Autopsy AAMI Community Series - Game 1, 2021: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

First time I have seen him live and it shows that they have been working with him over pre season to get him onto the end of a lot of recieves. they looked for him all night, and he was always there, for the give and go and receive.

The stopped man on the mark opens it up for him and with some free space he is just devastating with the ball. Interviewed after the game and wouldn't have blown out a candle, said the guys were cramping at 3/4 time but the long game suits him. Looked as happy as a pig in sh!t.

I don't usually wax lyrical about an established player, but with the new rule, and our personnel and gameplan, I was very impressed, more so with Gallagher and the others who have put this team together and identified Hill as the run needed.

well said. he seems to have this nack to place himself in a position to release pressure in the back half with an easy mark.

excited to see a full season

Hill with this years normal quarters, opening of the man of the mark plus a dry deck at Marvel is looking good.

Our best 22 seems to be more balanced and the list more mature, and we still have Ryder and Marshall still to come in as well.

I think we can reach prelim week and possibly be the highest scoring side in the league.

Ratten mentioned that he didn't want to sit him on the bench and play for one quarter like they intended to do for Highmore (before Frawley got hurt) because "It wouldn't be great for his back" so there is clearly still and issue there.

Suggests to me that it takes significant work to get him loose for the game, so sitting on the bench for 3/4 lets it get cold/tight and not great for a "get out there now" call.

At least that's what it sounded like.

I think it's a good rule but people have decided to whinge about it for no particular reason.

I think the rule itself is going to be good, but a 50m penalty is rather excessive for the breach. It didn't cause too much chaos last night, at least, so reasonable chance that it can work, but you'd hate to have a prelim decided by it, Stynes-style.

I think the rule itself is going to be good, but a 50m penalty is rather excessive for the breach. It didn't cause too much chaos last night, at least, so reasonable chance that it can work, but you'd hate to have a prelim decided by it, Stynes-style.
I think that’s the point though. If you go over the mark by a foot it’s a fifty and that’s the old rule. Simple thing is don’t break the rule. And the Stynes infringement was 15 so it doesn’t matter what penalty you have if you are in the wrong position.

Long and battle nearly played themselves out of the side. Think both play but on notice.
I'd want Battle stay in, he's hard edge and straight kicking are beautiful. And he's a utility who has been able to swing forward or back depending what's needed on the day.

Personally I'm ok with Long not being in the side. I've been kinda critical of him in the past, and probably a bit too harsh at times, but for all his flare and toughness he has a habit of selling himself into trouble by doing too much, leading to a free kick and shot on Goal, and he also loves to just cheap shot people to be tough, which leads to a free kick and shot on goal. I swear it happens once a match, if not more with him, and he's had lots of time off thanks to the MRO. I'm happy to stop gambling on if he'll do something great or horrible and stick with someone more consistent, even if their highs aren't as high.

There have been a few comments about Max King needing to be on the lead and running at the ball instead of grappling with his opponent. Being at the game, I like to watch what's going on off the ball which is not always possible watching it on TV. Liam Jones on Max King last night was like Steven Silvagni in his heyday. Well off the ball and sometimes even before the ball was in play, Jones was continually grabbing and holding King by the wrist and arms. This means it is very hard for King to get on the move with a break on his opponent. They were obviously concerned about letting him get that break on them. Not a big deal and something King needs to work through and get better at dealing with. But it's also something the umpires need to get better at policing. After all, that's why there are 3 of them, to pick up those off the ball infringements.
And BTW, Brad Hill was very good.

Kinda rings true with what Dimma was saying the other day - all the umpires watching the bounce, no one watching the key forwards being molested behind the play.

That effort from Lonie to smother Weitering and then get him holding the ball is as good as you get from a pressure forward
I remember watching that passage, getting annoyed at him for not taking the mark, then forgiving him for bouncing back with the smother, then loving him for the 3rd effort tackle.

I think that’s the point though. If you go over the mark by a foot it’s a fifty and that’s the old rule. Simple thing is don’t break the rule. And the Stynes infringement was 15 so it doesn’t matter what penalty you have if you are in the wrong position.

I honestly think the rule will work out well - I also know our propensity to be burned painfully by every single rule in the book just before the league change it up ;)

There have been a few comments about Max King needing to be on the lead and running at the ball instead of grappling with his opponent. Being at the game, I like to watch what's going on off the ball which is not always possible watching it on TV. Liam Jones on Max King last night was like Steven Silvagni in his heyday. Well off the ball and sometimes even before the ball was in play, Jones was continually grabbing and holding King by the wrist and arms. This means it is very hard for King to get on the move with a break on his opponent. They were obviously concerned about letting him get that break on them. Not a big deal and something King needs to work through and get better at dealing with. But it's also something the umpires need to get better at policing. After all, that's why there are 3 of them, to pick up those off the ball infringements.
And BTW, Brad Hill was very good.
Max King was being blanketed by Jones and constantly had extra attention, it was a tough day at the office and I think the stats sheet said he only got 2 marks, neither of which were contested, but he still managed to finish the game with 3 goals despite the tough assignment. It's great that he isn't a 1 trick pony and if he can't get a clear run to hit packs or lead then he can also use his crumbing and athleticism to contribute.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max King was being blanketed by Jones and constantly had extra attention, it as a tough day at the office and I think the stats sheet said he only got 2 marks, neither of which were contested, but he still managed to finish the game with 3 goals despite the tough assignment. It's great that he isn't a 1 trick pony and if he can't get a clear run to hit packs or lead then he can also use his crumbing and athleticism to contribute.
Yep good post
Let him learn his craft, cant wait until he has 50 to 70 games under his belt

Did it plenty last year as well. Kicked two out on the full vs saints last year

He used to kick at about 40% accuracy from memory so that's good for him. A couple of years ago he really cleaned up his kicking, I think Rocca worked with him.

Exactly.

The problem is, especially with Essendon fans imo, is that when your team is underperforming you kick the sh*t outta the ones you've pigeon holed in positions/roles they're not meant to play.

Edit: Take for example Stanton. He was a good player, built perfectly for that outside mid, 4th or 5th mid that can occasionally stand up and have an A grade game.

But we needed him to lead the midfield along side Jobe. He wasn't built to be that player, performed admirably in the role but still had the sh*t kicked outta him at times because he wasn't appreciated for what he was, instead belittled for what he wasn't.

Should also point out before I get burned I don't mean Essendon fans on our forum here.

I remember poor old Stanton getting screamed at by Bomber fans. He'd do something good and they'd still be berating him. He looked broken sometimes. He was probably one of AFLs greatest scape goats. We did it to Clint Jones even when we were playing deep into finals. Stanton always looked pretty good from the outside.

Lonie really got under some skins last night - he's seriously like an annoying little yappy dog snapping at their heels until they lose it - if he can do that all year, and get a couple of backmen more worried about taking cheap shots than playing footy, it's a win for us, I reckon.

The umpires didn't pay a few frees to him and Butler when Carlton targeted them off the ball. Both flopped to exaggerate the contact but the umpires wouldn't get sucked in. It seemed to inspire Lonie to play better.

Talking of going to ground, how slippery was the Marvel surface. It looked pristine but Howard particularly landed hard on his shoulder twice after collecting huge divots of turf. It looked like they were playing in green snow. I didn't see King's ankle but was that the surface too?

I enjoyed the game but felt we leaked way too many goals. I think in reality it wasn’t as bad as I first thought. I also rate carlton’s defence quite highly (best part of their team imo, not team defence but individual players) so that first quarter was a real positive.

The addition of Ryder to stop a lot of those easier goals they took infront of goals will be immense, they also went into that game short with no key forwards, especially when Mcckay went down... those breakaway goals were needed for them and does not suit the likes of Wilkie or Howard. We know our weakness with Patton down is those small forwards and that’s how we got exploited.

Was hoping someone would step up and stop those stoppage goals but, didn’t seem to happen. Will be interesting how the defence holds up against GWS forward line, I’m excited but I think we’re up to the task.

I think Ross looked unexpectedly explosive at times, disposal still killed us with entries. Unsure what the decision is for him.

Carlton would like the look of Fisher, carved us up at times.

After watching the replay Longy wasn’t as bad I thought he was.

All clear Joffaboy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was fine. Had 2-3 poor moments in the space of about 5 minutes. Other than that he was solid. Behind Webster though - who was vg.

Had a laugh at Bytel bullying Cripps in a couple of contests. Bloke has more fake tan than my mrs though.

The guy who was couldn't hit the side of a barn was DMAC. He got right into the play positioned himself well but his disposal was atrocious. I suppose he put it to the advantage numerous times and was getting it any way to a teammate in space but he should be hitting blokes on the tit at this level.

Good to see the mullets making a comeback, my Supercoach team is called the Moorabbin Mullets in honour of the great mullets we had in the past.

Plugger rocked a great mullet back in our Moorabbin heyday.

xZWcFXpC.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back