Review Adelaide v Sydney - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good
We didn't disgrace ourselves. Could have easily been 10+ goals.
Swans too Good, played their best game for the year. Geelong = beware!

Bad
Froward line struggled. Jenkins really struggled and was held. Swans defense.
These chances don't come often, especially for teams that struggle to have finals success.
Round 23

Ugly
First half
Cannot afford to make a mistake
Round 23

It was a wasted season because of Round 23. It's going to be hard in 2017, but if the players have the belief they can learn from their mistakes in 2016.

FFS this is why you change a winning team because too many passengers get too comfortable and take their place for granted.

There is several players that got picked because they are coaches favorites. Time for gold passes has to *ing end tonight.

Mackay, Thommo, Douglas, should not have played at all for many weeks. Pyke needs to get owned for these selection blunders.

Good:
It is limited, the efforts of Sloane, Laird, Lever pre-injury. Contest provided by Charles Cameron.

Bad:
Pretty much the rest of the team. The usual suspects in Douglas and Mackay, Thommo doing nothing with his touches. Brad Crouch a non entity. Pretty much our midfield didn't rock up at all and the one bloke that was putting his head over the ball in Matt Crouch was producing Clangers faster than Jenkins produces sport related tweets.

Ugly:
Josh Jenkins, worst on ground.
The selection of Josh Jenkins who is clearly injured.
Sam Jacobs the dinosaur, see above post for proof.
Luke Brown putting in a quality squib performance.
Actually selecting the usual finals spuds is ugly too and honestly our chances were killed at the selection table. Really inexcusable when we had pretty much the whole squad to pick from, but I have seen nothing this year to suggest that selection will be any different next year, each year we see guys like Mackay wilt under pressure and each year they get picked.
The fact that Shitney get more success, kissed on the dick by their academies, by their COLA, the AFL. Heartless club with fairweather supporters. Sydney shouldn't have any AFL teams, they don't deserve them.

Great:
Charlie Cameron's 3rd quarter and his attack and intent on the ball. Just so i can reiterate how useless stats are, C Cameron has had 5 tackles tonight. D Mackay had 4 tackles...all the D Mackay defenders quote his tackle stats...C Camerons tackles are TACKLES. D Mackay tackles are handshakes.

Kyle Hartigan consistently beating Franklin one-on-one. Has taken his game to another level this year, and even his disposal looks better.

Levers first quarter and a half...intercept marking, reading the play well, looked switched on.

Good:
Sloane, R Laird, T Lynch, M Crouch all tried hard.

I thought Mackay's first half was OK (and I'm not a fan, have been calling for him to be dropped for some time). He had to be moved back because Brown was sooo bad, and he struggles in defence.

Bad:
Brown has had a terrible back half of the year. I hope he has been carrying something as rumoured on here, otherwise he is at risk of being dropped.

Atkins seemed daunted by the occasion. Had no composure which is usually his trademark.

Disgraceful:
Selecting an injured Jenkins...hello coaches, Jenkins is not your typical 200cm key forward, he relies primarily on athleticism...if he can't run, he is completely useless. How much are our coaches paid to not understand these basic attributes of players they spend all year working with?

Selecting a completely malfunctioning Scott Thompson...I'm sorry, he tried hard, he tackled hard, even kicked a good goal. But if you can't see that Sydney came into tonight's game with a tactic for handball and overlap run that completely destroyed the putrid-cringa-turtle combo of Lyons, M Crouch and S Thompson then you are blind. They exploited a weakness that has been called out on this forum for about 10weeks, ever since Seedsman first went down and we lost our inside/outside balance. S Thompson is the worst of the lot, and for every inside tackle he landed there are 2 completely missed tackles on the outside.Please, please, please, please, please retire S Thompson, you have been a champion. Don't drag on another season so fans start to resent you.

Selecting Douglas. I don't know why the crows invent this non-statistical role. We played M Wright in this position last year, and it is effectively playing 17men against 18. I have a brilliant and novel idea! Instead of selecting the worst midfielder to play HFF for 90% of gamete and only rotate onto the ball about twice, how about selecting a HFF? We only have a talented Menzel, a hard running and working Knight, a poised and balanced Milera and an untried laser bullet kick Wigg who could all put their hand up. That's not even including the option of Henderson or Seedsman playing wing and moving Charlie back forward. For the coaches on $100K+ per year, there are 6 feasible options to improve your team next year, for free :)

Brad Crouch seems off the pace. I'm going to put it down to lack of preseason and a couple of years injured, and hope he gets back to the spark and form that had me excited he could be the next Dangerfield. But it seems every high intensity game this year he has gone missing.

Lever until injured, Hartigan manfully battling on Franklin, Cameron for taking the game on and giving his all.

I wonder how many of our blokes are sitting there now genuinely believing they gave their all? Of those, I wonder how many of those are deluded?

This game was lost on effort. First quarter when we didn't turn up, and last quarter when we had a tiny sniff and didn't give a yelp.

Lost on effort - that's a sad indictment on this team.

Our finals chances for 2016:(

Qh6cmD.gif

charlie was great. huge positive. hartigan did well under the circumstances. lever was playing well before being injured. sloane always tried.

ugly was getting sent an email from the AFL letting me know how to arrange travel arrangements for the week 3 finals....

The predictable happened! No joy in that but the coaching staff not doing anything about it is damning and of concern! Hope that loss will be the making of our club. Manup afc, tough decisions to be made. Can we make them? I hope so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good
- Cameron
- Lever before he got injured

Bad
- Lever's injury
- Our skill errors
- Brown
- B. Crouch, has to do more

Ugly
- Our start
- JJ, should not have played
- Sauce, starting to rack up some pathetic performances
- DMac and Douglas, as senior players they are so underwhelming

In the heat of that loss, it's easy to over-react. Injuries hide the fact that our forward line is potent, our backline is young and developing, but our ruck and midfield is a big worry.

We desperately need a stong midfielder and another with pace and we wouldn't be far away.

Beating Sydney in Sydney in a final is tough, especially when we weren't hard enough at the footy in the first quarter. Tonight is about right for where we are. We were never going to beat Geelong next week.

Thommo is finished and we have sufficient depth to trade well for a quality midfielder.

Good: I didn't pre purchase flights to Melbourne

Bad: I'm gonna bail on a Hen's night because I'm too flat after this and I'll bring the mood down

Ugly: I wore my Crows gear to work today and copped an earful about how we'll get smashed and I adamantly defended the club and said we won't roll over no way.
That customer is absolutely coming back tomorrow to rub it in my face....

Ugly:

We have system that seems hell bent on protecting players that aren't up to it, finding roles for blokes that are barely role players. In finals when systems break down and one on one contests become paramount, you get found out because half your side can't beat their man and that sort of thing cascades.

Thought cameron, matty crouch, cheney, and some might disagree but thought gov went alright. They can hold their heads up,but the rest was pretty shocking. Harto was alright. Replace thommo with a gun younger inside mid n we're instantly better. Brouch needa to take the next step,was poor tonight but can't fault his attack. Matty was very good I thought,his disposal let's him down though. Will be the difference between him becoming elite or not IMO.

A few people blazing away here but missing obvious points. Selecting Jenkins had little to do with losing tonight. The biggest reason we lost tonight was the 4 goal head start we gave them in the first quarter, and our plodding midfield.

Thommo can't play on next year, and although I thought Douglas was decent tonight (not our worst by a long way) , he really doesn't offer enough for a senior player. Ditto for Mackay. I can't see that these two offer more than might be offered by a youngster with a few games in their belt.

We need B Crouch to step up, start getting games into Harry Wigg, hang onto Lyons, and hopefully target a big name to help out Sloane, who has basically carried our midfield all year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

A few people blazing away here but missing obvious points. Selecting Jenkins had little to do with losing tonight. The biggest reason we lost tonight was the 4 goal head start we gave them in the first quarter, and our plodding midfield.

Thommo can't play on next year, and although I thought Douglas was decent tonight (not our worst by a long way) , he really doesn't offer enough for a senior player. Ditto for Mackay. I can't see that these two offer more than might be offered by a youngster with a few games in their belt.

We need B Crouch to step up, start getting games into Harry Wigg, hang onto Lyons, and hopefully target a big name to help out Sloane, who has basically carried our midfield all year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Nope, forget Lyons - was invisible tonight. Otherwise agree.

Mackay, Thommo, Douglas, should not have played at all for many weeks. Pyke needs to get owned for these selection blunders.

He won't though cos the standard of footy "journalists" in this state is diabolical.

Time for Fages to start asking some serious questions of our footy department and sack Noble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back