Maric. Also Adelaide is very unlikely to be trading ruckmen.

Meesen began the season with Norwood and played some very good football in the fiirst 5-6 rounds but since then has suffered injury. He has only played 3 games in the past 15 rounds.

Maric didn't play at all for Port Adelaide until near the middle of the season and has played some good footy since. I'd say to compare the two I'd have Meesen ahead in ability.

The reason Maric has edged ahead is because he has been playing each week since mid-season and is match fit. Meesen has a greater forward presence, you can throw him up forward and can kick goals.

I would imagine the Hawks trading operations come season's end will be limited. A ruckman will be sought within that limitation.

How about leaving Meesen alone and keeping our pick 6 and with our 20th or so pick just take Shane Neaves if his still available.

Anyone see Shane Neaves?? the guy is 199cm built like an absoloute machine and would be able to step straight into senior footy, one of my mates is the ruck coach at the Cannons and he said that the guy is just learning how to run forward and read the play to be able to kick a few goals.

His not that high on the draft list because he has been injured and missed the nationals because of injury so the spotlight has dwindled some, although being a quality big man in a weak draft he will struggle to last to pick 20. Id even take him perhaps at 7 and leave Meesen alone, its a fairly big call but i just think that Neaves looks the part and seems to be a quick learner.

OR there are other options, we could even trade our 6th pick for a David Hille type?? Everitt will last next season only probably and he is a 25 year old mature ruckman ready to take over as a number 1 and given our ambitions to be there abouts in say 2007 then he could be a nice fit.

Something to think about at least boys.

cheers

Disagree Tige. If Meeson was touted at a possible pick 7 last year in a strong draft, and with the reports on him, I would probably take the trade especially after hearing AdelaideHawks comments about him.

David Hille pick 6? You are kidding I take it. I would think of doing a trade for him, but not for pick 6.

Meeson would be a good target though, hope they look into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back