Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 18 - Crows v Pies Sat July 16th 1:45pm EST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Pies by a goal or less

• Crows by 7 - 20

• Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Or you played near their level, and better teams would've nailed them.

Your percentage is very low for a top 5 side, you will not beat any of Melb/Syd/Carl with the form you're in now. Hell, I'd say Essendon have a great chance to beat you next week.
This is just pure weak. How easy is it to just slag another team without any substance.

We’ve won 8 on the trot, and have done so without playing 4 quarters once. You can easily twist that and say Pies aren’t even getting out it second gear to get the 4 points.

Granted, the Pies form is a concern, but in saying that, when we’ve played against the Dees, Freo, Cats and Lions, we’ve comprehensively won 2 and just lost the other 2 from winnable positions. If anything, Pies are actually a scary prospect come September. Your club in contrast has folded against quality opposition.

When was the last time carlton won 8 in a row you reckon? They use to call 8 wins a good season !
In answer to your question, the year 2000 was the last time Carlton won 8 games or more in a row.

Interestingly, since that time, they have had sequences of 8 or more losses in a row, you guessed it, on 8 separate occasions.

Their 8 wins in 2021 was the highest number of wins they'd returned in a season since 2013, you guessed it, 8 years.

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Last edited:
This is just pure weak. How easy is it to just slag another team without any substance.

We’ve won 8 on the trot, and have done so without playing 4 quarters once. You can easily twist that and say Pies aren’t even getting out it second gear to get the 4 points.

Granted, the Pies form is a concern, but in saying that, when we’ve played against the Dees, Freo, Cats and Lions, we’ve comprehensively won 2 and just lost the other 2 from winnable positions. If anything, Pies are actually a scary prospect come September. Your club in contrast has folded against quality opposition.
There is substance: you're struggling to beat bottom four sides. North, who had you on toast, had an average losing margin of something like 40ish points. You can point to your wins against Freo and Melbourne, sure, but right now you're clearly not playing as well as you had back then - this has been going on for weeks. That eight in a row is not going to mean much if you continue to play like that. Finals aren't won in June and all that, you've a hard 5 weeks coming up.

Let's be honest here, play the Geelong side we played right now and they would've belted you by 10 goals. My club got beaten by the ladder leaders, it was an excepted result, we're not quite top 4 yet but it's not like we don't have scalps either (Freo and Sydney).

There is substance: you're struggling to beat bottom four sides. North, who had you on toast, had an average losing margin of something like 40ish points. You can point to your wins against Freo and Melbourne, sure, but right now you're clearly not playing as well as you had back then - this has been going on for weeks. That eight in a row is not going to mean much if you continue to play like that. Finals aren't won in June and all that, you've a hard 5 weeks coming up.

Let's be honest here, play the Geelong side we played right now and they would've belted you by 10 goals. My club got beaten by the ladder leaders, it was an excepted result, we're not quite top 4 yet but it's not like we don't have scalps either (Freo and Sydney).
What makes Carlton's recent form 5 goals better than Collingwood's?

You've won one of your past 3 matches, that was against the team currently sitting 17th on the ladder, including a loss to a team whose only win in their past six matches is against you?!?

What makes Carlton's recent form 5 goals better than Collingwood's?

You've won one of your past 3 matches, that was against the team currently sitting 17th on the ladder, including a loss to a team whose only win in their past six matches is against you?!?
Because you struggled to beat North, a team that had an average losing margin of 6 goals.

Essendon have every chance to beat you next week. In fact, I suspect we're not going to see much of you in the next few weeks.

Because you struggled to beat North, a team that had an average losing margin of 6 goals.

Essendon have every chance to beat you next week. In fact, I suspect we're not going to see much of you in the next few weeks.
North, the team that beat Richmond yesterday, after Richmond beat Carlton recently?

OK then.

But of course, Richmond aren't the team now that they were when they beat Carlton...

North, the team that beat Richmond yesterday, after Richmond beat Carlton recently?

OK then.

But of course, Richmond aren't the team now that they were when they beat Carlton...
Richmond are playing like crap, but this isn't about Richmond.

Will you be here if Essendon beat you next week? I seriously doubt it.

What does ‘struggling to beat’ mean exactly? We beat the sides infront of us. Again, not sure what you want when Collingwood is one of the most in-form sides in the competition with 8 wins in a row. They’ve won 8 in a row. How are you even talking that down with ‘struggling to beat bottom 4 sides’. North just beat a side that your mob lost against. You seriously think there’s that big a gap between AFL sides? Any side could get the 4 points against any other side in this competition.

Explain your logic around Collingwood losing by 10 goals against the Cats just because your mob only lost by 5 goals. Again, you make statements with zero substance or logic. What does that even mean? We lost to the Cats by 2 goals and should’ve beaten them last time we played them. Where’s your logic that they’d have beaten us by 10 goals? We haven’t lost by 10 goals to anyone this season.

You’re not really backing up anything you’re saying. Just expressing an opinion with zero substance.

What does ‘struggling to beat’ mean exactly? We beat the sides infront of us. Again, not sure what you want when Collingwood is one of the most in-form sides in the competition with 8 wins in a row. They’ve won 8 in a row. How are you even talking that down with ‘struggling to beat bottom 4 sides’. North just beat a side that your mob lost against. You seriously think there’s that big a gap between AFL sides? Any side could get the 4 points against any other side in this competition.

Explain your logic around Collingwood losing by 10 goals against the Cats just because your mob only lost by 5 goals. Again, you make statements with zero substance or logic. What does that even mean? We lost to the Cats by 2 goals and should’ve beaten them last time we played them. Where’s your logic that they’d have beaten us by 10 goals? We haven’t lost by 10 goals to anyone this season.

You’re not really backing up anything you’re saying. Just expressing an opinion with zero substance.
It means exactly what it means. You couldn't put these sides away until the final minutes of the game. You're not really "in-form" right now because you're not playing at a level anywhere near earlier this streak, given that you're struggling against bottom four sides. A true in-form team would be beating these sides comfortably. You're not going to beat the better teams, or win a final, playing like you are currently. And that's the substance here, really, something you even admit that's of concern. Alright, so you beat Freo and Melbourne... over a month ago. Swap them with Adelaide or North, would you have beaten them recently? Most likely not.

Richmond lost to North... yeah, and? They played terribly (they missed a LOT of shots on goal), and were clearly not in the same form that beat my side over a month ago (if they kicked that poorly at goal they would've lost), or ran the Cats to three points. Geelong at one point were sitting 5-4 and were looking no where near like a top four side (let alone in Round 3 when they beat you). Right now they're the best side in the competition, and logic would dictate that they'd trash a side who can't put bottom four sides away. Not hard to see where that logic comes from. But if you're going to use games irrelevant to your current form, then I could just as easily cite the West Coast game, where you lost to what was essentially a VFL side. But you're not going to refer to that one, are you?

I'll be honest with you, you're one of the most unconvincing "8 in a row" sides I've ever seen and you're not as good as your ladder spot indicates. Many of your wins have been under a goal, against bottom four sides, your percentage is really low and you have a run home where it is more than possible that you'll lose more than you win if you keep the form you're in now. I would much rather play you guys than Freo in Perth, or Sydney in Sydney, with the way the ladder is shaping up now. That is certainly not an unreasonable stance to take.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It means exactly what it means. You couldn't put these sides away until the final minutes of the game. You're not really "in-form" right now because you're not playing at a level anywhere near earlier this streak, given that you're struggling against bottom four sides. A true in-form team would be beating these sides comfortably. You're not going to beat the better teams, or win a final, playing like you are currently. And that's the substance here, really, something you even admit that's of concern. Alright, so you beat Freo and Melbourne... over a month ago. Swap them with Adelaide or North, would you have beaten them recently? Most likely not.

Richmond lost to North... yeah, and? They played terribly (they missed a LOT of shots on goal), and were clearly not in the same form that beat my side over a month ago (if they kicked that poorly at goal they would've lost), or ran the Cats to three points. Geelong at one point were sitting 5-4 and were looking no where near like a top four side (let alone in Round 3 when they beat you). Right now they're the best side in the competition, and logic would dictate that they'd trash a side who can't put bottom four sides away. Not hard to see where that logic comes from. But if you're going to use games irrelevant to your current form, then I could just as easily cite the West Coast game, where you lost to what was essentially a VFL side. But you're not going to refer to that one, are you?

I'll be honest with you, you're one of the most unconvincing "8 in a row" sides I've ever seen and you're not as good as your ladder spot indicates. Many of your wins have been under a goal, against bottom four sides, your percentage is really low and you have a run home where it is more than possible that you'll lose more than you win if you keep the form you're in now. I would much rather play you guys than Freo in Perth, or Sydney in Sydney, with the way the ladder is shaping up now. That is certainly not an unreasonable stance to take.
Are you glad you got that off your chest?

Does the AFL penalise us a few spots on the ladder because Thrawn isn't terribly convinced by our eight game winning streak?

There is no doubt the crows would have beaten Carlton on Saturday with the amount of pressure they brought
Yep. Two players from the Crows had 37 tackles between them.

Geelong showed what happens to Carlton when you bring some pressure against them, and it ain't pretty.

Are you glad you got that off your chest?

Does the AFL penalise us a few spots on the ladder because Thrawn isn't terribly convinced by our eight game winning streak?
It's called having a discussion.

If you're going to make infantile comments like this, then I might as well put you on ignore. Go annoy Chism or something.

Geelong showed what happens to Carlton when you bring some pressure against them, and it ain't pretty.
Like they've done to most teams, Melbourne included? Terrific analysis, Jobe.

So Richmond’s inaccuracy cost them their game against North? And when it suits your argument, you want to bring up the Coll v WCE game and not mention our inaccuracy? If Collingwood had kicked straight that game, we would’ve won too by your logic (10.14 to 14.3).

All I know is Pies are getting the job done, whether it’s against a bottom 4 side or not, they’re getting the wins, and that’s why they’re sitting equal 3rd on the ladder. Would we have liked to win by more to bump up the %? Sure, but at the end of the day, we’re walking away with the 4 points and have done so for the last 2 months straight.

As you said, premierships aren’t won in June/July, but wins racked up then (and how they’re racked up) mean sweet f all. I’d much rather be in Collingwood’s shoes than Carlton’s right now because we’re a game closer to sealing a finals spot. As long as we continue banking the wins, we’re doing what needs to be done come September.

Do I think the Pies can win the flag? Probably not, but we’re doing the best possible job to stay in it when we theoretically shouldn’t even be anywhere near it this year with a first year coach and a lopsided list.

Bag that out all you want, I reckon most AFL fans would be pleasantly surprised with Collingwood’s form and there’s not a lot we can be complaining about as Magpie fans.

But we got the Ws. We’ve done it 8 times in a row now. What the heck else do you want Collingwood to be doing?
100% this

Carlton flogs up and about. I guess after 25 years of being shite, one would expect nothing less.

Pies look ok. 8 in a row is nothing to sneeze at. At the end of the day, who cares who you beat and by how much? A win is a win.

Last edited:
So Richmond’s inaccuracy cost them their game against North? And when it suits your argument, you want to bring up the Coll v WCE game and not mention our inaccuracy? If Collingwood had kicked straight that game, we would’ve won too by your logic (10.14 to 14.3).

All I know is Pies are getting the job done, whether it’s against a bottom 4 side or not, they’re getting the wins, and that’s why they’re sitting equal 3rd on the ladder. Would we have liked to win by more to bump up the %? Sure, but at the end of the day, we’re walking away with the 4 points and have done so for the last 2 months straight.

As you said, premierships aren’t won in June/July, but wins racked up then (and how they’re racked up) mean sweet f all. I’d much rather be in Collingwood’s shoes than Carlton’s right now because we’re a game closer to sealing a finals spot. As long as we continue banking the wins, we’re doing what needs to be done come September.

Do I think the Pies can win the flag? Probably not, but we’re doing the best possible job to stay in it when we theoretically shouldn’t even be anywhere near it this year with a first year coach and a lopsided list.

Bag that out all you want, I reckon most AFL fans would be pleasantly surprised with Collingwood’s form and there’s not a lot we can be complaining about as Magpie fans.
Yep, it certainly did. Similar to us vs St. Kilda. The whole point bringing up the WCE game was to demonstrate that brining up games at the start of the season isn't so relevant to recent form (ie. if you're going to bring the Geelong game up then I can bring up the WCE game).

Equal 3rd... no such thing. The difference of percentage between you and the top three sides is worth a game in hand, given how close the W/L ratio is. That percentage might make the difference between top 4 or not... or even top 8 or not!

Though that said, a Carl/Coll EF is very possible so let's hope we both win enough to make that a reality!

How do you rate Melbourne's recent form, with 3 wins from their past 7 matches?

Or are you going on what they achieved in September 2021?
Melbourne aren't playing so well as of late, but are too good a side to just continue like that. They'll go up a few gears and clean house when it really matters.

Equal 3rd... no such thing. The difference of percentage between you and the top three sides is worth a game in hand, given how close the W/L ratio is. That percentage might make the difference between top 4 or not... or even top 8 or not!
Guess the Pies are lucky the ladder is ordered by games won first and foremost, followed by percentages as a tiebreaker.

Hang on, it's not luck....

How do you rate Melbourne's recent form, with 3 wins from their past 7 matches?

Or are you going on what they achieved in September 2021?

You literally form your opinions on teams forms from a decade ago...

"Melbourne will miss the 8 whilst Collingwood and WCE will contend again, because history shows they always do"
"Carlton will never play finals again because as recent history shows, bla bla bla"

At the end of the day, who cares who you beat and by how much? A win is a win.
Guess the Pies are lucky the ladder is ordered by games won first and foremost, followed by percentages as a tiebreaker.

Hang on, it's not luck....
Percentage is important this year given the relative closeness of games won. Do you disagree with this assessment?

Back