Recommitted Adam Cerra [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo fans have been discussing it on our board for a while, some are worried, most don't care and are happy to let him concentrate on playing footy during the season
Let's enjoy the ride , no point arguing something that not even going to happen yet , normally deal that get done are the deal that coming out of no way or last minute eg Weller deal :straining:- anybody talking about him going to GC last year in BF during Mid season?

Well the only concrete thing that played out is

We were always taking Brayshaw with our first pick

Which we did

Thanks to GC we ended up with #2 meaning we had our guy at #2 and as fate happened we took Cerra with #5

There is no could've , would've. Thanks to GC we ended up with Cerra on our list

Isn’t that the wrong way around?

Pretty sure we were always into Cerra at 5. Brayshaw was going to go higher, and rumored to go 1 at some stages, but unlikely to get out of the top 4. So when we got 2, we picked him there and let Cerra fall to his original predicted position

Pretty sure we were always into Cerra at 5. Brayshaw was going to go higher, and rumored to go 1 at some stages, but unlikely to get out of the top 4. So when we got 2, we picked him there and let Cerra fall to his original predicted position

You didn't "let" it happen, fate determined that.

No that's what I said, maybe you interpreted it differently

We were always taking Brayshaw with our 1st pick, then GC gave us #2 meaning Brayshaw went #2 and we took best available at #5

No that's what I said, maybe you interpreted it differently

We were always taking Brayshaw with our 1st pick, then GC gave us #2 meaning Brayshaw went #2 and we took best available at #5
Oii not give , Weller and Ballard exchange with pick 2 .

Has TKelly expressed a desire to come home ?

Even so you would need more than a player swap mate, Cerra has way more value

He hasn't officially expressed a desire to come home, but it's been alleged he is keen to return based on his family circumstances. I agree we will need to sweeten the deal, but disagree Cerra has way more value. Kelly is already a very good established AFL player and is about to come into his prime. He is only going to get better. Cerra has all the ability in the world, he looks a great long term prospect but just because he was taken higher in the draft doesn't mean he will be a much better player than Kelly. I understand Kelly is a mature age player and has had more development, but right now he is the best player taken in last years draft. I understand that's likely to change as other players develop over the years.

I'm interested in what Freo fans would think between a couple of choices.

North: pick 10-12 (& possibly a sweetener like Mountford)

or

Geelong: Kelly & pick 50.

Last edited:

or

Geelong: Kelly & pick 40.
I think they will said neither and let him play out his second year. Players change their mind all the time .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't officially expressed a desire to come home, but it's been alleged he is keen to return based on his family circumstances. I agree we will need to sweeten the deal, but disagree Cerra has way more value. Kelly is already a very good established AFL player and is about to come into his prime. He is only going to get better. Cerra has all the ability in the world, he looks a great long term prospect but just because he was taken higher in the draft doesn't mean he will be a much better player than Kelly. I understand Kelly is a mature age player and has had more development, but right now he is the best player taken in last years draft. I understand that's likely to change as other players develop over the years.

That's fine and I really like Kelly, I couldn't believe the weages passed on him.

I would rather keep Cerra and then see what he is like at 23 years old

I see Kelly as an established WAFL player who has shown he can and will make it in the AFL, I predict he will be eternally grateful that Geelong picked him up and will remain at the club throughout his contract

That's fine and I really like Kelly, I couldn't believe the weages passed on him.

I would rather keep Cerra and then see what he is like at 23 years old

I see Kelly as an established WAFL player who has shown he can and will make it in the AFL, I predict he will be eternally grateful that Geelong picked him up and will remain at the club throughout his contract

Yeah fair call. I hope you're right, I really like Kelly and would love to keep him, as you would with Cerra. Here is hoping that both players stay put.

Is that supposed to be like having a beer after the game with opposition .. and saying the 100 point win was a bit lucky?

There is no way , and I mean NO WAY .. Weller is worth p2 ...
I agree Weller per se is not worth pick 2, but he was worth around pick 10 imo. He was in contract, has marketing cred, and they played the fabricated go home story (he lived in Fremantle longer than he lived at the GC didn't he?). He provides them with something which is scarce; a player who will stay with them for his entire remaining career.

To them he could be as valuable as a player such as LUD who will soak up development years and is uncertain as to whether he will actually become a better player. In addition, there is the uncertainty of his staying with GCSs beyond an initial 2 year deal.

In that way he is perhaps similar to Boyd, who is paid overs and was traded for overs as well, yet the Bulldogs now have a premiership to justify that. GCSs are in the worst situation of any club in the AFL, or at best, on a par with Brisbane, Carlton and the Saints. Weller gives them a piece of certainty to put in place, and I can see that being worth the difference between pick 10 and pick 2.

Can you find me a news article from before this topic was made saying he doesn't want to sign? Has only really hit the news cycle in the last day or two. If it was 'common knowledge' before then, why was OP the first to make a thread about it?
He got asked the same question in an interview earlier in the season and said the same thing (ie wait till the end of the year etc). Probably on the FFC website if you are that keen. He hasn't done that many interviews so shouldn't be hard to find.

Before this thread IIRC.

Danyle Pearce would be a fine addition to your midfield it is that poor.

Our midfield isn't great. The addition of Adam Cerra will go a LONG way to rectifying it. Cerra back to Victoria is the worst kept secret in football. I would think St Kilda would be in the race for his signature.

or

Geelong: Kelly & pick 50.
Seeing Cerra was a pick 5 last year and has shown good promise, i doubt either of those deals get close. If Freo got pick 2 for Weller i shudder at what their asking price for Cerra would be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back