TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
I really hope most supporters can put aside their views regarding Goodes' Australian of the year honours, the "incidents" with Eddie and that girl at the MCG and even the recent over the top hysteria regarding his "diving" for free kicks, even for a minute, to recognise what an achievement it is for a great of our game to play his 350th game this week.

Love or hate Adam Goodes, there is no doubting his remarkable individual CV and the influence he has on the Sydney Swans and even the game itself.

Few have been able to dominate games the way he has been able to over the course of his career.

Regarded as one of the most flexible modern day players, he has and still is at times impossible to match up on - that combination of speed, size and strength has allowed him to play in all positions, all over the ground and often make his opponent look completely out sized and out classed.

His career has been filled with so many highlights - some of which I hope make an appearance in this thread this week - but I don't think I could ever forget his clutch goals in the 2006 and 2012 Grand Finals - the latter on one leg.

To me he is one of the all time greats and deserves to be acknowledged as such - regardless of how others view him as a person or what he stands for.

Congratulations on an amazing career Goodesy. I hope there is one last epic chapter left to write.

I don't see this ending well.

Why shouldn't it. He is a great of the modern era. In his prime there were almost no players that could have such a large impact on a game. Also one of the few players that could play in pretty much any position on the ground. Adam Goodes would easily be in the best 22 of the 2001-2010 team of the decade.

A great of the game. Remember watching his first game at the SCG, showed really fight to play on with a dodgy wrist.
If the stars align and we get past North wouldn't be surprised if calls curtains ahead of the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great player in his prime and such a hard match up.
Versatile, can ruck, start roving when the ball hits the ground, he was unique for his size and endurance levels.

Lately - throwing his head back, hands out and flapping like a duck, wide eyed "what about me" to the umpire. Doesn't miss the occasional elbow and will give you the "oh, did I do that" look. He's doing this too much of this cringe worthy stuff these days. Unbearable.

Only in Australia could a man who actively campaigns against racism be hated for that exact reason. Australia is ass-backwards sometimes and uses all sorts of piss weak excuses to justify it.

inb4 B-but he's a dirty player! B-but he's a flog! I-it's nothing to do with racism!

He's a champion player and deserved Aussie of the year. Top bloke.

Only in Australia could a man who actively campaigns against racism be hated for that exact reason. Australia is ass-backwards sometimes and uses all sorts of piss weak excuses to justify it.

inb4 B-but he's a dirty player! B-but he's a flog! I-it's nothing to do with racism!

He's a champion player and deserved Aussie of the year. Top bloke.
There's a difference between campaigning against racism, and being racist yourself

Australia is actually much further advanced in terms of society than a lot of other countries, in that people are not afraid to be labeled for standing up for what they believe in

When goodes first started his equal rights campaign, it was very much "white people are bad," but it has changed a lot, and as such, many people are jumping on board, including Andrew Bolt, who is probably the epitome of the "old Australia"
Goodes has gone from "give us what's ours" to "let's work together"
He's gained a lot of admirers in the past 6 months since he got off his high horse

And as you said. Liking a player has nothing to do with racism, he is an extremely dirty player, and the media refusing to speak up hasn't helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back