Roast A reflection of where Pie fans think their club is really at. It's not positive.

Are you happy with we're the club is at?

• Yes

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 104 80.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree / disagree. Premierships automatically appeases the fan base, the fan base is the lifeline of any club. Without flags there is no pride for members and fans - not for the likely majority anyway. Without success the fans will eventually vote with their feet even our base that is one of the most resilient and patient on the planet.

Why has the club put so many resources into the Do Better report actions? It’s got nothing to do with winning Premierships?

It’s because our members and supporters wouldn’t want to be associated with a racist organisation. That in turn affects membership, sponsorship, and ultimately the financial viability of the club.

IMO the purpose of the club is to bring pride to its members and supporters. Some days that means winning games of footy. Some days that means showcasing young kids streaming through the corridor and kicking goals. Some days that means taking steps to heal our racist past. Some days that means seeing our VFLW girls winning a Prelim final to be undefeated in the season. Some days that means thumping Carlton. And yes, some days that means winning Premierships.

There have only been two days in my life that Collingwood have won Premierships, but Collingwood have brought me a lot more days of pride and joy than simply those two.

Last edited:
Hear hear to all of that 👍

I’ve always said that the core purpose of the Collingwood Football Club is not to win Premierships. It’s to bring pride to the members and supporters. Winning Premierships is just a means to an end - a very important means mind you - but it’s not the end unto itself.

Hardly anybody seems to agree with that opinion, but ironically those who are most emphatically opposed to it also seem to be the same people who loved having their ego stroked by our gameshow ex-President.

As the Romans used to say, “Give the people bread and circuses”.

Well I agree with all of that, if you're only satisfied with premierships in an 18 team competition that has "equalisation prescriptors" as its basis...then you're bound to be disappointed on an ongoing basis. The Club enters a new phase as of now, those of us old enough to have seen a few different administrations of said club will attest that it will not kills us off to go through this process again and that we will come out the other side once more.
CFC is a family, you don't always agree with family, but you can never disown it's past.
I for one am excited for a new adventure. Hopefully one of waves, not too much bread and some really exciting circuses!

We have bullsh*tted ourselves about our relevance and significance for way too long

The marketplace doesn't lie. We are without question, still the most talked about club in the country. Journalists and commentators continually refer to us as just that and they say perception is reality. Even with Richmond's recent dominance and bigger membership base, it is Collingwood who the media choose to focus on. We have had more stories written about us in one of our least successful years than Richmond have had in their premiership winning seasons. We could talk ourselves up forever and look utterly ridiculous if the media and crowds didn't reflect that "truth" in this belief.

Ask any journalist to this day, which club they enjoy focusing on the most for grabbing eyeballs and selling papers and they will say Collingwood every time. So clearly, we are very relevant and significant in the eyes of those whose job it is to write and speak about our football competition.

we're in a bit of a hole but.......
i love it when you go to a game and the pies have a young side, middling and not showing much but have some emerging stars, they then proceed to rip a top side to shreds. i can still feel the electricity from watching our young side in the late 80's when lethal took over.
that my friends is what we have to look forward to once we go through our couple of years of sh*t. the memberships will follow success.

Without doubt, the most electric, exhilarating games are those that you attend when Collingwood is emerging from a sustained period of mediocrity. The hunger and passion is magnified as every cruel putdown and mocking jibe from opposition fans or the media is burned into your heart. When you see those first signs that a resurrection is taking place, the atmosphere is incredible. The 2002 final series is a perfect example. The noise at the 2002 preliminary final was almost other worldly. When Rocca kicked that 75m bomb I thought my goosebumps were in danger of bursting! Those days will come again.

I’ve always said that the core purpose of the Collingwood Football Club is not to win Premierships. It’s to bring pride to the members and supporters. Winning Premierships is just a means to an end - a very important means mind you - but it’s not the end unto itself.

Hardly anybody seems to agree with that opinion, but ironically those who are most emphatically opposed to it also seem to be the same people who loved having their ego stroked by our gameshow ex-President.

As the Romans used to say, “Give the people bread and circuses”.

Respectfully.......bullshit... Win premierships and the fans will follow. We are currently one of the clubs with the largest fanbase because of the premierships in the 20s and 30s and the fact that fathers passed on being a pie supporter to their kids..

my son was a geelong suppoter in 1989. At the end of 1990, he became a Pie supporter. Why? Premiership and his father crying.

Premierships solve all problems.

The marketplace doesn't lie. We are without question, still the most talked about club in the country. Journalists and commentators continually refer to us as just that and they say perception is reality. Even with Richmond's recent dominance and bigger membership base, it is Collingwood who the media choose to focus on. We have had more stories written about us in one of our least successful years than Richmond have had in their premiership winning seasons. We could talk ourselves up forever and look utterly ridiculous if the media and crowds didn't reflect that "truth" in this belief.

Ask any journalist to this day, which club they enjoy focusing on the most for grabbing eyeballs and selling papers and they will say Collingwood every time. So clearly, we are very relevant and significant in the eyes of those whose job it is to write and speak about our football competition.

And what does all this media crap amount to, domie? Diddleysquat....niente....nada....a job for damo.

And yes, many of our members are basketcases, scrambling for something to read about the club. Like an alcoholic, or someone addicted to betting. And we get sucked in everytime. It's not something to be proud of...

Respectfully.......bullshit... Win premierships and the fans will follow. We are currently one of the clubs with the largest fanbase because of the premierships in the 20s and 30s and the fact that fathers passed on being a pie supporter to their kids..

my son was a geelong suppoter in 1989. At the end of 1990, he became a Pie supporter. Why? Premiership and his father crying.

:thumbsdown:

To be fair, Collingwood has always had a relatively huge following from the very first seasons they played. I know the fans' base was geographically bound to their team and that created a deeper connection and sense of pride when the club had some success, nevertheless, the crowds were huge back in the 1890's. You'd have to say we ae loyal too because we have had very little success when measured in flags since 1958 yet the attendances and membership have remained high throughout some very lean decades.

I totally agree! It is all about winning premierships. I do not care about noble losses or hard luck stories. Right now this club is at total rock bottom. In fact if you looked at the season over the latter half of 2021, we would have been wooden spooners in my opinion. For a club that has only won the wooden spoon twice in its history, I think that entering 2022, we are much worse placed than we were when entering 1977 & 2000, respectively. For all the talk & encouragement about last year's crop of draftees, why did we not get one Rising Star nomination? Where are the emerging young key forwards who can actually get on the park & not spend weeks on the injured list? Now I could apply many other metrics but this club is in a diabolical situation at present & going forward. It makes sense that a lot of prospective coaches see the Collingwood coaching job almost equivalent to a poisoned chalice in the current environment. Hopefully, I am going to be proven totally incorrect, but I suspect not. Bye.

And what does all this media crap amount to, domie? Diddleysquat....niente....nada....a job for damo.

And yes, many of our members are basketcases, scrambling for something to read about the club. Like an alcoholic, or someone addicted to betting. And we get sucked in everytime. It's not something to be proud of...
Of course it is. We remain relevant, regardless of our ladder position. There is undoubtedly something magical about our club. Our history is replete with heartache and broken dreams and so many sliding door moments. No other club comes close. What do you mean when you say we get sucked in every time? Any passionate fan wants to read about their club.

That's nice for the journalists - I'm not a journalist - I want flags so I can I jam it up other supporters - BIG TIME

I totally agree! It is all about winning premierships. I do not care about noble losses or hard luck stories. Right now this club is at total rock bottom. In fact if you looked at the season over the latter half of 2021, we would have been wooden spooners in my opinion. For a club that has only won the wooden spoon twice in its history, I think that entering 2022, we are much worse placed than we were when entering 1977 & 2000, respectively. For all the talk & encouragement about last year's crop of draftees, why did we not get one Rising Star nomination? Where are the emerging young key forwards who can actually get on the park & not spend weeks on the injured list? Now I could apply many other metrics but this club is in a diabolical situation at present & going forward. It makes sense that a lot of prospective coaches see the Collingwood coaching job almost equivalent to a poisoned chalice in the current environment. Hopefully, I am going to be proven totally incorrect, but I suspect not. Bye.
Things are never as bad and never as good as they appear to be. We will re-emerge in the next three or four years. I don't think our list is as bad as it was at the end of 1999. As for suggesting coaches are knocking back the opportunity to coach the Pies, I'm not sure who has done this other than Sam Mitchell who had a guaranteed job waiting for him at his own club. Ross Lyon was never a target for our club according to the people following our search. We are casting the net wide and there has been no shortage of candidates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things are never as bad and never as good as they appear to be. We will re-emerge in the next three or four years. I don't think our list is as bad as it was at the end of 1999. As for suggesting coaches are knocking back the opportunity to coach the Pies, I'm not sure who has done this other than Sam Mitchell who had a guaranteed job waiting for him at his own club. Ross Lyon was never a target for our club according to the people following our search. We are casting the net wide and there has been no shortage of candidates.
Which people? Name them!

So do I, but you were suggesting we are no longer relevant and I begged to differ.
We'll always be relevant to the media but I don't equate that with the "relevance of success" . I want us to be so successful we can tell the media to naf off because we don't need them

Why has the club put so many resources into the Do Better report actions? It’s got nothing to do with winning Premierships?

It’s because our members and supporters wouldn’t want to be associated with a racist organisation. That in turn affects membership, sponsorship, and ultimately the financial viability of the club.

IMO the purpose of the club is to bring pride to its members and supporters. Some days that means winning games of footy. Some days that means showcasing young kids streaming through the corridor and kicking goals. Some days that means taking steps to heal our racist past. Some days that means seeing our VFLW girls winning a Prelim final to be undefeated in the season. Some days that means thumping Carlton. And yes, some days that means winning Premierships.

There have only been two days in my life that Collingwood have won Premierships, but Collingwood have brought me a lot more days of pride and joy than simply those two.

Why? I would've that's pretty obvious, and no IMHO it's not just coz the fans want the club to engage in it. I'd be likely right it's to avoid bad pr, it's out there now and if the club were to approach it with a meh attitude it'd be another disaster to deal with.

In fact If I were to put it to a poll of what most Pie fans think is the most important objective, I'd be putting my house on it it'd be flags and that means flags for the senior mens team above all else. That's where your 'pride' is going to come in spades.

Sure it's not the only, all those other things like member engagement and the other teams / sports and community work are important but I doubt the bulk of the fans have 'pride' in our netball team for example. You can take it to the bank that most of us are not 'I follow Collingwood coz of its commitment to the the Do better report'

Have a look at the boards, most of want flags, why? Because we want the club we follow to be the best in the competition, that's what we want. That's a natural human trait - we compete.

Right now the only thing we can hang our hat on is history and a loyal like no other fan base, that's not much to write home to mum about is it. If the club continues in missing the ultimate success then ultimately it will eventually lose its fans, maybe not in our lifetime but it's likely at some point.

And to that end there's no point in hoping the other clubs fail, would be better the club goes out there and performs in all areas that gives the fans a hope and a likelihood of premiership successes, then your 'pride' will automatically follow and in a big way.

This is so true, but the problem is that is the only relevance the club has and if it continues to disappoint its fan base, it will likely lose them and then by extension lose the media attention. Can't last forever.

With all due respect, your sarcasm here is actually pretty close to the mark.

It's history and the hope or witnessing that again that results in our (supposed) behemoth following, there is no other reason. In fact we have more reason than any other club for fans to vote with their feet, no other club has teased its fan base as much as ours.

And no premierships don't solve all problems, but they go a long long way.

We'll be okay. Don't stress.

I think we will too but if we continue to produce almosts, as much as those almosts have given us great hope it will eventually break the fan base if those almosts don't bare fruit. We'd end up like the dees.

Not stressin, just disagreein.

No AA representation at all from our club, would probably be quite a few years since that has happened, but probably fair enough, considering the year from hell.
In saying that, thought Crisp was a bit stiff to miss out.

Why? I would've that's pretty obvious, and no IMHO it's not just coz the fans want the club to engage in it. I'd be likely right it's to avoid bad pr, it's out there now and if the club were to approach it with a meh attitude it'd be another disaster to deal with.

But isn’t that the same thing?

‘Good PR’ = stuff that makes us proud and peeves our opponents (which makes us even more proud). That includes, but is not limited to winning Premierships and healing our racist past.

‘Bad PR’ = stuff that gives us shame and gives our opponents joy (which gives us even more shame)? That includes, but is not limited to being forced to trade out four players in the off season due to salary cap pressure. Doesn’t matter if it made perfect footy sense, the crime was to make us the laughing stock of the competition and Ed, Walsh, Ned Guy, Buckley, Korda needs to pay!!

In fact If I were to put it to a poll of what most Pie fans think is the most important objective, I'd be putting my house on it it'd be flags and that means flags for the senior mens team above all else.

Oh, agree that’s what fans would say. But as Henry Ford once said “If I asked customers what they wanted they would have told me ‘A faster horse’ “.

That's where your 'pride' is going to come in spades.

Sure. But in an 18 team competition that’s heavily equalised (it hasn’t been 18 years yet since our last Premiership, it’s not yet our turn) people are going to live a miserable existence if the only thing that gives them joy is winning AFL Premierships.

Sure it's not the only, all those other things like member engagement and the other teams / sports and community work are important but I doubt the bulk of the fans have 'pride' in our netball team for example.

Of course. And I’d go further and say that for most fans seeing a young player kick a bag of goals in a losing game will give them more pride than our social work. Seeing somebody like Gary Lyon reluctantly admit that Collingwood played well would give a lot of fans pride. There’s little sources of pride everywhere.

You can take it to the bank that most of us are not 'I follow Collingwood coz of its commitment to the the Do better report'

Of course.

But you will get Collingwood fans disengage if they believe that Collingwood is a racist (or sexist, or homophobic, or …, or …) organisation.

And you will get six year old kids getting picked on in the play ground for supporting a racist club (or feel alienated because …) and so they go and follow another club.

Have a look at the boards, most of want flags, why? Because we want the club we follow to be the best in the competition, that's what we want. That's a natural human trait - we compete.

Ask any Essendon supporter whether the supplements scandal justified the pursuit of Premierships?

Ask any Melbourne supporter whether their tanking in the mid 2000’s justified their pursuit of success?

Ask any Carlton supporter whether the pursuit of Premierships justified John Elliott’s brown paper bag policy at the end of the 90’s?

Ask any Storm supporter whether their club’s salary cap cheating and having Premierships stripped off them was worth it?

(And if Premierships are really that important to Collingwood supporters, why do very few believe that missing out on the 2018 Premiership by a kick justified the punt on Dayne Beams? Or back ending Treloar’s contract?)

Right now the only thing we can hang our hat on is history and a loyal like no other fan base, that's not much to write home to mum about is it. If the club continues in missing the ultimate success then ultimately it will eventually lose its fans, maybe not in our lifetime but it's likely at some point.

Not so. Despite us finishing 17th, I had no problem at all listing a stack of things that made me proud of Collingwood in 2021. And in most of those moments I was alongside my Collingwood homies also wearing broad smiles at the time.

And to that end there's no point in hoping the other clubs fail, would be better the club goes out there and performs in all areas that gives the fans a hope and a likelihood of premiership successes, then your 'pride' will automatically follow and in a big way.

As I’ve always said “Premierships are just a means to an end - an extremely important means - but they’re not the only means and they’re certainly not the end.”

Last edited:
Back